MSE News: Octopus Energy to take on Iresa's 90,000 customers - here's what you need to know

Options

Comments

• Former_E.ON_Company_Representative:_Malc
    Former_E.ON_Company_Representative:_Malc Posts: 6,558 Organisation Representative
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Raxiel wrote: »

Same here, Left for E.ON last October and settled the account (after having to raise a complaint to get them to do so). I got the same email as you the other day, and the 'welcome to Octopus' email today. Checking my Iresa account (which still exists) there are £127 of spurious electricity charges, and an odd 24p debt on the gas.

Now I have to wait and see if Octopus will actually try and take over the account. Think I'll drop a line to E.ON asking them to refuse the transfer if they do. Frustratingly I'll be entering the last 49 days of my current E.ON tariff, and I might actually want to switch soon, so this is a headache I didn't need.

Hello Raxiel and understand your concern.

Much of the change of supplier process is automated, particularly in the early stages. It's only later an advisor becomes involved and by then it might be too late to stop a switch. In this case, we'll need to take the supply back though the Erroneous Transfer route.

A good indicator is where there's an online account. This is locked down very early in a switch, again remotely. You won't be able to do things like enter meter readings or change tariff. If you spot this please contact Octopus. They'll hopefully be able to cancel the switch as it could still be within the cooling off period. If not, ask them to return it to us as an Erroneous Gain.

I'll be happy to check for you, too, if you drop an email to the address in my Profile with your details. Please mark this for both my attention and Helena as I'm not always around.

Hopefully nothing will happen but happy to check manually for you.

Malc
    Official Company Representative
    I am an official company representative of E.ON. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • martyp
    martyp Posts: 1,047 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Raxiel wrote: »
    A supplier that won't go bust I suppose:rotfl:

:) I have a choice of all the following which are cheaper than Octopus Flexible. I do feel sorry for them all though as according to Octopus's logic, they're all unsustainable and due to go bust for being cheaper - Ofgem will be busy :D
    Outfox the Market
    Utility Point
    Enstroga
    eversmart
    Scottish Power
    Yorkshire Energy
    Blue Planet
    Bulb
    npower
    affect
    RAM energy
    Green Network Energy
    So Energy
    SSE
    OneSelect
    GB Energy Supply
    igloo
    ebico
    Gulf
    PFP Energy
    Solarplicity
    Fischer Energy
    Engie
    Powershop
    Bristol Energy
    Go Effortless
  • JohnB47
    JohnB47 Posts: 2,544 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Blimey. Did you actually type those all out?
  • jazzy
    jazzy Posts: 1,076 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Octupus Energy are stating "Customers of Iresa are free to switch away from Octopus after August 21st."

I have signed for a new contract an alternative energy company who's services are due to start on August 20th. I was unaware of the August 21st date when I signed for my new contract. According to Octopus Energy my new contract will fail because of the dates.

In my situation if I contacted my new supplier to change the start date of the new contract to August 21st would this be acceptable? Or are Octopus Energy suggesting too start the change to a new supplier on August 21st which will then probably start 3-4 weeks later?
  • katies_mum
    katies_mum Posts: 2,346 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    As we can`t do much about changing suppliers until 21st August, have you all cancelled your direct debits or are you continuing to let them be paid. Our DD is due on the 17th and as it stands have a £1.75 debit on our electricity and £23 credit with Iresa. Or are you just going to make a one off payment to Octopus Energy for any debit when you change companies? thanks
  • matelodave
    matelodave Posts: 8,610 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I'm of the opinion that it would be best to cancel the DD and pay a one off bill.

Octopus will cost me at least £15 a month more than a raft of other suppliers (including Scottish Power and SSE) so I'll be changing as soon as I can.

My DD, due on 20th, is £76 and I'll use around £35 between 1st and the end of August so I'll end up with a £40+ credit with Octopus.

I can't see any advantage in generating a big credit with Octopus which I'll have to try and get back when I leave them.

I owe £25.79 to IRESA which I'll pay when I get their bill from the receivers.
    Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large numbers
  • mysterons
    mysterons Posts: 134 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I cancelled my DD as soon as Iresa was declared bust. Due to them upping my monthly payments inexplicably at the beginning of this year and solar panels working overtime in the heatwave I've a £300 credit balance at the point of Octopus taking over. They can use some of this whilst we're trapped with them until I can switch away, I certainly wont be setting up any new DD until the recipient is one of my own choosing.
  • johnpr98
    johnpr98 Posts: 82 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    My new supplier is of the opinion that they can swap my Electric supply on August 23rd from Octopus/Iresa, I will feel very aggrieved if the transfer takes another 21 days after Octopus say we can swap suppliers on August 21st, I have stopped my DD and I have enough credit to pay my energy costs (even with the Octopus increased rates) until August 31st.
  • katies_mum
    katies_mum Posts: 2,346 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Thank you all, direct debit now cancelled
  • brewerdave
    brewerdave Posts: 8,509 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    katies_mum wrote: »
    As we can`t do much about changing suppliers until 21st August, have you all cancelled your direct debits or are you continuing to let them be paid. Our DD is due on the 17th and as it stands have a £1.75 debit on our electricity and £23 credit with Iresa. Or are you just going to make a one off payment to Octopus Energy for any debit when you change companies? thanks
    I cancelled my DD to Iresa on Monday. Didn't want to risk someone going into Iresa's systems and "recalculating" bills to leave me in deficit rather than the small credit I actually have!
    I'm also keeping an eye on my current account to make sure that neither Iresa's administrators or Octopus set up a new DD.
    If I'm with Octopus for 4 weeks or so, I'll settle up any balance with a one off payment after moving to a cheaper supplier.:)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure