Smart tv

Hi

1. With those SMART TV units in the market, when it says it comes with Freeview or Freesat does this mean i can expect to watch Freeview or Freesat as it is or do i connect to any thing?

2. So if i have to connect to the aerial, will this have to be wired or will there be a wireless option?

Regards

Comments

• Inner_Zone
    Inner_Zone Posts: 2,853 Forumite
    A Smart TV has apps that connect to the internet, everything else remains the same.
  • pumpkin89
    pumpkin89 Posts: 636 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    You have to connect to an aerial for Freeview or a satellite dish for Freesat. All the built-in functionality means is that you don't need a separate set-top box to access these services.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Thank you very much

To connect the back of the TV to the aerial port, will there be any wireless option? The issue i have is the aerial port box is at one end of the living room and the sockets for TV are at the other. Trying to find out if there is any wireless way around this or if I will have to extend the wire from the aerial port to the TV (wire across the living room).

Regards
  • pumpkin89
    pumpkin89 Posts: 636 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    You can get wireless transmitter & receiver things (so you plug the transmitter into the aerial port and the receiver into the back of the TV) - there are loads of options on Amazon. I've never used one myself so hopefully another user can recommend one.
  • System
    That is helpful to be aware as i was worried there wouldn't be an option. Hope any of you who have used a reliable type can suggest the brand.
  • Carrot007
    Carrot007 Posts: 4,534 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    pumpkin89 wrote: »
    You can get wireless transmitter & receiver things (so you plug the transmitter into the aerial port and the receiver into the back of the TV) - there are loads of options on Amazon. I've never used one myself so hopefully another user can recommend one.

While you can get wireless senders. I know of non that send the ariel or satellite signal. They are for sending the signal coming out of a device. eg hdmi / coax / etc...

I don't think the device OP wants exists. UNless they put a hidden reciever at the other side of the room. However then no need for DTV or FREESAT in the smart tv.

And note some smart tv's will refuse to work without a signal.
  • System
    Thank you very much

Really sorry however i am struggling to follow what you have explained, could you explain so the idiot in me can make sense

Do you intend to say that there is no such device to link wirelessly with the TV?
    So the only option is to have a receiver at the port? (Could you please explain?)

Regards
    Carrot007 wrote: »
    While you can get wireless senders. I know of non that send the ariel or satellite signal. They are for sending the signal coming out of a device. eg hdmi / coax / etc...

I don't think the device OP wants exists. UNless they put a hidden reciever at the other side of the room. However then no need for DTV or FREESAT in the smart tv.

And note some smart tv's will refuse to work without a signal.
  • tempus_fugit
    tempus_fugit Posts: 1,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    pnat wrote: »
    Thank you very much

Really sorry however i am struggling to follow what you have explained, could you explain so the idiot in me can make sense

Do you intend to say that there is no such device to link wirelessly with the TV?
    So the only option is to have a receiver at the port? (Could you please explain?)

Regards
    It means that it has to be a signal that has already been "decoded" (forgive me if I have got this terminology wrong, I am no expert) so that the TV understands it. So, for example, you would have a satellite box (Sky, Freesat etc) or a Freeview box at the end where the signal comes into the room and the sender will send that signal to an equivalent receiver at the TV end. There isn't anything that will send the raw signal from the incoming port to the TV.

I have used some of these senders in the past, to get the signal from a Sky box in the living room to a TV in another room where there is no outlet. They were all crap, unfortunately.
    Retired at age 56 after having "light bulb moment" due to reading MSE and its forums. Have been converted to the "budget to zero" concept and use YNAB for all monthly budgeting and long term goals.
  • System
    So basically a receiver at the port, followed by a transmitter to the TV. The part which I am missing is this, will the TV's internal device detect the transmitter or will there be a requirement for a further receiver at the TV?

Any way, your experience says they don't work well

So wire it or leave it are the only two options I have I suppose
  • System
    an extension to the initial query, i am not sure if i should choose a HD or 4K HD TV, as there are a number of display units going for sale from multiple retailers, any way

the query is if a higher resolution TV will make a lower resolution source (online Youtube videos for example) worse if the source isn't 4K
    i suppose if the source is 4K a 4K TV will be better than a HD TV however if the source isn't which will be better
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure