DFW's surviving Christmas support thread!

Options

Comments

• fairynuff27
    Options
    I'd feel the same Lucy1982 - if someone had bought for me and I had nothing to give back I'd be very upset.

Re advent calendars, we used to use the same one each year too, until my Mum had a splash-out year and put in each of our stockings an advent book. The book opens out in a concertina and has windows on each page, alongside the poem 'the night before christmas'. I use it every year and hope to pass it on to my kids one day too.
    :j :j :j DEBT-FREE JULY 2015! :j :j :j
  • countrymusicfan
    Options
    My son would love Point Horror books and they are available on Amazon.co.uk at 1p plus 59p pand p, but I don't have a credit card and am having difficulties getting my prime card rechargable. I can also get some nice Elvis things for a really cheap price, but same problem. He adores Elvis and loves the Point Horror range.
    Time is more valuable than money. You can get more money but you can't get more time
  • oops_a_daisy
    oops_a_daisy Posts: 2,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    I have just sent a 'I wont buy for you if you dont buy for us this christmas' text to my 3 cousins. I feel a bit bad every year as I always buy for them and they always buy for my DD & I but 2 of them are getting married next year and the other 1 has just bought her first home. 2 of them have texted me back and said thats fine so thats 2 almost 3 presents that I dont have to buy this year :D
    :cool: Official DFW Nerd Club Member #37 Debt free Feb 07 :cool:
  • dippydora_2
    Options
    Sea78 wrote: »
    oooh penguin - I can relate about the cards - OH's family are very much into those expensive cards, with glitter, sticky out bits, bloody expensive stick ons!! V annoying!

Just an idea but why don't you go into M&S, Boots or any shop that sells gift vouchers and buy a £1 up to £5 voucher (depending on how much you would normally get a card for) and choose one of the FREE giftcards that comes with it. Your relative gets a card plus a gift voucher!!!..... You might have to explain to them why you have done it. but if you all do it you end up with cards plus several gift vouchers that can be used to buy something much more interesting than a piece of card with glittery bits on it.
    It works for birthdays too!

:A
    DIPPYDORA :p

:kisses3: I Love you Martin!!!
  • Surfbabe
    Surfbabe Posts: 2,281 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Hi Everyone
    just reading the posts on Christmas Presents and Christmas in general. I make all our cards and have cut the list of people we send to drastically. We don;t send to anyone that we see on a daily or weekly basis, just those whom we keep in touch with at birthdays and Christmas.
    On the subject of presents - I buy items from World Vision - they start at £5, you can personlise the card, can usually find something that is relevant to the person you are buying for ie; I bought the cook set one year for a family in Africa for my sister-in -law who is a school cook. I added a 99p bar of Fairtrade Chocolate and everyone was happy.
    I refuse to go shoppping for all the tat that appears every year under the guise of gifts for him, her, the dog etc - they are always overpriced and of no particular use at all. Get the children to make peppermint creams, biscuits etc, package them nicely (boxes available from all sorts of places - or make your own papier mache containers). Lots of things you can do. I don't let it worry me that some of our relatives have more money than sense when it comes to present buying and we cut the list down drasticallly a few years ago - having said that there are still 24 people to but for!!!!.
    Last year I when i made jams and chutneys, i made special lables for some of the jars as christmas presents and combined with our own honey (yes we are lucky enough to keep bees) they made a very personal present.

Oh yes - just forgot, i accumalate boots, nectar and shell points to spend at Christmas. Have about £20 on Boots, £40 on Nectar and just received £75 from Shell in Wololies tokens

Anyhow - got to go to work now. Try not to get too stressed - after all its only one day in the year and I figure that if people don;t like what they been given they can lump it!
  • Hopeful1
    Hopeful1 Posts: 2,076 Forumite
    Options
    When i 1st had my son i spent a fortune on family cards such as nanny, uncle etc etc

Now i get him to make them (he's 4 and luckily into crafty things like me!). In pound shops and other bargain stores, glitter, stickers, tinsel etc costs next to nothing and is ideal. We did this last year and the family loved it. I've also kept some of last years cards so he can cut out the pictures he likes.

This year will be the 1st where i don't add to my my debt - yay!!! :j
    One step at a time ;)
  • aloiseb
    aloiseb Posts: 701 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Best Christmas I can remember as a kid is the one when we got Sindy dolls and lots and lots of clothes. I think Iwas about 6 at the time, and I dind;t really notice that they weren't new in the box, but second-hand. (Mum must have had a lucky find at the jumble sale - no Ebay in those days!)

On that note, if anyone would find a use for some Sindy beds, wardrobes etc I have some - please pm me.

Contrary to some on this thread, I think quantity DOES matter to kids - if it means they will have more to play with, then let it be secondhand, unless they are revolted by the idea (unfortunately there's oneofthose in my family..)

I'm sure mine are less sassy if not allowed to watch programmes with ads from about September onwards, too - then they dont' know what they are "supposed" to want.

Oh, and I would like a quiet five minutes with the idiot who thought up chocolate advent calendars. talk about upping the ante. You just can't put chocloate into last year's (yes I am sad enough to have tried) and they have thoughtfully made the doors so that they tear off too.....Cheers!
  • Dumb_Blonde_3
    Options
    I've just been Christmas shopping today and have bought 2 presents for £2!! I love the pound shop and you can't tell that there from there!

Last year I made sock monkeys for my nieces (cost around £1 each) and they loved them, and everyone was really impressed that they were handmade.

jam

I love the £ shop too - have you seen the 'tweeny' giftset they do in there? it comes in a lovely box with crayons about 3 pads and stickers - the kiddies love those. They also have Disney branded things in there - a friend of mine was joking that she was doing all her christmas shopping in there and I said why joke about it - why don't you really do it - I said its my favourite shop - you really can find something for everyone.
  • Dumb_Blonde_3
    Options
    aloiseb wrote: »
    Best Christmas I can remember as a kid is the one when we got Sindy dolls and lots and lots of clothes. I think Iwas about 6 at the time, and I dind;t really notice that they weren't new in the box, but second-hand. (Mum must have had a lucky find at the jumble sale - no Ebay in those days!)

On that note, if anyone would find a use for some Sindy beds, wardrobes etc I have some - please pm me.

Contrary to some on this thread, I think quantity DOES matter to kids - if it means they will have more to play with, then let it be secondhand, unless they are revolted by the idea (unfortunately there's oneofthose in my family..)

I'm sure mine are less sassy if not allowed to watch programmes with ads from about September onwards, too - then they dont' know what they are "supposed" to want.

Oh, and I would like a quiet five minutes with the idiot who thought up chocolate advent calendars. talk about upping the ante. You just can't put chocloate into last year's (yes I am sad enough to have tried) and they have thoughtfully made the doors so that they tear off too.....Cheers!

Oh I remember my Sindy dolls - I loved those things and like you most of mine were second hand but it was all about changing their outfits - I remember helping my mum out at a car boot sale and when we had sold some stuff she gave me some money and said to have a look around - I came back with the little yellow sindy car and horse - it was the best ever ............. oh those were the days weren't they !!!!! And on that note I think that I have finished my christmas shopping - I was going to go out today and buy more presents - bah humbug to that!:beer:

Re: chocolate advent calendars - hmmmmm I'd also like a word with the idiot once you've finished with them - how can you tell a little one - just open one door today and another one tomorrow - cue the tears and tantrums !!!!!:rotfl:
  • Hippychick
    Options
    aloiseb wrote: »

When we were little my mum picked up a tower shaped advent calendar which had boxes inside that you pulled out each day, you can fill the little box with whatever you want and completely reusable, I think ours lasted for a good decade before the box got too tatty. This is a good alternative to the horrible chocolate calendars you get nowadays.

CC debt at 8/7/13 - £12,186.17
    Barclaycard £11,027.58
    Halifax £1,158.59
    5 year plan to live unsecured debt free and move home
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business