E.On Smart Meters Query

Options
paragon909
paragon909 Posts: 1,498 Forumite
So I managed to switch away from EDF to Eon. Thankfully. But I Noticed on the tariff im on it says E.ON Smart Saver v5, Agree to have smart meters installed...

Maybe an Eon rep can help me, According to ofgem it not compulsory for these meters to be installed, What if i refuse?

Comments

• D_M_E
    D_M_E Posts: 3,008 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Read the terms and conditions of the tariff.

Usually, when the tariff name includes the word "SMART" then that usually means you are agreeing to the installation of the thing(s) and by not having one you would be breaking the T&C's and the supplier would therefore be within their rights to stick you on their most expensive tariff as a result of this breach of contract.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Looks like you never bothered to read the T and Cs too carefully. BG have exactly the same "sweetener " tariff so the suppliers can move some more onto smart meters.
    OK, you have joined this tariff because you liked the prices. You only have to hold out for less than 11 months when you can leave Eon for a cheaper supplier.
    In that time Eon will probably come and knock on your door in 6 months time to fit the meter.. Just don`t reply or make sure you are not in and they will try again in 3 months time. You have to be in for them to fit the meters.
    British Gas took a few years to fit my smart meters in my old house but I was always at work. 11 months holding out will be easy
  • Former_E.ON_Company_Representative:_Malc
    Former_E.ON_Company_Representative:_Malc Posts: 6,558 Organisation Representative
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    paragon909 wrote: »
    So I managed to switch away from EDF to Eon. Thankfully. But I Noticed on the tariff im on it says E.ON Smart Saver v5, Agree to have smart meters installed...

Maybe an Eon rep can help me, According to ofgem it not compulsory for these meters to be installed, What if i refuse?

Hello paragon909 and thank you for switching to us.

With our Smart Saver v5 tariff, part of the terms is that you agree to be contacted about having smart meters installed. Smart meters are optional and you can turn them down if you wish. At this point, our advisor will talk to you about the options we've available at that particular time.

This tariff is also available to customers who already have smart meters as well those whose properties are currently ineligible for them but agree to be contacted when they become available in their regions.

Hope this explains paragon909. Let me know if you need any more details as happy to help.

Malc
    Official Company Representative
    I am an official company representative of E.ON. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • paragon909
    paragon909 Posts: 1,498 Forumite
    Options
    Hello paragon909 and thank you for switching to us.

With our Smart Saver v5 tariff, part of the terms is that you agree to be contacted about having smart meters installed. Smart meters are optional and you can turn them down if you wish. At this point, our advisor will talk to you about the options we've available at that particular time.

This tariff is also available to customers who already have smart meters as well those whose properties are currently ineligible for them but agree to be contacted when they become available in their regions.

Hope this explains paragon909. Let me know if you need any more details as happy to help.

Malc

Ah right, I understand. I think when they call ill just turn it down for now...

Thanks
  • D_M_E
    D_M_E Posts: 3,008 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Well, that's news - you can have the tariff but you don't actually have to have the smart meters, just agree to listen to some spiel from the supplier about the things, after which you can accept or refuse them as you choose, but be prepared to be badgered every now and then along the same lines "we think they are good for you because...."
  • Carrot007
    Carrot007 Posts: 4,534 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I'm pretty sure they said if you refused they would discuss your options.

Which will be.

A. Have a SM.
    B. More to a different tarrif.

This seems pretty obvious.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Carrot007 wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure they said if you refused they would discuss your options.

Which will be.

A. Have a SM.
    B. More to a different tarrif.

This seems pretty obvious.
    But if you do not actually refuse point blank and are just not available when the meter fitter man comes knocking then they can t throw that at you.
    By that time the 11 months will be up and you can switch to a cheaper option with one of the newer ones popping up every month.
    They are not fitting SMETS2 meters yet so its their fault for coming out with lower prices for what will soon be a dumb meter
  • Robisere
    Robisere Posts: 3,237 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Why did you move from EDF? I ask because I have had great service from them for almost 8 years: if there are potential problems on the horizon, I would like to know about them.

EDF asked me 18 months or so ago about Smart meters. I had new gas & electric meters fitted in 2015, I refused to have one and they have never bothered me about this since.
    I think this job really needs
    a much bigger hammer.
  • Skools_Out
    Skools_Out Posts: 258 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    paragon909 wrote: »

Presumably you won't have the smart meter tariff you requested.

Contact the supplier and arrange an alternative tariff. If not, I suspect the supplier will but you on their deemed tariff ... typically their most expensive one.
  • MeterMan
    MeterMan Posts: 433 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Houbara wrote: »
    Looks like you never bothered to read the T and Cs too carefully. BG have exactly the same "sweetener " tariff so the suppliers can move some more onto smart meters.
    OK, you have joined this tariff because you liked the prices. You only have to hold out for less than 11 months when you can leave Eon for a cheaper supplier.
    In that time Eon will probably come and knock on your door in 6 months time to fit the meter.. Just don`t reply or make sure you are not in and they will try again in 3 months time. You have to be in for them to fit the meters.
    British Gas took a few years to fit my smart meters in my old house but I was always at work. 11 months holding out will be easy

And you realise that you cost each supplier 80 quid every time you decide not to be in? which is an added cost to the already spiralling smart meter roll-out budget. Hats off to you for thinking its no big deal.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure