Barclays blue rewards

Options

Comments

• isasmurf
    isasmurf Posts: 1,999 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    benjus wrote: »
    I guess for some reason they failed to identify you electronically and this is their backup system.

When I opened a Barclays current account a couple of years ago the whole process was completed online and I had an account number and sort code at the end of it. Of course I had to wait for my card to arrive in the post before I could really use it but no need to go to a branch.

You can open a Barclays account online without the need to take ID into a branch, but to do a switch Barclays require you to have your ID verified in a branch.
  • DennisTenus
    Options
    Well I just asked them on Twitter (amazingly the best way to get answers from Banks usually very quickly)
    Me
    Planning to switch my current account to you and open a premier account. Am I able to do the whole switching/opening process online without visiting a branch?

Barclays UK Help
    Hi. Yes, you can arrange to open and account and use the Switch Service via the online application here: https://!!!!!!/2CKSkgY . Do you have any questions about the account?

Me
    No thanks just checking I won't need to go to branch
  • derrick
    derrick Posts: 7,424 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 16 October 2018 at 11:43AM
    Options
    Well I just asked them on Twitter (amazingly the best way to get answers from Banks usually very quickly)

I have been told categorically that you cannot do a switch online, both on the phone with the switching team, ( a "switching team" that can't switch!), and in branch when doing the switch.

I went in yesterday to switch a second account and because I had forgotten my PIN I had to return today, I was told on both occasions Barclays will not allow a switch, (first or subsequent), online and it has to be face to face.

Don`t steal - the Government doesn`t like the competition

• DennisTenus
    Options
    derrick wrote: »
    I have been told categorically that you cannot do a switch online, both on the phone with the switching team, ( a "switching team" that can't switch!), and in branch when doing the switch.

I went in yesterday to switch a second account and because I had forgotten my PIN I had to return today, I was told on both occasions Barclays will not allow a switch, (first or subsequent), online and it5 has to be face to face.

Bit worrying..... I'll ask them again :(
  • derrick
    Options
    I doubt anyone has received this double reward payment as of yet, but does anyone know when it will be added to the wallet?

From their T&C's, (my bold) : - Double/Triple Rewards will be paid into your Barclays Blue Rewards wallet as a separate payment, later in the month than the standard Barclays Blue Rewards you receive.

• EarthBoy
    EarthBoy Posts: 3,041 Forumite
    Options
    I applied for a Barclays current account online and the system asked if I wanted to switch another account as part of the account opening process. If I did, (so the system said) I could arrange it there and then online. It also clearly said that if I decided to switch later, instead, I would have to visit a branch to arrange it.

I selected "no", so I don't know what the system asks for if you choose to switch straightaway, but from the wording I presume you wouldn't in that case have to visit a branch, otherwise there would be no point in them asking whether you wanted to switch or not, and they could just tell you to visit a branch to do it.

However, once the account is open, there is no way to switch to an existing Barclays account online (or even over the phone). The website is clear that you must visit a branch to do it.
  • Ed-1
    Ed-1 Posts: 3,892 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    EarthBoy wrote: »
    I applied for a Barclays current account online and the system asked if I wanted to switch another account as part of the account opening process. If I did, (so the system said) I could arrange it there and then online. It also clearly said that if I decided to switch later, instead, I would have to visit a branch to arrange it.

I selected "no", so I don't know what the system asks for if you choose to switch straightaway, but from the wording I presume you wouldn't in that case have to visit a branch, otherwise there would be no point in them asking whether you wanted to switch or not, and they could just tell you to visit a branch to do it.

However, once the account is open, there is no way to switch to an existing Barclays account online (or even over the phone). The website is clear that you must visit a branch to do it.

Barclays' policy is to give you 5 working days to visit a branch with ID before a switch will go ahead even if this was requested online as part of the application.
  • DennisTenus
    Options
    derrick wrote: »

I went in yesterday to switch a second account and because I had forgotten my PIN I had to return today, I was told on both occasions Barclays will not allow a switch, (first or subsequent), online and it has to be face to face.

Asked them again, and they have indeed confirmed what you have said.... but clearly told me the opposite previously
  • clivep
    clivep Posts: 577 Forumite
    Options
    Ed-1 wrote: »
    Barclays' policy is to give you 5 working days to visit a branch with ID before a switch will go ahead even if this was requested online as part of the application.

Indeed.

At the end of an online application for new account with switch request the following is shown...

"What happens next?

You'll need to visit one of our branches within 5 working days to confirm your identity. If you can't provide ID within this time, we'll have to cancel your switch".

The ID requirement is for the switch NOT the account opening. Weird. I've had current a/cs with most of the big players now and never had this before.

We opened our sole a/cs on Saturday and had the appointments at the bank yesterday. Whilst there I requested card readers. Just as well as although it says you can do some things online without the card reader such as paying an existing payee you need the card reader to set up a new payee in the first place! Requesting a card reader was not being shown as an option to choose in my online a/c.

So the switch should be going ahead but when this will happen is unclear. There is no option to enter a switch date when setting up the switch online and I was not asked about this during my visit to the branch. When it starts or completes is anyone's guess.
  • derrick
    Options
    clivep wrote: »
    Indeed.

At the end of an online application for new account with switch request the following is shown...

"What happens next?

You'll need to visit one of our branches within 5 working days to confirm your identity. If you can't provide ID within this time, we'll have to cancel your switch".

The ID requirement is for the switch NOT the account opening. Weird. I've had current a/cs with most of the big players now and never had this before.

We opened our sole a/cs on Saturday and had the appointments at the bank yesterday. Whilst there I requested card readers. Just as well as although it says you can do some things online without the card reader such as paying an existing payee you need the card reader to set up a new payee in the first place! Requesting a card reader was not being shown as an option to choose in my online a/c.

So the switch should be going ahead but when this will happen is unclear. There is no option to enter a switch date when setting up the switch online and I was not asked about this during my visit to the branch. When it starts or completes is anyone's guess.

When I went in this morning I was told the switch had started and would be complete on 24th, (7 working days), as per CASS.

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport