DFW's surviving Christmas support thread!

Comments

• cookie9
    cookie9 Posts: 764 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Picked up cards in January in the sales but still have to buy a couple of special ones. Fortunately have reasonable amount of Boots points and vouchers together with some Habitiat ones so will be looking there for presents. If you spend £25 at habitat then fill in the back page of their gift catelogue and you get a nice candle for free (worth £15). I have my eye on their martini glasses (£3.50), flower tea lights (£4) and their furry hot water bottle (£10). Going to works Christmas party but saving money but not being tempted to buy a Christmas party outfit as my LBD will do fine.
    I want to try to get all my shopping done by the end of next week so not tempted to buy anything else in the Christmas rush!
    MFW 91 op 2014 £410/1000
    MFW 91 op 2015 £4051/4000
    MFW 91 op 2016 £4040/4000
    MFW 91 op 2017 £812/4500
  • lauradora
    lauradora Posts: 1,371 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Hey guys i'm in too!!

I've got to admit I can be a bah hubug type. I'm really not into xmas....i can't even be bothered to type the full word. Although this is my 2nd as a DFW and i've learned a great lesson....start early! even though I feel like a complete moron sat next to my sack of ready bought and wrapped presents I feel content because I will not have to face the shops while every other moron in the world is out shopping.:mad:

I've got three prezzie's left to buy. I'm stuck on what to get my stepdad, i've only bugeted a couple of quid per person so I need something cheap and cheerful. al he's into is beer and horseracing (an interesting guy you know) and i'm fresh out of ideas. I buy him smellies every year and my mum will go mad if I do it again!!!:D

My biggest tip is ikea have picture frames on special offer for 50p!!! bought loads and added them in with other cheap prezzies to make them into gig decent ones. I can recommend that place for xmas shopping if anyones got one near as they do loads of cheap gifty stuff. also bought loads of tins of biscuits that they had for 2 quid and wrapped them up for aunties and uncles etc...

So yes count me in we'll get through it together xxxx
    On a mission
  • lunar
    lunar Posts: 1,805 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    As this is my first DFW christmas i didnt really get too organised. i got a few bits in sales this year but could have done better if id started earlier. Next year i will be starting from january, with cards, wrap, few decorations, and i will check all the sales through the year for ideal hamper ingredents.

i love christmas so i will enjoy thinking about it through the year. I will also make sure i save any vouchers i earn through the year.
    DFW NERD NO.656 DEBT FREE 24TH NOVEMBER 2010 TOTAL DEBT AUGUST 2007 £39000
    MFiT T2 NO.56 WE OWN [STRIKE]25%[/STRIKE] 31.5% OF OUR HOUSE SO FAR!
  • lauradora
    p.s i'm not even doing cards this year...I hate what they do to your wallet and the planet.. They are a waste so only those with e mail addresses are getting christmas greetings from me!!!
    On a mission
  • doodledo_2
    doodledo_2 Posts: 4,676 Forumite
    This is my first DFW christmas and WILL be my first where I do not add to my debt :D

I have saved an amount each month for xmas and will be drawing that out this week. I will then be on mission bargain hunt to make that money cover all my presents.
    Proud to be dealing with my debts - DFW No: 712

03/09/09 - DEBT FREE AT LAST :D
    Racing Hypno to Save - £10/£5000
  • lauradora
    doodledo wrote: »
    This is my first DFW christmas and WILL be my first where I do not add to my debt :D

I have saved an amount each month for xmas and will be drawing that out this week. I will then be on mission bargain hunt to make that money cover all my presents.

Good for you! I've always wanted to do that x :T
    On a mission
  • lunar
    doodledo wrote: »

Its also the first christmas in 9 years that i wont be adding to my debts! im really proud that i am managing it this year.
  • Sea78
    Sea78 Posts: 6,185 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    lunar wrote: »
    Its also the first christmas in 9 years that i wont be adding to my debts! im really proud that i am managing it this year.

:T

Me too :) Only just thought of this when you wrote it- first time since 2001 that I won't be - and before that I was a student so was proabbly adding to debts as well! So first time in, what, must be 10 years!! :eek::eek:
    CCCS DMP:Feb 07
    Total:£37,016.47 now £0 DEBT FREE FEB 14

2022 Decluttering Campaign 49/1011
  • lunar
    Well before that i was 17 so couldnt get credit! Maybe they should change the credit card age to 21, it just seemed like free money back then and i wanted to buy gifts for the family and friends.

Im making up some of my hampers at the min, to be honest im having much more fun doing christmas the DFW way as i get to put more time and effort into all the gifts. Even when i am debt free i will continue to give gifts this way, its so much more personal.
  • Stressed and scared. Its the outside pressure thats getting to me with a ten year old I want to get him presents in line with his peers. I get worried he will be picked on at school when they ask what he got, last year one kid got a horse:eek:. I've got him a mobile phone as his main present which has left me skint.
    Barclaycard 3800

Nothing to do but hibernate till spring

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family