Forum Home» Credit Cards

Best Credit Card for large amounts

New Post Advanced Search
Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.

Best Credit Card for large amounts

edited 30 November -1 at 12:00AM in Credit Cards
9 replies 1.2K views
WRCGooseF1WRCGooseF1 Forumite
4 posts
edited 30 November -1 at 12:00AM in Credit Cards
Hi,

My Barclaycard credit card 0% runs out in 6 weeks and would like to know which cards are the best to balance transfer £7K.
I have a very good income, self employed and good credit rating but would appreciate help in finding the best for me whilst being the cheapest option also.

Thanks very much

Replies

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Forumite
    0 posts
    MoneySaving Newbie
    You won’t know what credit limit you’ll get on any card until you apply.

Try some eligibility checkers to see what cards you may qualify for.
  • jimbo26jimbo26 Forumite
    946 posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    In my experience MBNA offer high limits.
  • foxy-stoatfoxy-stoat Forumite
    6.8K posts
    Fifth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    HSBC gave me 5 figures straight off the bat and nearly £10K limit from Lloyds.
  • JimmyTheWigJimmyTheWig Forumite
    12.2K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    MBNA is my highest limit.
    But, as !!! says, it's more important to think about what 0% deals you will get accepted for.
  • Appreciate all your comments so far. I have done a Eligibility calculator and it!!!8217;s come up with plenty of 100% acceptance or nearly 100%. Was simply wondering who may be best to go for given the amount I have a transfer. Thanks.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Forumite
    0 posts
    MoneySaving Newbie
    No one can answer that apart from the lender when you proceed with the application
  • maxximus75maxximus75 Forumite
    403 posts
    100 Posts Second Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    Nationwide gave me a high limit.

All you have to do is have a savings account open with them to be eligible.

Their checker also gives you an indication of credit limit offered to you with a soft check so it won't show as a search on your credit report unless you proceed past the offer page. They also show you the APR offer too!

What I was shown on the offer page for APR and credit limit was exactly what I got on actual application.

Nationwide is the only provider that I am aware of, who gives you this information with a soft search.

I hope this helps?
  • NasqueronNasqueron Forumite
    7.7K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    maxximus75 wrote: »
    Nationwide gave me a high limit.

All you have to do is have a savings account open with them to be eligible.

Their checker also gives you an indication of credit limit offered to you with a soft check so it won't show as a search on your credit report unless you proceed past the offer page. They also show you the APR offer too!

What I was shown on the offer page for APR and credit limit was exactly what I got on actual application.

Nationwide is the only provider that I am aware of, who gives you this information with a soft search.

I hope this helps?

Do the Ts & Cs GUARANTEE that the offer page will be what you get if you apply? If not that is simply correlation, not a fact
    the concept of a United States of Europe is right.” Winston Churchill 1930
    I think that the Government are right to apply to join the European Economic Community...” -Winston Churchill 1961
    “The future of Europe if Britain were to be excluded is black indeed.”[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot] - Winston Churchill 1963
    [/FONT][/FONT][/FONT]
  • DobbibillDobbibill Forumite, Board Guide
    3.9K posts
    Sixth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Apply for a card, if the limit isn't high enough, you can do another quick application and spread the debt over 2 cards.

I wouldn't do anymore than 2 though.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Energy, Student Money Saving, UK Armed Forces and
    Local Money Saving - Wales boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge posts there.
    Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to [email protected]. Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.

It's not about being the best -
    It's about being better than you were yesterday.