Money Moral Dilemma: Should I pass train compensation on to my employer?

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Marriage, Relationships & Families
33 replies 17.2K views
MSE_SarahMSE_Sarah MSE Staff
300 Posts
Sixth Anniversary 10 Posts I've been Money Tipped! Newshound!
MSE Staff
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Marriage, Relationships & Families
This week's MoneySaver who wants advice asks...
I travel by train for work and my employer reimburses me. The trains are frequently late so I've started to claim Delay Repay compensation, but I haven't offered to reimburse my employer. Is this wrong?

Unfortunately the MSE team can't always answer money moral dilemma questions as contributions are often emailed in or suggested in person. They are intended to be enjoyed as a point of debate and discussed at face value.

If you haven't already, join the forum to reply!

Got a money moral dilemma of your own? [URL="mailto: mmd@moneysavingexpert.com"]Suggest an MMD[/URL].

[purplesignup][/purplesignup]

Follow MSE on other Social Media:
MSE Facebook, MSE Twitter, MSE Deals Facebook, MSE Deals Twitter, Forum Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest
Join the MSE Forum
Get the Free MoneySavingExpert Money Tips E-mail
Report inappropriate posts: click the report button
Point out a rate/product change
Flag a news story: [email protected]

Replies

• fibonarchiefibonarchie Forumite
    975 Posts
    I think you should let the employer know, at least.
    Signature Removed by Forum Team ..thanks to somebody reporting a witty and decades-old Kenny Everett quote as 'offensive'!!
  • NBLondonNBLondon Forumite
    4K Posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    I think you should read the previous thread on this subject first...

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5789517
    Wash your Knobs and Knockers... Keep the Postie safe!
  • marichmarich Forumite
    125 Posts
    So who has to stand around and wait for the train ?
    Is it you ? So who gets the compensation ?
    An easy conscience makes the best pillow....
  • jimbim37jimbim37 Forumite
    4 Posts
    First Anniversary
    MoneySaving Newbie
    Having been delayed by sometimes 5 and 6 hours In the past while making journeys as part of my job, I had no doubt that the compensation was for my time. I still made the journey, which the company paid for. If the trip had actually been cancelled I!!!8217;d have returned the refunded ticket cost to my employer.
  • REJPREJP Forumite
    246 Posts
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    Refund your employer.
    Honesty in this might (just might) make a difference if you are considered for promotion or pay rise. It is your employers money after all.
  • michaelsmichaels Forumite
    25.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    REJP wrote: »
    Refund your employer.
    Honesty in this might (just might) make a difference if you are considered for promotion or pay rise. It is your employers money after all.
    I guess the question is it it a partial refund (and therefore your employers) or compensation and therefore yours (assuming you have to make up the time) If you were travelling on the employers time then I guess it is their compensation.
    I think....
  • Sharon87Sharon87 Forumite
    4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    I would ask your employer. Some companies won’t actually have a way to process compensation. If it’s a refund it’ll go back to the card it was paid with, if it was the same company that refunded. But delay repay is different.

If you have the time to fill in the form and were inconvenienced by the trains then compensation should be yours. But I would definitely tell your employer you are doing it.
  • This answer will answer most problems when I say, if you have to ask then you have a strong suspicion you would be in the wrong to keep the money. Explain to your boss why you!!!8217;re getting the refund and he may well reply that, as you!!!8217;ve suffered as a consequence of the trains being messed up then you!!!8217;ve earned the refund. I hope he tells you to keep it for your honesty.
  • happyinfloridahappyinflorida Forumite
    807 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    As the company are paying the money for your ticket, then I believe, legally they're entitled to receive any money back but I would discuss this with your employer to make sure what they want.

Because it's you suffering the hardships, they may be happy for you to keep the money but you have to be honest and tell them about this otherwise you could look dishonest and that's never a good thing.
  • NarkedStarfishNarkedStarfish Forumite
    2 Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    MoneySaving Newbie
    Depends... do you have to make up the time. Then it's probably yours. But if your employer accepts the time lost and doesn't expect you to make it up then I think it's at least partly compensation for them. So as others have said speak to your boss /HR. However be aware you could be setting a precedence for your colleagues who may not have considered this a dilemma....
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Energy price cap could be extended beyond 2023

New plans have just been announced by the Government

MSE News

Cheap contents insurance for tenants

DON'T assume your landlord covers you

MSE Guides

Summer sizzlers round-up

Incl £2ish sun cream & £1.50 disposable BBQs

MSE Deals