We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

the hedgehog's balloons.

Options

Comments

• the_cross_rabbit
    Options
    Well the best plans of mice and men crashed and burned at the first hurdle. I think I jinked myself this morning by trying to cut down how often I'm picking them up. Ended up at DD2's school as her health issue from a couple of weeks raised its ugly head again. So brought her home and within in half of hour of been home I'd managed to rectify the problem, so back to school we went. A total of 68 miles:eek: , but at least she was happy to go back. To be honest I was wondering if she was spinning it, hard to know sometimes. After she went back I went shopping and completely blew the shopping budget (I'd not had chance to get breakfast and was tired as I had only 3 hours sleep last night). Really disappointed in myself as I had been doing so well and its not as we're old mother hubbard. I'm not sure why I'm so obsessed in the cupboards etc been full, I could literally not shop for a month and it not make that much of difference to how much is in there. Its really becoming a problem as food is going by its best before date and something I need to address. I think I need to look on the forum and perhaps join some of the other challenges that involve using stuff up.
    On a separate note made dog soup from the various peelings and stalks from yesterdays dinner. Meatless Monday planned meal was abandoned as it was raining heavily here (not visiting the allotment in this weather), so fell back on old faithful:A jacket potato, cheese and beans. DD2 was supported to make peppermint creams dipped in chocolate, she will leave me some naked ones as I can't eat chocolate:p. Also didn't get to the bank to set up a standing order for the help to save scheme but did manage a TT to the mortgage online. Hope you've all had a good day.
    CRx
  • Hazelnutty
    Options
    Be kind to yourself, CrossRabbit. We all have our quirks, niggles and anxieties :)
    Choose kind:)
  • the_cross_rabbit
    Options
    Thanks hazelnutty. Well after a false start yesterday, today has been a better day. Think I've walked about 9 miles today. Walked the dog for an hour whilst completing my trash hunt (DD1 said litter picking is like a treasure hunt but it's trash instead). Then I walked the 3 miles into town to set up a standing order for the help to save scheme. Called at the library and they had a book I've been wanting to read. Called at moooonsooon as DD2 has seen a handbag that she would like to go with her dress for my sister's wedding. Walked back home via the allotment, started clearing the pumpkin patch. Harvested apples, pears, spinach, carrots, beetroot, two squashes and collected some onions. Not factored in how much it all weighed:eek: so took a very, very slow walk home. Hopefully I'll be able to turn that little lot into a yummy tea.:D
    Hope you have all had a good day
    CRx
  • Hazelnutty
    Options
    Wow that's amazing! I'm doing the Crisis 50 miles in 50 days challenge - you'd boss that in a week!

Sounds like a positive day :)
  • the_cross_rabbit
    Options
    Walked the dog to and from the allotment this morning so another 5 and half miles. Decided this body just isn't designed for running more for plodding;). I want to be a graceful gazelle but I'm more an arthritic rhino. So walking it will be, it's free and I get to combine it with other things. Harvested chard, leeks,kale and sage. I'll come up with some culinary delights :rotfl:. Hope you all have something that is super yummy for tea.
    CRx
  • Hazelnutty
    Options
    Lovely, CR. There's nothing like homegrown veg. OH has just harvested a book from a charity shop about growing crops in pots so I have high hopes for veggies next year. DD is a tomato freak though so anything growing on those plants gets snaffled before it hits the table.

You're really clocking up the miles, rhino or gazelle. They all count :)
  • the_cross_rabbit
    the_cross_rabbit Posts: 901 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 18 October 2018 at 8:51AM
    Options
    I would give growing carrots in pots hazelnutty, taste so much nicer when they are freshly slaughtered:rotfl:. Been reading various diaries since I was woken up earlier, currently waiting for some of DD2 bedding to finish in the washing machine, will need to get her duvet in next. Good job I have an extra large machine to cope with it. Hopefully I can then go back to bed and get it all on the line tomorrow. Of course DH has slept through all of it as usual and his response will be never heard a thing.It's been a loooong night.
    CRx
  • the_cross_rabbit
    the_cross_rabbit Posts: 901 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 18 October 2018 at 9:08AM
    Options
    Washing is on the line fingers crossed it will dry by tonight especially the kylie sheet. Made a small TT of a grand total of 13p to the mortgage, every little helps I suppose. Later today I'm paying for DD1 (part of christmas present) and my sister (my wedding gift to her) to go and have color analysis done. I'm interested to find out what season they both are. My guess would be DD1 is spring and sister is autumn.Need to phone student finances as still not heard from them and OU will be wanting their money I suspect one way or another. Oh no that last bit of the sentence is going to give me an ear worm all day, until i can figure out the rest of the words or who sang it. I know its 'one way or another I'm going to getcha,getcha getcha..........':eek:. Better go as the dog wants her walk.
    Hope you all have sunshine today
    CRx
  • the_cross_rabbit
    Options
    T/C to SF yesterday and the person I had spoke to earlier in the month had given me the wrong date and the deadline for my application to be approved now is the 30th October:eek:. Have arranged for them to email me the student declaration forms so I can get them sent back asap. Obviously went into panic mode as the OU letter I received this week said it need to be paid by the end of this week. T/C to OU and they have agreed an extension, as aware of the ongoing issues with SF. Phew:D.
    Walked and litter picked about 4 and half miles yesterday and did it in memory of Ian Kiernan who died yesterday. He was an Australian round the world yachets man who was so appalled at the levels of rubbish in the oceans in the 1980's that he began campaigning to clean them up. Since starting to walk alot further this week I've lost a 1lb:j which is a bonus.
    Booked train tickets as DD2 has a hospital appointment in London in November cost just over £67 for 2 adults and one child.
    Had a interesting time last night with DD1 and my sister. I guessed right my sister was Autumn (colour analysis), although its her favourite season she was not happy at been advised not to wear black. DD1 however I got wrong. Turns out she is winter like me. She was really pleased. The winter colours are what most of her clothes are, which means she does not have to gradually replace anything and more importantly she says she can pinch stuff out my wardrobe, hope she like big and baggy as I'm bigger than her :rotfl:. She pays for her own clothes from a clothing allowance she gets every month from us- £20, (we pay for school uniform,school shoes, underwear, and waterproofs). This will stop when she is 18:j. By giving her a clothing allowance, it has saved us quite abit of money since we started when she was 14. Its also taught her how to budget, how to shop around, maximise charity shops and best of all buy things that will last. I'm hoping by sending her for colour analysis she will buy things that suit her rather than what the fashion industry is promoting as the new look, which seems to be something different every month:mad:. She encouraged me to take her for tea afterwards (didn't need much encouragement to be honest) to one of our favourite fish and chips shops, love chips and mushy peas.
    Managed another TT, 87p to the mortgage this am. Took me 8 attempts as I couldn't remember the various passwords etc to get into my account, proper numpty moment. Well today need to walk the dog, post BIL birthday card, do some work on my OU course, housework and prepare soup for tea.
    Hope you all have sunshine in your lives and if you don't, sending you virtual hugs.
    CRx
    P.S earworm was Blondie 'one way or another' off the parallel lines album.
  • Crumpets
    Crumpets Posts: 1,014 Forumite
    Options
    Hi CR,

So glad you had a nice break away with DH! Sounds like you were thrown straight back into family life with a vengence!

Your allotment harvest sounds amazing! my veg growing didn't do so well this year, I managed one solitary pumpkin from 4 plants! I've just turned it into pumpkin pie though so I'm looking forward to eating that :D

Interesting about the colour analysis, I'd really like to have that done..maybe I could ask for money towards it from family for Christmas. How do they assess you?

Chips and mushy peas....yummy a firm favourite with me too :p
    Mortgage March 2011 £143,927.6
    Mortgage Feb 2019 £78,323.18
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.5K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 610K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family