MSE News: Octopus Energy to take on Iresa's 90,000 customers - here's what you need to know

Options

Comments

• gardner1
    gardner1 Posts: 3,154 Forumite
    Options
    £100 more a year for me on electric only but as it's summer it shouldn't add up to much as I'll switch on Aug 14th or thereabouts
    I liked Iresa 2 years cheap electric and never had to phone them......it seems most problems were with gas and dual fuel customers
  • brewerdave
    brewerdave Posts: 8,509 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    molerat wrote: »
    I see it as up to 31/7 it will be Iresa tariffs managed by the administrators and from 1/8 it will be Octopus account management. I also read it as anybody with an account in debit at the 31/7 settlement will be contacted by the administrators to pay the balance and anyone with account credit after that settlement will have it carried forward to their Octopus account. Octopus will be compensated for taking on that account credit along with any outstanding closed account credit.

I have submitted a reading today and their system has made my account up to date to that read.

Whoever is operating IRESA now, is far more efficient!! I submitted a new meter reading at 22:30 last night (having already submitted last Friday) and the charges have already appeared ,together with the new balance. As expected the balance is now less than £10 credit!:)
    Had an email confirming the cancellation of my DD to IRESA as well.(didn't want to risk them recalculating all my bills back to the year dot then taking a "one off" DD!)
    Currently looking as if Enstroga is the best tariff for me - interestingly, two Big 6 fixed tariffs are actually cheaper than the Octopus SVT !!:(
  • SuiDreams
    SuiDreams Posts: 2,393 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    My balance has updated as well - £5.08 in credit. Cheapest for me is Enstroga closely followed by Utility Point, do I risk another new supplier? (thinking of the continuing to operate aspect rather than CS).

Hope Octopus set up my account quickly I don't want to be stuck paying their expensive charges for long.
  • SuiDreams
    edited 1 August 2018 at 11:05AM
    Options
    So 2-3 weeks for them to set up the account then another 2 - 3 weeks for switch to go through so will be paying them for 1 - 1.5 months minimum.

Not really bothered about the CS, didn't have a single issue with Iresa, everything worked fine for me, only concerned on price.
  • brewerdave
    brewerdave Posts: 8,509 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Further thought re Octopus - presumably when they do contact us, they will want us to set up a DD ? Wonder if one can get away with starting the switch directly they set up the account and not give them bank details?I'd be happier settling their final account with a one off card payment!
  • Skools_Out
    Skools_Out Posts: 258 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    According to Ofgem Safety Net procedure, it says:
    I had made a complaint to my old supplier and I!!!8217;m still waiting for it to be resolved. What happens now?

If you had made a complaint to your old supplier and it had not yet been resolved, you will need to raise the issue again with the new supplier once we have chosen them. This includes, for example, complaints you may have previously made about your account balance.

The new supplier will review if the complaint is still relevant now you have transferred to them, or if it can be closed.

For more on the complaints process and how to make a complaint, see: Complain about your gas or electricity bill or supplier.
    https://www.ofgem.gov.uk/consumers/household-gas-and-electricity-guide/extra-help-energy-services/ofgem-safety-net-if-your-energy-supplier-goes-out-business

But now Ofgem have appointed Octopus Energy they say:
    Will Octopus Energy take on my unresolved complaint to Iresa?

Octopus Energy will not take on any unresolved complaints relating to Iresa.

However, if you believe your complaint is still ongoing, then once Octopus Energy contact you, please discuss with them how the issue can be resolved.
    https://www.ofgem.gov.uk/publications-and-updates/iresa-customers-your-questions-new-supplier-octopus-energy

What's the betting if you contact Octopus Energy with an existing dispute relating to the balance of the account as left by Iresa Energy, they will close it saying it is nothing to do with Octopus Energy, and you need to take the matter up with Iresa Energy ... or whoever is appointed to sort of their affairs.

Will the ombudsman service still entertain complaints against Iresa?
    Is there any point complaining to the Ombudsman about Iresa as :
    I am owed compensation by Iresa, will Octopus Energy pay me this?

No. Octopus Energy will not pay this compensation. You should contact Iresa's administrators in this situation. We will publish their contact details in 'Further help and advice'; below when they are appointed.
    https://www.ofgem.gov.uk/publications-and-updates/iresa-customers-your-questions-new-supplier-octopus-energy
  • psamuel
    psamuel Posts: 40 Forumite
    Options
    Not happy at all , could the moderators please explain why my posts regarding Octopus energy have been removed please.
    I quoted several website comparisons , quoting Octopus being no 34 on u switch yet this post has been removed.
  • SuiDreams
    Options
    psamuel wrote: »
    Not happy at all , could the moderators please explain why my posts regarding Octopus energy have been removed please.
    I quoted several website comparisons , quoting Octopus being no 34 on u switch yet this post has been removed.

over 40 tariffs cheaper than Octopus for me. Not happy with the length of time I'm going to be stuck with them, they need to get the accounts set up ASAP.
  • psamuel
    psamuel Posts: 40 Forumite
    Options
    My posts reflecting this were removed !
  • tomthered
    tomthered Posts: 258 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary
    edited 1 August 2018 at 2:11PM
    Options
    Well I went onto the Octopus site to get a feel for their tariffs, but its very confusing so did a quote. I only use 3100kwh per year and they want £43.83 per month over a year for fixed. I was only paying £36 per month with Iresa, and that was too much as my actual usage worked out around £32 per month, hence why I have £40 odd credit. I will wait to get my credit back and am off as soon as possible. That's £100 a year more, no chance, there are 27 cheaper providers than them!!

It will cost me £5.40 extra over the 21 days they reckon it will take to set up an account. maybe I will wait a week before trying to switch as they say you cannot switch until they have officially taken over my account. At the most it might cost me £10.80 by the time the switch is completed. Well if there are people out there who are happy to stay with these !!!! Turpins, that's up to them. At least he wore a mask.

EDIT----Thinking on have decided to cancel my direct debit, at least it stops further payments and there will be enough to pay any outstanding balance. Think I will also initiate a switch today. Anyone any thoughts?

Further EDIT--It seems you cannot switch now, as Octopus have us in their tentacles, so we have to wait for the switch to complete --- Is That Correct???
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure