the hedgehog's balloons.

Options

Comments

• the_cross_rabbit
    Options
    DH wants to put the heating on as he's cold. Keeps going on about there was frost when he got to work. Told him and DD2 the aim is to get past the October half term and they needto man/ woman up and put a jumper on(no wonder they're cold wandering around in t shirts). They were not happy bunnies.
  • greent
    greent Posts: 10,671 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Yep, my aim is past Oct half term too :) (Although we can't actually put our CH on at the mo, as the system is empty and 1 rad is off the wall.....) We have had the fire on a couple of times this week though to take the chill off the living room :)
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/11 £89873 01/13 £52546 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    Net sales 2024: £20
  • I was hoping that I'd be able to keep it off for a while longer too but unfortunately, massive gaps in the window surrounds now as I took all the sills etc off as my new windows and doors were meant to be done by now..... :(

Finally caved yesterday as the house was sooo cold that even my dh who is normally permanently hot decided that we needed it on!! Can't remember him ever wanting the heating on before I've said it so this menopause thing must be helping me! :rotfl:
  • the_cross_rabbit
    Options
    :hello:hi greent is your fire a wood burning stove? Would love one of those but we have no chimney and have one of those awful electric fires. Hi :hello: squirrelgirl I've been reading your diary and your ongoing issues with the window company hope you get it sorted soon. As for the menopause I always remember my mum referring to it as her internal heating system.:rotfl:.
    DD2 still off school, its a good job I don't work,I don't think many employers would let me have this amount of time off.:eek::eek: Fingers crossed she's back next week. Phoned school yesterday and asked them to send some work home with her sister.
    DD1 and I have started C25k again, we were at wk 6 run 2, but shin splints happened. So since I'm not sure what my fitness level is we've decided to do a run from each week every other day until I start to struggle and then start from there. I think it will be wk 4. So yesterday we did week 2 and found it quite easy to shuffle along:cool:, so on Thursday it will be wk3. Really motivated to get to the end as we want to do a park run. Must start to look where our nearest is. We had planned to do one at the end of September but the dreaded splints happened. Thanks fortune smiles for mentioning trainers the other week, looked at mine today and they are looking very worn on the bottom so need to hunt down some new ones.
    Mum came over yesterday to have DD2 ,as DH and I was supposed to be going out for the day ON OUR OWN! He'd come up with lots of ideas of things to do (only because I went into nag mode that I always do it). Had a lovely walk around a local wood, then went to NT property and had a walk around the kitchen garden and a picnic. Only thing we had to pay for was petrol.
    DH cancelled one of the credit cards as no longer needed and I went and paid off another ready for it to be cancelled also:j. Small spends on reduced nuts/pizza bases, then on the way home from our day out called at ADLIIII for OJ as we've ran out.
    Not sure that I will get much done today as I'm full of cold and feel shocking. Can't remember the last time I had one. Hope you all have a good day
    CRx
  • the_cross_rabbit
    Options
    Didn't do a great deal yesterday due to cold. I appear to have totally lost my sense of smell, can't even smell vapour rub. Dropped off dad's wife's birthday present after a quick trip to sainsbugs to take advantage of the 25% off deal on wine. We didn't stop, came home and I went to bed, whilst DD2 watched tv in the next room. Didn't sleep but did doze on and off. Only got shouted 2 times, DD2 tried really hard to not need me. Which I was really grateful for. Took another trip to sainsbugs as really wanted garlic bread to go with my veggie macaroni, not very mse I know. Disappointed as couldn't taste it or the very cheesy mac:(. Very early night. Woke up still very under the weather. Need to look for trainers today if I can motivate myself. Have decided there are 3 positives having a this cold. 1 its building up my immune system 2 its better to have it this week than when I go away and 3 I get to drink lots of hot toddies with lashings of whiskey :j . Hope you all have an awesome day
    CRx
  • the_cross_rabbit
    Options
    Couldn't sleep after DD2 woke me. So having a cuppa and a read. Sense of smell is returning as I could smell the local farmer was muck spreading yesterday. Managed to get new trainers and complete wk 3 of C25k run. DD2 decided to come with us in her electric chair. DD1 and I took it in turns running back to her as she couldn't quite keep up, but she really enjoyed it especially as we kept high fiving her as we ran by. Said she wants to it again:j. Small shop at assdaa as they do a gluten free breakfast cereal with added iron and doesn't contain chocolate (gives me migraines :mad:).DD2 had a nasty shock Tuesday as I refused to give her any pocket money as she is refusing to do any jobs or do the bare minimum. Decided to pay DD2 pocket money daily hoping it make her realise no jobs no pocket money. So far so good had 2 days worth of jobs from her:D.
    Busy day today dropping DD2 off at my mums today as health issue still a problem. I'm meeting up with my sister and her mum as she is going for a wedding dress fitting.
  • the_cross_rabbit
    Options
    The dress fit:j. She was really worried it wouldn't but she's lost over a stone and a half since she last tried it on. In fact she's having to have it altered around the chest area. Always the first to go isn't it never were you want the weight to go from. Looked beautiful. Had a nice walk with DD1 after school, filled me in on how school is going and how all the various friends are. She's currently looking at going to a theme park with friends in the next couple of weeks. So we've started looking at getting the best deals, said happy to either collect or drop off but not both ( it's about an hour away from here). DD1 is very good at saving her money, so has money saved to pay for her ticket. She also planning on going to see a show with a friend. DD2 is the complete opposite soon as she has it its gone. Hoping by making her work for the money she might start to understand the concept of money and saving :D.
    Dad coming today to sort out the electrics in the garage and outside lights. Texted the plumber that we are still waiting for our bill. Obviously earns plenty as it's been 2 months since he did the job. When he fitted the bathroom a couple years ago it took ages to pay him.
    Today I just need to alter DD1 school trousers and blazer.
    Have a good day and enjoy the sunshine everyone.
    CRx
  • greent
    greent Posts: 10,671 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    :hello:hi greent is your fire a wood burning stove? Would love one of those but we have no chimney and have one of those awful electric fires.

No. It's a gas fire - like a basket of pretend coals. It's not too bad. We do have a full chimney above it so have debated a log burner but I'm not sure I want the associated space in the garden for a log store etc. Am sure if we sold our house and someone wanted one it would be a 'relatively' easy thing (although obviously the chimney would need checking for lining etc) In the meantime the gas one works just fine. Tbh, we don't have it on much - at this time of year occasionally (although not since I last posted on here) and then if it's super cold outside we sometimes put it on if we're all in the living room and that's probably it - it probably goes on maybe a dozen times a year....!!
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/11 £89873 01/13 £52546 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    Net sales 2024: £20
  • the_cross_rabbit
    the_cross_rabbit Posts: 901 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 29 September 2018 at 5:40PM
    Options
    Well DD2 health issue has resolved itself but been replaced by a very heavy cold. Please , please let her be well enough to go to school Monday.
    Electrics are all sorted, did need to replace a sensor light and couple of other things so did cost a bit but not enough to break the bank. At least the labour (dad) only cost us a bacon and egg sandwich and several cups of real coffee. No more stumbling around in the dark or cursing because we've fallen over something in the garage:doh:.
    DH got paid overtime from his old job so this month wage reduction is covered (£86) and holiday fund is covered also (£50). We've agreed to treat ourselves when we are away as we never eat out or go to the pub usually. Only 6 more sleeps to go:love:.
    Hoping to go for a run (wk4 of C25k) soon, so hope you all have a good night and keeping dancing.
    CRx
  • the_cross_rabbit
    Options
    Just spent a couple of hours in the garden tidying up and cutting down our supposed dwarf buddleia. I think it must of been labeled wrong as it was almost standard sized, it was a shame to get rid of it as the butterflies/bees loved it. We only have a small garden and it was taking up masses of room and was casting alot shade onto the garden and next doors patio.
    DH at work today, so the aim is to get some house work done (again its never ending is it), support DD2 to do some jobs and homework, hopefully get DD1 blazer sorted.
    DD1 and I went for our run last night but I have to admit it was too much so our plan is to start at week 3 and do that for the next 2 weeks. DH says he'll take his trainers on holiday and come with me so I'm not on my own:).
    Reviewing my September challenge of looking at the food budget I feel it went reasonably well I managed to stick to my £400 budget, so over the last 2 years I've managed to get from £600 a month to £400.:TSUCCESS :T. That included all food, toiletries, household cleaners and dog food. The challenge will be to maintain that especially since we started the month with pretty full cupboards, freezers and allotments ( still quite full). The challenge did flag up gaps in my budget and mistakes in how I was recording things, but these things take practice. We've tried down branding and in the main its been a success, although some were shown the door or the dog. Meal planning has played an important part of keeping the budgets down. I especially liked the freezer/cupboard surprises days which could be moved around when required. Cutting down on how much we drink has also helped the budget, the waistline and generally feeling more with it, although we did have a bottle of wine last night:rotfl:. Although I looked at money supermarket website on where certain items was the cheapest I've decided to stick to just visiting 2 (both very close together) a week plus another once a month to bulk buy particular items. I'll obviously be keeping a close eye on food budgets and will probably revisit it again next year.
    So challenge for October will be looking at vehicles and their overall running costs. We have 2 cars and getting rid of one isn't a viable option, so we need to look at where we can save money.
    Vehicle tax can't be altered but the rest can. The girls currently travel by bus to school and that costs £3.95 a day for the 2, again can't alter this but I do need to perhaps reduce the amount of times I'm taking or picking them up in the car (32 mile round trip). DH has to use his car to get to work and public transport isn't an option (middle of nowhere), but he can claim mileage between bases etc so need to keep receipts/log additional miles (he used to forget in his old job:mad:). I'm going to try to ensure I check the things that garage charges me for but I can do, like top up oil, check tyre pressures etc. Also do the usual of getting the best deals on insurance etc. I also need to look at using my bike more, I've become very lazy and popping in the car is less tiring so as of tomorrow its the bike (I think:rotfl: i do have a cold you know:rotfl:).
    Off to finish the decorating in my room, hope you all have a good day
    CRx
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport