Virgin Media to lose all UKTV channels from Sun 22nd July

Options

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 5,186 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    MABLE wrote: »
    They cancelled my existing contract and replaced with the new one.

Of course but were you on a rolling monthly contract and out of any minimum term? When was the last time you changed anything on your package or got any sort of discount?
  • payless
    payless Posts: 6,957 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    edited 24 July 2018 at 8:21PM
    Options
    If keen not to miss DAVE etc.. Uk play have a free catch-up app .. on certain platforms including Roku/nowtv boxes ( you don!!!8217;t need to subscribe to paid services to get these and other catch ups). Boxes are fairly easy to come by , and often cheap second hand as people have been known to buy them just for the included passes.

2 small issues

I have had friends who have tried the boxes ( that I gave them . see above) with VM and had trouble setting up

UKplay now show adverts on catchup ( only just started)

Moving from VM is a little more complex than swapping providers using BTwholesale lines.... but somevgoodbdeals out there, I!!!8217;ve just gone to Nowtv , £25 pm inc unlimited fibre, line rental and anytime calls. ... cheap TV passes the. Also on offer.
    Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as (financial) advice.
  • onesixfive
    onesixfive Posts: 485 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I'm currently tied to Sky until next month & wouldn't recommend it!
    I was looking to return to Virgin.
    What's my alternatives now?
  • SHEILA54
    SHEILA54 Posts: 1,813 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Hi

We tend to use the UKTV channels for at least 50% of the TV we watch, especially Alibi, Really, Drama and Home.

The contract ends on 1st August so no problem there but I need to keep with Virgin for Broadband as it has been the only company that gives me a decent speed and I work from home. I had Sky before and there is no comparison but I do have the 200 package, which Sky just can't match.

I think that Sky offer the above channels on their Entertainment package, though I would have to check.

However Virgin have a package of 100 broadband, calls and player TV for new customers.

Question is, what do I do and can you have 2 different suppliers for TV at the same property?

We don't have freeview on our TV. Also my daughter and 2 grandchildren live with me and use TV'S in their rooms, though usually through streaming devices via broadband

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated :)
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 5,186 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    SHEILA54 wrote: »
    We tend to use the UKTV channels for at least 50% of the TV we watch, especially Alibi, Really, Drama and Home.

I think that Sky offer the above channels on their Entertainment package, though I would have to check.

However Virgin have a package of 100 broadband, calls and player TV for new customers.

Question is, what do I do and can you have 2 different suppliers for TV at the same property?

Of course you can have both although I'm blowed if I can see why anyone would want to pay the cost especially on a site like MSE.

If 50% of everything you watch is UKTV channels (each to their own :p) then it's a bit of a no brainer is it not?
  • SHEILA54
    SHEILA54 Posts: 1,813 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    edited 25 July 2018 at 3:32PM
    Options
    The only reason that I ask is that the offer is the same price for broadband, broadband with weekend calls and broadband, weekend calls and player tv. Daft and is for new customers but I like value for money!!

If you are trying to wind down in the evening then these programmes don't tax the brain but provide light relief and , as we both like different things, we can meet in the middle and both watch them
  • Spanishsunawaits
    Options
    I don’t particularly watch the lost channels except sometimes Alibi. I rang Virgin today, was told they expect this problem to be resolved in the next few days. Offered me £5 off this months bill. Ok for me as I don’t really want to switch (paid line rental in advance, expires Nov).
  • PNELancs
    PNELancs Posts: 356 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    SHEILA54 wrote: »
    The only reason that I ask is that the offer is the same price for broadband, broadband with weekend calls and broadband, weekend calls and player tv. Daft and is for new customers but I like value for money!!

If you are trying to wind down in the evening then these programmes don't tax the brain but provide light relief and , as we both like different things, we can meet in the middle and both watch them

Bizarrely, my situation is similar. I rang to cancel tv with Virgin but wanted to keep phone and broadband. The cheapest way to do it was £39 for Player TV, broadband and phone with anytime calls - they wanted £53 for the same but without the tv!
  • Zola.
    Zola. Posts: 2,204 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Suddenly everyone's favourite channel is Dave and they want a discount haha.

Cable TV is trash anyway!
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Of course you can have both although I'm blowed if I can see why anyone would want to pay the cost especially on a site like MSE.
    I've been subscribed to Sky for TV and Virgin for Broadband for over a decade. Originally, I had Virgin (at the time Telewest) TV but the tardiness of channel launches on cable and Sky's superior channel line-up convinced me to bite the bullet and have both.

I'm certainly not the only one and I don't pay that much more for the privilege..
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure