DIY Speed Cameras and Signs on Public Road - Legal?

Options

Comments

• twhitehousescat
    Options
    in which case if you stay below 30 , it will like many many other cameras record you , but not save your info as you would be doing less than the threshold speed

information for a police prosicution must come from a police officer or from a prescribed recording device , not "Mr blogs" £50 ebay china kit
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    The problem is that it appears that a private household or security company could be illegally recording every person who drives down that road.

Not possible. It is absolutely impossible to illegally record someone driving down the road, walking down the road, singing or dancing down the road.

It is not illegal to film people in a public place and you do not require their permission to do so. The person or company doing the recording is not doing anything wrong.
  • George_Michael
    George_Michael Posts: 4,251 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 17 October 2018 at 10:53PM
    Options
    Tarambor wrote: »
    Not possible. It is absolutely impossible to illegally record someone driving down the road, walking down the road, singing or dancing down the road.

It is not illegal to film people in a public place and you do not require their permission to do so. The person or company doing the recording is not doing anything wrong.

Totally wrong I'm afraid.
    If you are a business and you have any form of CCTV system that records anyone who is not part of that business then you must legally be registered with the ICO as a data processor and you must comply with the requirements of the data protection act.

If you are a private individual and you have CCTV on your property and this records anyone or anything outside of the boundaries of your property then you must legally register with the ICO and comply with the requirements of the Data protection act.

So yes, if you are not registered with the ICO then it is very easy to be acting illegally when recording someone who is "driving down the road, walking down the road, singing or dancing down the road"
  • ElefantEd
    ElefantEd Posts: 1,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Where do dashcams come into this then? Are they all illegal? I don't imagine all dashcam owners have registered with the ICO!
  • George_Michael
    Options
    Dashcams are not covered by the requirement to be registered because they don't class as CCTV devices.
    A CCTV system (according to the ICO) is a fixed surveillance camera which a dashcam won't be as it is moving inside your vehicle.
    This is why you can legally use your mobile phone or other form of video or still camera in public places and be exempt from the requirement to be registered.
  • TadleyBaggie
    Options
    You see nothing wrong with people who have no business to do so potentially recording you every time you drive down a road just because they happen to live there? Hey ho.
    I was only commenting on the road signs. I (and you) have no idea what those cameras are and who operates them
  • Ergates
    Ergates Posts: 2,108 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    The problem is that it appears that a private household or security company could be illegally recording every person who drives down that road.

I may not be doing anything wrong but the person doing the recording likely is. That's the problem.

Counterpoint: Do you have any reason to believe that the person or persons operating those cameras* is not complying with all necessary laws?
  • unforeseen
    unforeseen Posts: 7,284 Forumite
    Options
    Those cameras look as though they are looking down the side and across the front of that building, not the road.
  • neilmcl
    neilmcl Posts: 19,460 Forumite
    Options
    unforeseen wrote: »
    Those cameras look as though they are looking down the side and across the front of that building, not the road.
    The cameras look fake to me.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-beds-bucks-herts-45680617
  • JP1978
    JP1978 Posts: 527 Forumite
    Options
    Totally wrong I'm afraid.
    If you are a business and you have any form of CCTV system that records anyone who is not part of that business then you must legally be registered with the ICO as a data processor and you must comply with the requirements of the data protection act.

If you are a private individual and you have CCTV on your property and this records anyone or anything outside of the boundaries of your property then you must legally register with the ICO and comply with the requirements of the Data protection act.

So yes, if you are not registered with the ICO then it is very easy to be acting illegally when recording someone who is "driving down the road, walking down the road, singing or dancing down the road"

Actually, you are wrong.

The DPA does not, never has and never will apply to private individuals. So, by putting that nugget of inaccurate information in your post to me makes your whole post inaccurate.

And no, a private individual does NOT have to register with the ICO - as long as they stick with basic guidelines on how the system is set up.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure