£29,303...Enough is enough!

Options

Comments

• WelshKitty85
    WelshKitty85 Posts: 1,439 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Thanks savingholmes. To be honest, I don't feel ill enough to stop working. DH has it much worse than me but he already has respiratory problems, so that's to be expected. But even he gets some relief during the day, especially if he can get out in the garden, then goes downhill again at night. I don't work on the frontline, but my job is essential for frontline workers to be able to do their job (sorry to sound cryptic), so I feel like I have a duty to do as much as I can.
  • savingholmes
    savingholmes Posts: 27,544 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Hope you both recover quickly. Nice to see some sun shiney days
    Achieve FIRE/Mortgage Neutrality by mid 2030
    1) MFW Nov 21 £201,999 with 236 payments to go - now £183,036 Equity 26.8%
    2) Spend on handyman & external building works & new patio door £12.65K
    3) CC £4.6K on 0% spends card but offset by £33.8K savings (part EF, part future home improvement)
    4) Mortgage neutral by June 2030 AVC £10.2K/£127.5K AVC target 8% value at 15/5
    5) FI Age 60 annual income target £13.7/30K 45.7%
  • dawnybabes
    dawnybabes Posts: 2,581 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Hope you’re all recovering x
    Sealed pot challenge 822

Jan - £176.66 :j
  • savingholmes
    Options
    Just checking in. Hope you are all doing better now.
    3) CC £4.6K on 0% spends card but offset by £33.8K savings (part EF, part future home improvement)
  • WelshKitty85
    Options
    Thanks for checking in Savingholmes and dawnybabes. I've been online but find the forum more difficult to navigate now, so haven't posted and hadn't seen the comments.

We are all ok. We had the cough for weeks but it didn't progress into anything sinister. I've no idea if it was c-virus or not, although my (student nurse) sister says we had 'classic covid symptoms'.  If that's what it was then we have been very lucky and my heart goes out to those who are seriously ill and those who have lost loved ones.

I've been continuing to work from home for the most part, but was grateful to manage a few days in the office this week and last. I've saved a fortune in fuel costs working from home, but working in my PJs at the dining table, whilst trying to homeschool 2 children and ignore the youngest shouting at me when I'm on the phone, has not been great for my mental health. A few days in a virtually empty office has done me a world of good.

Financially, we are managing ok at the moment. We have applied for a mortgage holiday and our UC has increased, so my spreadsheet says we can manage comfortably until July (I've not gone any further yet) and afford to shuffle some ££s into savings. Typically, DH had 3 possible job opportunities, but due to us having to self-isolate, then lockdown, they fizzled out. DC3 would get free childcare if DH does get work (the older 2 are self-sufficient now) as I'm an essential worker, but I'm not completely comfortable with the idea, so we're plodding along as we are for now and will continue to re-evaluate as the situation changes & opportunities start to appear.

I hope you are all staying safe and well x
  • savingholmes
    Options
    Glad you've come through the other side. I think it is sensible to lower risk at the moment where you can. It will be great once we can know if we have immunity - but also how long it lasts. Glad you are saving £ but I can imagine it is tough trying to have little ones around while home working. My 16 and 22 year old are challenging enough!
  • mark55man
    mark55man Posts: 7,936 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I agree with SH - nows not the time for anything but caution, and keeping the home fires burning
    I think I saw you in an ice cream parlour
    Drinking milk shakes, cold and long
    Smiling and waving and looking so fine
  • WelshKitty85
    Options
    I'm trying to make the most of the weekend to start getting things back in order. I had a big sort out yesterday and have around 4 bin bags being picked up by a charity today. I've got 2 big bags full of higher value stuff that I'm going to try to sell on Facebook/ebay. I've already listed and sold one of DH's old computer games for £30 so that's gone straight to savings. We've currently got just over £1000 between different savings accounts and I want to reach £2000 by the end of the year.

• savingholmes
    Options
    Sounds like you are on a roll. Well done with the sales and the budgeting.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure