MMD Should I keep my ticket refund?

This week's MoneySaver who wants advice asks...
My employer pays for my train tickets to travel to work as part of my benefits. I travel during my own time and recently made a successful claim for a delay. Should I keep this money or give it to my employer given it paid for the ticket?

Unfortunately the MSE team can't always answer money moral dilemma questions as contributions are often emailed in or suggested in person. They are intended to be enjoyed as a point of debate and discussed at face value.

If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply!

Got a money moral dilemma of your own? [URL="mailto: mmd@moneysavingexpert.com"]Suggest an MMD[/URL].

[purplesignup][/purplesignup]

Comments

• McKneff
    McKneff Posts: 38,822 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    I wouldnt hesitate to keep it.

You are the one who was inconvenienced by the delay...

No dilemma there
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
  • agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    I'm pretty sure this one has been done before.
  • k3lvc
    k3lvc Posts: 4,174 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    McKneff wrote: »
    I wouldnt hesitate to keep it.

You are the one who was inconvenienced by the delay...

No dilemma there

Interesting one - we've just had clarity that if it doesn't impact working time (no meetings missed etc) then DelayRepay can be kept - but then no-one in my organisation has their personal travel paid for - that's one serious benefit
    agrinnall wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure this one has been done before.

Maybe someone in MSE Towers forgot what they'd made up before :rotfl:
  • romeroe
    romeroe Posts: 37 Forumite
    It is compensation for your time (you are entitled to this), rather than a refund of the ticket (your company would be entitled to this).
  • Keep it. If you work for a large company, chances are it will be nigh on impossible to put it back into the system.
  • The refund is indeed a compensation from my point of view. It is different from you not making the trip and getting a refund for an unused ticket for example.

Would be the same if you were taking the planning, get delayed over 3hours and then get £200 compensation.
  • As the others have said, it's compensation for your time, not a refund of the ticket price, so keep it with a clear conscience.
  • crmism
    crmism Posts: 300 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Look at it this way.

Your are fortunate to have an employer which covers your travel costs both ways. You say that your journey was delayed. Was it when you were going to work, or when you were returning home? If the former, then the delay was in your employer's time and you ought to volunteer the money; you never know, the gesture might help your promotion prospects. If the latter, it was your time being wasted, and you should keep the money.
  • A 'no brainer' - your wasted time your compensation - just give your employer some extra hours free and everyone's a winner.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure