Virgin Media to lose all UKTV channels from Sun 22nd July

Options
1235»

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 5,186 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I've been subscribed to Sky for TV and Virgin for Broadband for over a decade. Originally, I had Virgin (at the time Telewest) TV but the tardiness of channel launches on cable and Sky's superior channel line-up convinced me to bite the bullet and have both.

I'm certainly not the only one and I don't pay that much more for the privilege..

We were talking about TV from both suppliers, they've replied since that they were offered BB & a basic TV package from Virgin that worked out cheaper than just BB (go figure).
  • boatman
    boatman Posts: 4,699 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    PNELancs wrote: »
    Bizarrely, my situation is similar. I rang to cancel tv with Virgin but wanted to keep phone and broadband. The cheapest way to do it was £39 for Player TV, broadband and phone with anytime calls - they wanted £53 for the same but without the tv!
    Considering its £29/ month for new customers, not great!
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    they were offered BB & a basic TV package from Virgin that worked out cheaper than just BB (go figure).
    To be fair, the TV channels available on a "basic package" are little better than Freeview so it's only their Broadband speed which is attractive.

Of course, the higher BB speeds are not available with a "basic package"
  • oxfordmark
    oxfordmark Posts: 458 Forumite
    Options
    So I called VM and the guy said they are allowing early terminations as good will.

He said he would move me to basic TV so i could get BB for £34. But when i worked out TV with Sky, the total came to more.

When I called back to cancel the BB too, they offered me a BB only price price that matched the total with Sky. So i am having Sky TV (Sports, Cinema, all HD channels) and VM BB.

I felt bad doing it, do not know why. But i feel VM are only in it for BB (they even said they were not investing in TV as much a few years back).
    Oxfordmark

Home owner from Friday 26th July 2013!
  • Bigcammy
    Bigcammy Posts: 1,099 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Told them I considered them to be in breach of contract with me as I was paying for certain channels which they had removed. After bouncing between departments I eventually was put through to retentions and they agreed. Happy to let me drop my TV package, even though I'm only in month 5 of a 12 month contract, and keep my broadband. Sky had offered me a good deal to reinstate SKY Q however at the very last minute they added a £75 installation fee so they've been told to put that where the sun don't shine
    Norn Iron Club Member No. 252 :beer:
  • Brewer20
    Brewer20 Posts: 395 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    ^^^ So what happened next, don't leave us hanging?
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 5,186 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Bigcammy wrote: »
    Told them I considered them to be in breach of contract with me as I was paying for certain channels which they had removed.

They're not actually as the T&C's allow them to change the channel line up at their whim (as can all suppliers), however they're allowing people to leave anyway surprisingly.
  • pmduk
    pmduk Posts: 10,655 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    We all know many customers dream up their own versions of contracts bearing little resemblance to the agreements they made
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure