Virgin Media to lose all UKTV channels from Sun 22nd July

Options

Comments

• geoffibs
    geoffibs Posts: 21 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I've just enquired about cancelling and they are allowing it (I renewed my contract 2 months ago). They really weren't bothered and said they've had quite a few calls about it.

I guess the commercials of people leaving against the costs benefit this happening.

It's hassle and they know a lot will put up with it. Vote with your feet if it's that bad. In my Dads case he's 83 and that's all he watches so was onto Sky this morning. There's not quite enough of the other channels on Freeview that he watches.
  • datlex
    datlex Posts: 2,239 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Personally whilst not impressed at these channels leaving, I can still get most thanks to Freeview and Now TV (Gold & UKTV play). I am waiting for Sky to offer a dish less option before making a decision to leave the TV service. For me cancelling altogether would not be a good option due to my broadband speeds. (cannot get open reach speeds over 8mb- no fibre here unless you have virgin)
    Paid off the last of my unsecured debts in 2016. Then saved up and bought a property. Current aim is to pay off my mortgage as early as possible. Currently over paying every month. Mortgage due to be paid off in 2036 hoping to get it paid off much earlier. Set up my own bespoke spreadsheet to manage my money.
  • treasures
    treasures Posts: 65 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I am not happy about this at all. I only found out this morning when i looked at the listings page and noticed that some channels had been replaced with others. I think maybe the best thing to do in the short term is to complain. I have done so on VMs forum and also on their FB and Twitter pages. If enough people do so it might just work and is worth a try.
  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 46,974 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    I read somewhere that UKtv actually pay Freeview to broadcast their services. If this is true, why do they expect Virgin to pay them to provide those channels?

The 'on demand' is a red herring. Most virgin customers just want the channels, they can live without 'on demand'.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • AndyPK
    AndyPK Posts: 4,241 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    The news was saying VM want the right to be able to sell 'digital box sets' like other providers get.
  • easy
    easy Posts: 2,516 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    We are another customer who can't ditch VM, because we can't get fast broadband from any other supplier, and we need it for work (as well as son's gaming habit).
    However, I've called them (on hold for 24 minutes before speaking to an actual person), and they are discounting our package price from now on by £9 per month, plus an additional £3 for the first 6 months. So that'll save us £126 over the year. We are not watching so much TV at the moment, but when the dark evenings come that £126 will more than pay for NOW TV or Netflix for a few months if we decide we want it.
    I try not to get too stressed out on the forum. I won't argue, i'll just leave a thread if you don't like what I say. :)
  • MABLE
    MABLE Posts: 4,080 Forumite
    Options
    I spoke to Virgin Media today regarding the loss of the UKTV channels and asked whether I could leave early. I was told I could but as I had been with them a long time they did want me to. So they reduced my bill by £10.00 a month and gave us Sky Cinema HD and Sky on demand free for the next 12 months.

Also even if the other channels come back on stream I will keep the agreed package.

To me a very fair outcome.
  • glentoran99
    glentoran99 Posts: 5,821 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    I would be absolutely astounded if that's true, the T&C's will no doubt include the line that the channel line up can change at any time. I wouldn't rely on the odd comment from an anonymous person on a forum (and yes, I appreciate the irony of that statement).

If that's true then why are you still with VM?

1. The content included in the television service will change from time to time and the programming or other components included in any channels, on-demand services or other services which are part of the television service will change from time to time.
    2. Some content included in the television service from time to time is supplied by other organisations and may be changed or removed due to matters outside our reasonable control or for commercial or contractual reasons including but not limited to the loss of particular content or programmes or other components from the television service.
    3. You agree that changes in the content available or changes in access to particular content will not be a significant change to the television service or this agreement.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 5,186 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    MABLE wrote: »
    I spoke to Virgin Media today regarding the loss of the UKTV channels and asked whether I could leave early. I was told I could but as I had been with them a long time they did want me to. So they reduced my bill by £10.00 a month and gave us Sky Cinema HD and Sky on demand free for the next 12 months.

Also even if the other channels come back on stream I will keep the agreed package.

To me a very fair outcome.

I'm guessing you were out of any minimum term?
  • MABLE
    MABLE Posts: 4,080 Forumite
    Options
    I'm guessing you were out of any minimum term?

They cancelled my existing contract and replaced with the new one.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure