New Post Advanced Search
Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.

TUI plane seat reservation

98 replies 29.6K views

Replies

• bagand96bagand96 Forumite
    4.2K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    I pointed out that I needed to sit where I was so the would know who's body it was if the plane crashed on take off!

Whilst the crew may ask passengers to remain in their allocated seats, the reason for it is never this. If the worst did happen, this is not how casualties are identified. Generally if you’re asked to stay in your allocated seat it will be for aircraft weight and balance reasons.
  • This article on skyscanners suggests I'm not alone:

79-won-t-pay-reserve-plane-seat:

"More than 500 people voted in the poll, with the majority saying they wouldn’t part with any extra money just to reserve their seat. 32% claimed it was just another ‘rip off’ tactic; 28% said reserved seating should be a basic right on all flights, and 20% said they’d rather travel with another airline that allows passengers to choose a seat for free."
  • bradders1983bradders1983 Forumite
    5.2K posts
    1,000 Posts Third Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Well dont pay the money then, just dont kick up a stink if you get to the airport and the only seats left are separate from each other.

Can you at least admit you were wrong about Thomas Cook?
  • giraffe69giraffe69 Forumite
    3.2K posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    daveleics wrote: »
    "More than 500 people voted in the poll, with the majority saying they wouldn’t part with any extra money just to reserve their seat. 32% claimed it was just another ‘rip off’ tactic; 28% said reserved seating should be a basic right on all flights, and 20% said they’d rather travel with another airline that allows passengers to choose a seat for free."

I don't see why it is a rip off but completely understand if people don't wish to pay. If 20% would go to another airline then they may struggle to find one (at least for shorthaul) that doesn't do this. The idea that "reserved seating ought to be a basic right" is laughable:rotfl:. It might be a want. do you think that if a lot of people did vote with their feet the practice would continue?
    I travelled, last week, on a plane and they no longer provide a drink or food unless you pay. I think it is my inalienable right to have a free G+T along with a hot snack. Of course I could if I travelled business class but the word "free" would then be under some strain.
    5.2K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    What some people dont actually realise is that if they want seating included in the price of the basic ticket, all the airlines will do is put the price of the basic tickets up by the cost it currently costs to allocate yourself a seat.
  • Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.
  • jpsartrejpsartre Forumite
    4K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    This article on skyscanners suggests I'm not alone:

79-won-t-pay-reserve-plane-seat:

What's your point? Nobody's arguing that you're doing something wrong by opting not to pay for prebooking seats. What people are telling you is that it's standard policy for airlines to charge for seat selection, at least before check-in opens. How does the survey you quote contradict any of this?
  • My point is that there's an element of emotional blackmail here that is obviously reflected in the report. If I bought a bus or train ticket in advance I wouldn't expect to pay extra to reserve a seat. I would like to know how the airline justifies the charge? or specifically, what work is involved in reserving a seat in advance, over and above the work involved to give a passenger a seat, next to their family, when they check in at the airport? my guess is none. In which case, what justifies the charge? It's a rip off. Then again there are plenty of mugs in this country if this forum is anything to go by. No wonder they get away with it.
    5.2K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Get away with what?
  • TadleyBaggieTadleyBaggie Forumite
    3.9K posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    I pay the extra willingly, not necessarily to ensure I we can sit together but to get a seat in the area of the plane I want. If you don't care, then don't pay it.
  • PollycatPollycat Forumite
    29.5K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Savvy Shopper!
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My point is that there's an element of emotional blackmail here that is obviously reflected in the report. If I bought a bus or train ticket in advance I wouldn't expect to pay extra to reserve a seat. I would like to know how the airline justifies the charge? or specifically, what work is involved in reserving a seat in advance, over and above the work involved to give a passenger a seat, next to their family, when they check in at the airport? my guess is none. In which case, what justifies the charge? It's a rip off. Then again there are plenty of mugs in this country if this forum is anything to go by. No wonder they get away with it.
    Lordy! Lordy!
    Exaggerate much?
    There really is no emotional blackmail.
    Pay to sit next to 'your loved ones' if the 'fear of not sitting next to your family is the driving factor'.
    I certainly don't feel 'compelled to reserve their (my) seats'.
    I will choose to pay to select my seats if it suits me.
    No blackmail.
    Just a simple choice.

You may have been lucky in the past that you've not been separated from your family, but be aware that it could happen on any flight.
    And you have a cat-in-hell's chance of me moving to accommodate you and your family.