DFW's surviving Christmas support thread!

Options

Comments

• chardonnay_2
    Options
    OH and I were discussing Xmas earlier, and he told me to 'write a list'... so now I'm looking for inexpensive things that he can get me......
    He's already given me a list of things he wants..... clothes, shoes mainly, but nothing esp cheap.... Unfortunately he's 6ft 7ins and size 13/14 shoe, so its hard to find things that will fit properly.... I think TKMaxx is gonna have to be an option for clothes, but shoes is hard!

Sarah x

try www.mandmdirect.com they tend to do large sizes although you might not get as much choice you may get real bargains.
    :love: married to the man of my dreams! 9-08-09:love:
  • chardonnay_2
    Options
    lenny your moose milk sounds fab -might be a silly question but how long does it keep for? i take it the recipe you posted fills the two 6 pinters (so enough booze left for another 12 pints?) do you blend it all together?

we make a similar drink called a frozen mudslide as a special treat but we have never thought to do it in big batches. it is milk, ice cream, kahula, vodka, ice all blitzed together and then baileys poured over the top of each glass just before serving.

anyone know of a cheap version/ replacement for kahula?
    :love: married to the man of my dreams! 9-08-09:love:
  • D&DD
    D&DD Posts: 4,405 Forumite
    Options
    OH and I were discussing Xmas earlier, and he told me to 'write a list'... so now I'm looking for inexpensive things that he can get me......
    He's already given me a list of things he wants..... clothes, shoes mainly, but nothing esp cheap.... Unfortunately he's 6ft 7ins and size 13/14 shoe, so its hard to find things that will fit properly.... I think TKMaxx is gonna have to be an option for clothes, but shoes is hard!

Sarah x

Sarah I just spotted this my DS is 16 and 6'4 with a 35" inside leg :eek: where do you get OH's trousers from pretty please :o Thanks D X
  • D&DD
    D&DD Posts: 4,405 Forumite
    Options
    chardonnay wrote: »
    try www.mandmdirect.com they tend to do large sizes although you might not get as much choice you may get real bargains.

Ooh thanks chardonnay never thought to look there :j ..theres a 15% coupon code on the vouchers thread too methinks :D
  • Softstuff
    Softstuff Posts: 3,086 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    chardonnay wrote: »

anyone know of a cheap version/ replacement for kahula?

There's recipe for it here:
    http://www.thesavvyhomemaker.com/index_files/HomemadeLiqueurs.htm
    In fact, there's a recipe for baileys in there too!
    Softstuff- Officially better than 007
  • SarahNeedle1872
    Options
    D&DD wrote: »
    Sarah I just spotted this my DS is 16 and 6'4 with a 35" inside leg :eek: where do you get OH's trousers from pretty please :o Thanks D X

I usually get them either from my local TKmaxx or have a look at www.walktall.co.uk Someo f the things are a bit expensive, but I found very few places that do shoes/clothes that fit. They also do t-shirts that are longer in the body (OH's always flashing his back when playing snooker!)

Sarah x
    'We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars' - Oscar Wilde
  • Biryani
    Biryani Posts: 11 Forumite
    Options
    penguin83 wrote: »
    I used to love Christmas until I had kids!
    The big thing for me is cards. My family are really big on cards not the ones you get in a multipack but the £5 each type!
    Bah humbug! x x

If you want to make a point, not only about the paper they are wasting with their cards but also money that could be better spent elsewhere, why not 'plant some trees' on Oxfam unwrapped and send an email instead of cards telling everyone what you have done. Or give as a present to people that spend loads of money on silly presents that you never use and wrap them shiny, unrecyclable wrapping paper.

I collect jars throughout the year and make chutney's, jams and pickled onions. The ingredients are cheaper than other presents and it also helps if you have friends with fruit trees! I then wrap all my presents in brown paper (cheap from the post office) and add festive stickers (£1 for 60 from Paperchase). Saves me a fortune every year.

If you have a big group of friends you normally buy presents for, why not suggest getting together for dinner instead. Going out for dinner is a rare treat for DFW's but if you normally spend £5 each on 10 friends, it will definately work out cheaper...and probably be more fun and memorable!
  • lunar
    lunar Posts: 1,805 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi, i know its a little off topic but can someone tell me how you can sign up for shop and scan, i keep seeing it mentioned. I know its a bit late for this christmas but it would really help me reducing the cost of next year.

thanks in advance
    DFW NERD NO.656 DEBT FREE 24TH NOVEMBER 2010 TOTAL DEBT AUGUST 2007 £39000
    MFiT T2 NO.56 WE OWN [STRIKE]25%[/STRIKE] 31.5% OF OUR HOUSE SO FAR!
  • postingalwaysposting
    Options
    xmas_icon_wink.gif well i have finished just about...

here is the plan i use every year, to the dot. Every year starting december 15th £20 ish goes into a seperate savings account. Then on my birthday (31st dec) i take all my xmas cash and birtdhay cash down town and get all the reduced stuff in boots/disney store/whsmith/birthdays. Then in january i look out for deals in work we always have stocking/xmas stuff reduced. This all goes in my birthday/xmas cupboard. Then through the year i try and get a present per month even if its a small thing for a hamper say roughly £5, then i look out for bargains on hotdeals uk. I keep a list on my pc of what i got and how much it costs, i also add who it was recycled from if so :)

Come october i usually have £200 saved so i get that out see what i need and finsh the rest except the real xmas stuff. Then at staff shopping (end of novemeber) i get all my choc and nuts. All my presents are usually wraped by 31/11 and my list on my pc changes year :D

so needly to say this year i am done :) all i need is 8 scratch cards, 3 selection boxes, a pack of nuts, some fudge and 2 towels :p all to be brought this sunday at staff shopping :cool:

i love xmas but shopping in december is a no no... i have to have it finished in novemeber or i go mad... its bad enough working in retail :rolleyes:
  • SarahNeedle1872
    Options
    Again Pap, which I was that organised! I did start to save some money in Aug (also £20 for Xmas + £20 for BDays) and even tho there was only a little, it still has helped so far..... still got a fair bit to get tho, hoping to be done by the end of Nov tho..... *HOPE*
    Next year I will be organised, I may use my 0% cc to get a few bits in the sales, and already got some wrapping paper and general cards.... just got to get the family ones now..... I hear there's a new Handmade Card site that should be opening before Xmas, will have to wait for the me thinks ;) Hello :hello:

Sarah x
    'We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars' - Oscar Wilde
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure