DFW's surviving Christmas support thread!

Options

Comments

• JillyD_3
    Options
    I love Christmas but why does it have to start so early?! They were playing Frosty the Snowman in my local shopping centre weeks ago! Stress - that's what stresses me! :eek:
    It's my first DFW Christmas too, thought I might make some cookies, Christmas tree shaped for the wider family this year. And I have set the close family on a strict budget too, so hope I will escape without spending too much this year. :D
    Anyone got a good cookie recipe?
    :beer:

DFW nerd No 679 - now debt free since June 2011 - woohoo!! - now I'm working on the mortgage! :grin:

(anything, something and nothing do not end in "ink" :mad: !!!!!!!!)
  • JillyD_3
    Options
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?p=6744510#post6744510

Just posted chocolate fudge recipe here - it really is yummy & I dont even like fudge! Plues dead east to make & you could get the kids involved!

Thanks ff, just spotted your chocolate fudge recipe, might have to make some of that too - sounds yummy though, am wondering if it will actually get out of my kitchen or if I will eat it?!! :rotfl:
    :beer:

DFW nerd No 679 - now debt free since June 2011 - woohoo!! - now I'm working on the mortgage! :grin:

(anything, something and nothing do not end in "ink" :mad: !!!!!!!!)
  • Larumbelle
    Larumbelle Posts: 2,140 Forumite
    Options
    My perfect Christmas would be me, my fella, the bed, and some champagne. But I figure we can do that anytime so long as we have the nerve to pull a sickie on the same day :p

I have a new neice and a new nephew to buy for this year. I don't want to waste money on plastic tat to join the plastic-tat mountain and get thrown out or given away in six months time.

My family are quite bookish so I have made each of them a little book of sixteen books they need to read before they are sixteen. I've picked out a book per year, written a bit on why I loved the book and why they need to read it. I've added pictures and made it a bit scrapbooky. They have one of these each (One is done, the other is two thirds done). The first book is Winnie the Pooh and the sixteenth is 1984 by George Orwell.

I have started scouring ebay, amazon, charity shops and car boots for beautiful editions of the books on the list. I am buying them as I see them (I have just realised I've bought one particular present that won't reach it's owner before I'm 40!!!!! :eek: I've just realised that I am certifiable!!!!) I hate writing in books so they are going to have personally inscribed bookmarks in each book instead.

I don't know if it will work out well or not, but the people I have told seem enthusiastic, including the parents, who far from thinking I am a skinflint actually seem to think it is great. So... maybe one to think about?
  • justanothermuppet_2
    Options
    I've just been Christmas shopping today and have bought 2 presents for £2!! I love the pound shop and you can't tell that there from there!

Last year I made sock monkeys for my nieces (cost around £1 each) and they loved them, and everyone was really impressed that they were handmade.

jam
    Debt @ 22/11/07 = £11,038.74
    Debt Free Since = June 2015
    I'm having a FREE Christmas 2016 - Cash/Vouchers earned (so far) = £57
    Freebies earned = 2
  • skintscotslass
    Options
    I just dont participate in Secret Santa or send cards around the office. I think its such a waste and I've always been like that, even before my LBM. I've always gone along to the Christmas night out and grudged the money. This year I just said I wouldnt be going and left it at that.
  • moanymoany
    moanymoany Posts: 2,877 Forumite
    Options
    dubgirl wrote: »
    Hi FF, I will join you in feeling stressed at this time of year. At the mo we have bought precisely one pressie and although I have a good idea what I am getting everyone, not sure how we are going to manage financially. I had these grand plans for saving throughout the year for Xmas, but as soon as we get anything money together, something always seems to come along to swallow up/use the money - the car mainly. We are spending Xmas with my family this year and I know I will be embarassed as my sister and my parents will buy us loads - we dont expect this, but they go overboard and I know that they are probably thinking that we are tight and our presents seem miserly in comparision.

I know where you are coming from dubgirl. We were faced with just this situation, many years ago now. What we did was to say that we would only be giving a present of £10 to the children and nothing to adults. We also stayed at home for Christmas. It worked. What other people felt about it I don't know. It was to our benefit, though, and we did what we had to do.

About twelve years ago I worked with a single mum. She was, and still is, a terrific person. Christmas was coming and she was saying what she had bought for her 3 year old daughter. It had cost £300 so far. She asked me what I gave my two children, then early teens. I said they had £50 each. She was horrified, but I explained that I wanted them to keep a grip on reality. The money she spent on her daughter would pay for her to have the central heating on in the winter. She rarely used it because of the cost. What fascinated me was that she had never looked at the spending money thing as a whole.
  • moanymoany
    moanymoany Posts: 2,877 Forumite
    Options
    JillyD wrote: »
    I love Christmas but why does it have to start so early?! They were playing Frosty the Snowman in my local shopping centre weeks ago! Stress - that's what stresses me! :eek:
    It's my first DFW Christmas too, thought I might make some cookies, Christmas tree shaped for the wider family this year. And I have set the close family on a strict budget too, so hope I will escape without spending too much this year. :D
    Anyone got a good cookie recipe?

Lots of ideas on 'money saving old style' for things to make for Christmas.
  • PigginSkint
    PigginSkint Posts: 2,706 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    One thing I forgot to add to my list. I have started doing something that my Mum always used to do. I make gift tags from old Christmas cards (those that people gave us last year). My Mum used to use her pinking shears, I have invested in some craft scissors (one pair of handles and about 6-8 different attachments for different patterns) from the Ace Christmas catalogue which cost me about £3-£4.

Also when I was very very skint some years ago (when I wasn’t working) I made fudge to give to people as presents. This is something I have done quite a bit but haven’t done for a while. I have suggested to DS that I teach him how to do it then he can use it for presents for some of his friends.
    PigginSkint's debt free diary
    DFW Nerd 1049 Amazon Sellers Club member 54
    Total mortgage debt: 30/4/17 £14090.77 (Last payment: September 2021)
    LTSB Loan 30/4/17 £6633.71 (reduction by 48%)
    Total credit cards: 30/4/17 £25971.91 :eek:
    Total non-mortgage debt: 30/4/17 £32876.49 :eek:
  • Hime
    Hime Posts: 75 Forumite
    Options
    tealady wrote: »
    Stress? tell me about it. I LOATHE shops when they are crowded, hate the overpriced tat which masquerades as "gift ideas". In fact I wish people would just send me a card and have done with it. Then I can go out in January in the sales and spend the money I didn't spend on buying things for people they may not like want or need.

Tealady is so right. I hate the whole spend, spend, spend mentality and the feeling of shame if we don't match the unwanted pressies we receive. I would seriously rather have nothing and give nothing, but take each of my dearest out and get them one thing they really want (and will USE....ha....I am such a Scrooge) preferably in the sales. I do not want my children thinking that quantity is more important that quality of life. Tough one, but we are getting there. This year I asked them all to decide on a charity gift for someone less needy as they were readying their own lists. However, the truth is that my darling other half thinks Christams is a time to spoil the ones you love, and I feel so mean when it is impossible to match his thoughts on this. Stressful time, yes, and I have a heavy heart too!
  • Lucy1982_2
    Lucy1982_2 Posts: 4,611 Forumite
    Options
    I've been worrying about what to get OH's sisters as we are all spending XMas together and then I thought that I have 2 hand made scarves at home (made by me) they can have one each and perhaps some chocolates or something.

Nothing expensive just a 'I thought of you' gift for Christmas morning. I know I couldn't bare it if they bought for me and I had nothing for them!

How sad is that!
    Current debt - £16,300 :(
    Debt at worst 17/03/2011 - £18,067.62:eek::eek:
    :ANot going anywhere else, ever again :A
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business