Options

Comments

• Hazelnutty
    Hazelnutty Posts: 720 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 15 October 2018 at 5:28PM
    Options
    Evening all!

A pretty quiet day. Did a Magic Freebies spend on a silver bracelet (£40 just pay £3.99 P&P) which will be lovely for OH. Bargain basement cat litter for £1.80. My life is so glam! Lovely batch cooking for lunch - OH made a lovely Italian veg, bean and pasta soup (although it's so thick it's more like a stew), which you serve with parmesan. Yums. She's also made this amazing slow cooker veggie chilli with some kind of chipotle paste that's super fiery so that'll be on the menu tomorrow. It all feels pretty positive.

DD also got up, got herself ready and fed the cats this morning, which just makes such a difference to the usual performance. Was rewarded with a Costa chocolate babyccino :)

Still feeling super tired today and even had to go for a lie down mid-afternoon. Playing netball this evening and can't cry off as we're missing some key players. It'll either totally knock me out or shake me out of my lethargy.

Heard today that my deposit in the new Chartered Savings account has been received, which is really quick. So as soon as I have my ISA closed I'll set up the bond with them too. Two more FB no shows today :(

Happy Mondays, everyone!

Hazel
    Choose kind:)
  • Hazelnutty
    Options
    Evening!

So my ISA at NW has closed and I have the princely sum of £63.10 in interest, which I've just OP'd. The capital I'm going to stash in Chartered Savings 1-year bond. My mortgage anniversary is coming up at the end of November - looking forward to seeing where I am and then I can set a target for 2019 and be an official MFW :)

Hasn't been a productive day but then I always knew it would be something of a recovery day after the print deadline. I'll need to be back on it tomorrow :D Did stop by the various charity shop furniture places today and saw a couple of useful bits I might come back and get. I do love those places and it's amazing what you can find there.

Lovely veggie chilli for lunch - it was a truly ma-hoo-sive batch cook and we still have about 8 portions left! Last big shop was 5th October and no sign of needing another any time soon (except the odd loaf of bread and pint of milk). Really pleased about that.

DD and I went out for a little jog in the park after school. She's in training for Y4 cross-country! I get the feeling there are some classroom rivalries being played out in this event :rotfl: We ended up walking and chatting as much as running but it's still good to be out. Been roped into another hockey match at the weekend so I'll be stiff as hell for at least 3 days :o
  • the_cross_rabbit
    Options
    Sounds like your run turned into a good bonding session with your DD. Whenever I think something is bothering my 2 I find if you go for a walk they are more likely to tell you what's going off. Also you don't the usual responses of a teenager grunt, shoulder shrug or the worst one nothing is wrong.
  • pinkypig
    pinkypig Posts: 1,814 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Hiya Nutty :wave:

Well done on your batch cooking - it saves a fortune but the best thing is having yummy, healthy food at the end of a busy day with no cooking to do:D
    Excellent news on the run. Did it lift your lethargy? I often find it boosts my energy and my mood when I'm feeling a bit weary:D. Great that your DD is keen too!

PP x
    Original mortgage £112,000 . Final payment due August 2027.
    Mortgage neutral achieved August 2020 - 7 years early!!!
  • Hazelnutty
    Hazelnutty Posts: 720 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 17 October 2018 at 9:33AM
    Options
    Hi PinkyPig and CrossRabbit! Thanks for your posts. It really was nice to go out. I always feel better in the outdoors (I'm not a gym nut) and woodland in particular. The leaves are underfoot now (but haven't yet turned into a boggy mess) and it's just lovely. I agree, CR, it's a good time to talk. Luckily DD is still quite chatty, even to the dreaded 'how was school?' question! But she does tend to give me the PR version of things and getting to what's really going on can be difficult.

Speaking of batch cooking, OH is mass baking as we speak. One of the mums is doing a trek for our local hospice and so we're baking for the coffee morning on Sunday. It's a hard job but I have to check all the test bakes today... Which is probably why I've put on a good stone since we've been together!

CC bill has come through, under budget and that's including DD's new bed! Really pleased. Think I'll split the underspend between savings and OP (it's not much but about £110 to each)
  • Hazelnutty
    Options
    I'm not one given to national stereotypes but I think I've just been very British and it's cost me a tenner!

So as you all know I'm clearing out what I call the storage room, which is actually the sitting room. One of the things I wanted to put in there was a desk - my mum comes to stay and works on her lap in the spare room, plus useful for household bits and bobs jobs. So last night I see what looks like a lovely flip-top desk, so I arrange to collect this morning.

Get to the house and it's just awful. Too low but also just really shoddy and cheap. It won't work at all. I'm not blaming the seller - they were perfectly nice and there was no misrepresentation - I just needed to say thanks but no thanks. But I'm way too embarrassed to make an excuse like 'I'm ever so sorry, I need something a little higher as I'm tall'. I just feel so monumentally awkward that I say 'Oh lovely that'll be fine!' in a breezy way and load it in my car. It's so naff I considered taking it straight to the tip...

Anyway, I now have a not very nice desk in the boot of my car and am a tenner down. I may just relist it immediately but I can't believe what a numpty I've been. Supposedly strong, independent person :o
  • Hazelnutty
    Options
    DD just got home, saw the naff desk and said oh wow that's so cool can I have it :rotfl:
  • the_cross_rabbit
    Options
    Naff is in the eye of the beholder.
  • greent
    greent Posts: 10,671 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Not a wasted tenner then! :)
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/11 £89873 01/13 £52546 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    Net sales 2024: £20
  • the_cross_rabbit
    Options
    Posted before I could finish what I was going to put. Damn these sausage fingers just too big for tiny phone keyboard. Anyway your daughter obviously sees something in the desk you don't or on the other hand she's just been nice:rotfl:
    CRx
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure