Comments

• datz
    datz Posts: 159 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 14 October 2018 at 6:56PM
    Options
    clivep wrote: »
    Thanks for that Datz.

Is the "only one blue rewards wallet per customer" statement made from your own experience or from any of the t'c & c's you've come across?

When their eligibility criteria state "There’s one wallet per Barclays current account per customer" surely this means...
    1. multiple current current accounts are allowed.
    2. each current account can have it's own wallet.
    3. multiple current accounts cannot share a wallet.
    The deduction would therefore be that you could have multiple wallets for multiple current accounts.

I'll ask in the branch tomorrow when we have our appointments to submit our documents for our switches. Also, if the joint application goes through then I should find out for myself whether or not I can get rewards for this in addition for those for the sole accounts.

I agree that wording could be a little less ambiguous.

Blue Rewards is a Barclays-wide feature that you switch on. It is not an add-on that you can attach to individual accounts (do not think of it as like the Bank of Scotland's Vantage system). Yes, you do need to nominate a current account as part of the activation process, but you get just one blue rewards wallet after activating the blue rewards feature. Any blue rewards get paid monthly into that wallet - based on what qualifying products you have with Barclays (current acc (required), mortgate, loan, etc).

The "(Direct Debit) Loyalty Reward" refers to the blue rewards you get for each of the first 2 DDs coming out of your linked/nominated current account (this current account also needs to meet the £800 pay-in/month criteria and is also where your £3/month fee is taken from). You can only benefit from this to a maximum of 2x£3.50 per month (before any double/triple promotions). Even if you could link more than one current account (which you can't), you would still be limited by only being able to claim this Loyalty Reward up to that value each month.

If you want the more expansive version of the T&Cs (not just the abbreviated sales pitch), see the following link (edit: forum restricts how I can post links):

barclays.co.uk/current-accounts/blue-rewards-terms-conditions/

Regarding joint current accounts, see the following clause (discussed in the 'Joint Products' section):

Where Direct Debits are paid from a joint nominated account
    Any Direct Debits paid from a joint nominated account will be eligible for the Direct Debit Loyalty Reward. The customer who has nominated that account for Barclays Blue Rewards will get 100% of the reward.

Also:

Your account can be a joint account, but only one of you will be able to join Barclays Blue Rewards from that account – so we’ll tell the other person if you join so they know they can’t also use that account to join Barclays Blue Rewards.
  • soulsaver
    soulsaver Posts: 5,979 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    @CliveP
    "When their eligibility criteria state "There’s one wallet per Barclays current account per customer" surely this means..."

My take on that is that if they have more than one, the customer can nominate which current account is linked to the (single) reward wallet a customer is allowed. But I'm happy to be proved wrong...:)
  • clivep
    clivep Posts: 577 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    So the (probably correct) opinion would appear to be that the eligibility criteria means...
    There’s one wallet per customer. Only one Barclays current account can be linked to this wallet.

If they used wording such as this then there would be no confusion.

I may as well allow the joint application to continue so that I can get a definitive answer. I'll then not bother to instigate a switch but rather close the new joint a/c within the 14 day cooling off period.
  • soulsaver
    Options
    clivep wrote: »
    So the (probably correct) opinion would appear to be that the eligibility criteria means...
    There’s one wallet per customer. Only one Barclays current account can be linked to this wallet.

If they used wording such as this then there would be no confusion.

Are you sure there'd be no confusion?

How about, "I thought you could get rewards on other products, not 'only one current account?'" :)
  • Jaith
    Jaith Posts: 26 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    For anybody who is considering switching to this from another bank for the rewards - note that you have to bring documents in to a branch to complete the process.

I've switched secondary bank accounts around 5 times in the past for cashback/offers, but I wouldn't have bothered with Barclays had I known upfront. Appointments had to be booked, and it's 20 minutes to my nearest branch which actually did appointments. Just to rub it in, I booked the first appointment of day, and the advisor rocked up 15 minutes late, apparently thinking that the start time of the first appointment is the time to show up to work and fix a coffee / have a chat etc... I asked the floor manager a couple of times who was obviously embarrased, but none of the several other free staff were able to help as it was already booked in.

I've switched around 5 times for cashback and never had to physically go into a branch before.
  • DennisTenus
    Options
    Jaith wrote: »
    For anybody who is considering switching to this from another bank for the rewards - note that you have to bring documents in to a branch to complete the process.

I've switched secondary bank accounts around 5 times in the past for cashback/offers, but I wouldn't have bothered with Barclays had I known upfront. Appointments had to be booked, and it's 20 minutes to my nearest branch which actually did appointments. Just to rub it in, I booked the first appointment of day, and the advisor rocked up 15 minutes late, apparently thinking that the start time of the first appointment is the time to show up to work and fix a coffee / have a chat etc... I asked the floor manager a couple of times who was obviously embarrased, but none of the several other free staff were able to help as it was already booked in.

I've switched around 5 times for cashback and never had to physically go into a branch before.

Thanks for letting us know about this. I would be equally annoyed and I was planning to switch an account to them. I take it you weren't a customer before? What documents did they need? How long did it take?
  • KTF
    KTF Posts: 4,820 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Passport and drivers is enough for ID.
  • DennisTenus
    Options
    Shouldn't have to go to branch for it though

I never have had to do that for any other bank either
  • soulsaver
    Options
    Shouldn't have to go to branch for it though

I never have had to do that for any other bank either

VM store reg saver..?
  • benjus
    benjus Posts: 5,433 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Jaith wrote: »

I guess for some reason they failed to identify you electronically and this is their backup system.

When I opened a Barclays current account a couple of years ago the whole process was completed online and I had an account number and sort code at the end of it. Of course I had to wait for my card to arrive in the post before I could really use it but no need to go to a branch.
    Let's settle this like gentlemen: armed with heavy sticks
    On a rotating plate, with spikes like Flash Gordon
    And you're Peter Duncan; I gave you fair warning
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills