Money Moral Dilemma: Should I pass train compensation on to my employer?

Options

Comments

• pollypenny
    pollypenny Posts: 29,394 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Depends on your employers attitude to your lateness. If they are understanding and sympathetic, I would certainly reimburse them, whether you make up the time or not.
    Member #14 of SKI-ers club

Words, words, they're all we have to go by!.

(Pity they are mangled by this autocorrect!)
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,726 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    NBLondon wrote: »
    I think you should read the previous thread on this subject first...

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5789517

Really? Good spot.
    I think the MSE MMDs are dire enough without regurgitating the same dilemma in just over 6 months.
  • dammitjanet
    Options
    This happens quite a lot in the company I work for and our policy is that any compensation is allowed to go to the person who has incurred the delay as it's your time. As someone above stated, there isn't even a way to pay the money back because the tickets are paid from a corporate account - the payment is compensation, not a refund.
  • madvicker
    madvicker Posts: 157 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    The key word here is 'compensation', not 'refund'. It's a compensation to you for the inconvenience the train journey causes. Not something the employer has to wait around for.
  • Augustus_the_Strong
    Options
    As long as you are doing the work, you are the one inconvenienced, not your employer, so the compensation should be yours.
  • lakesider52
    Options
    Absolutely not. It's you who have been inconvenienced and (assuming you're not a public sector worker) you will have to make up for the lost time by, for example, doing work at home so you keep the compensation.
  • Afourteen
    Afourteen Posts: 91 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    How was the ticket paid for - Did you pay for it, then claim the money back? Or did the company pay directly?

In my experience (I used to do a lot of public transport travelling for my last employer);

If the former then claim it and say nothing - except there could be tax considerations. I'd keep meal receipts from that day/time and if anyone asked I put the refund against the meal receipt.

If it's the latter - I'd just not bother (unless you think it's worth claiming for a meal).

Of course if you do caim for refreshments then there may be queries why you didn't claim the full amount (unless your employer set a dayly or per meal limit).

Don't forget most companies have very complex internal accounting procedures so travel, accommodation, meals, all go into differing records.
  • Afourteen
    Afourteen Posts: 91 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Of course there is a couple of other considerations :-
    Do you travel in paid time? (company insurance has a factor here).
    Does your employer support or ban performing company business in a public place (my last employer did not so effectively travel was 'free' time).
  • mouse118
    mouse118 Posts: 5 Forumite
    Options
    Of course you should give the compensation to your employer. He paid out the money, not giving HIS money back to him is THEFT!!
  • gibbletts
    Options
    Keep it, if your employer wants to claim compensation then they can pay for the tickets up front themselves. In fact if you didn’t claim the compensation no one would get it.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure