Why Walk When You Can Fly

Options

Comments

• hugglemonster
    Options
    Great news on clearing the card and fantastic news about the job, fingers crossed for a good result!

H x
  • jwil
    jwil Posts: 19,343 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Well done on clearing the card and great news about the potential job!
    "If you can dream it, you can do it". Walt Disney
  • WannabeFree
    WannabeFree Posts: 4,438 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Wow just catching up, there's sure been a lot going on for you.

Congratulations to DH for the new job and fingers crossed you get an offer soon too :D

Hope DS has settled a bit at school, I think most find it harder going back after the summer holidays even more so when it's a leap into a new 'stage'

Well done on the debt going down and the savings

x
    “Once you hit rock bottom, that's where you perfectly stand; That's your chance of restarting, but restarting the way.”
  • monz
    monz Posts: 4,129 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Debt-free and Proud! Stoptober Survivor
    Options
    Good luck to your hubby today <3 xx
    Debt (1/9/14) £6,702.11 Debt free (30/11/2016) mortgage port- £70,077.82 and mortgage £126,517.39 o/s currently
    Debt - £17,190.83 (29/7/22) now (19/8/22) £16,688.80
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Morning,

So DH is wondering if he's done the right thing as it took him 2 hours to get to work... joys of living in the country and the train is the slowest one to London.

I got informed yesterday that the company will not be making me permanent.

I hope to god that this month will not end up like the last one!!!!
  • doingitanyway
    Options
    Did he get a seat all the way?
    If it is a comfortable commute he may be able to use the journey in some way...
    Hope you get some security on your job.
    If you have built castles in the air, your work should not be lost; that is where they should be. Now put the foundations under them.

Solicitor/survey savings 300/1700
    Emergency fund 0/1000
    Buffer fund 0/200
  • HairyHandofDartmoor
    Options
    Morning,

So DH is wondering if he's done the right thing as it took him 2 hours to get to work... joys of living in the country and the train is the slowest one to London.

I got informed yesterday that the company will not be making me permanent.

I hope to god that this month will not end up like the last one!!!!

Oh dear two hours is a long commute for DH. Will it always take that long do you think?

It's annoying that you're not going to be made permanent as you were led to believe :mad:. It's lucky that you've started to get your cv out there.
    Finally Debt Free After 34 Years, But Still Need to Live Frugally
    Debt in July 2017 = £58,766 😱 DEBT FREE 31 OCTOBER 2017 :T 🎉
    EMERGENCY FUND 1 = £50/£5,000. EMERGENCY FUND 2 = £10/£5,000.
    CHRISTMAS SAVINGS = £0/£500. SEF = £1,400/£12,000 PREMIUM BONDS ME = £350. PREMIUM BONDS DH = £300.
    HOLIDAY MONEY = £0 TIME LEFT TO PAY OFF MORTGAGE = 5 YEARS 1 MONTHS
  • debtaghh
    debtaghh Posts: 1,794 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Sorry to hear that, did they say why they won't make you permanent? Will your dh's journey always be like that?
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Did he get a seat all the way?
    If it is a comfortable commute he may be able to use the journey in some way...
    Hope you get some security on your job.

Yes but getting back is the bad time though as everyone runs to the train (I know from experience). I told him last night that once he's busy again the time will pass as he will have stuff to do on the train.
    Oh dear two hours is a long commute for DH. Will it always take that long do you think?

It's annoying that you're not going to be made permanent as you were led to believe :mad:. It's lucky that you've started to get your cv out there.

Yes, the train is always a slow train :(

I am very annoyed and upset that they won't honour what they took me on for.
    debtaghh wrote: »
    Sorry to hear that, did they say why they won't make you permanent? Will your dh's journey always be like that?

No, but they've no work coming in at the moment and the project I am on is the only live one and it has another 18 months to go. I don't want to wait until this has finished to see if they'll then honour their agreement or just simply let me go and I then have nothing to move on to.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    I thought I should do an update so that I know where I am for the next few months.

DH's salary will be slightly higher as he won't be paying in to his pension or for the company health care, so we will initially see a small benefit. After his three month probationary period is up this will change.

Debt totals so far:

MBNA: £5660
    Lloyds CC: £9878.75
    Lloyds OD: £2750

Grand Total: £18,288.75

By Christmas we will be well under the £18K mark and in all fairness if we hadn't paid off the amount we had this year, we'd have been even higher, I think the debt is slightly lower than the start of the year, albeit not by very much.

Whilst not much is going to get paid off this side of Christmas, I need to think about next year...I know we're not there yet!

I think most of the same plan will apply:

Pay off a minimum of £4000 off the CC's
    Reduce the overdraft by £1000
    Build pots up
    Aim to pay for Home Insurance in full
    Aim to pay for Car Taxes in full
    Save for Christmas - Aim £500 by any means (points, vouchers etc)
    Carry on with Surveys/competitions

Personally I hoping that I can raise more sponsorship for my trek with MIND....I'm currently on £10 of my £700 target :o

If nothing else, next year is going to be exciting :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure