Forum Home» Credit Cards

Balance transfer frequency?

New Post Advanced Search
Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.

Balance transfer frequency?

edited 30 November -1 at 12:00AM in Credit Cards
3 replies 618 views
JT200492JT200492 Forumite
2 posts
edited 30 November -1 at 12:00AM in Credit Cards
Hi everyone I have a quick question.
I transferred about £800 from a halifax credit card to the Santander 0% 27m deal in May of this year.
I’m really annoyed with myself and have ended up spending on my new credit card & now the payments are going to a lot more on new purchases.
My question is - how often can I do a balance transfer? Can I transfer this balance to another card and cut the card up to stop me from
Spending?
Thanks in advance
X

Replies

• zx81zx81 Forumite
    30.9K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You can do BTs as often as you can get offers to do them.
  • DobbibillDobbibill Forumite, Board Guide
    3.9K posts
    Sixth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Make sure you factor in the cost of the fee to BT vs the cost of the interest on the purchases within the timeframe you can pay them off. Don't forget you will incur interest the month after you clear the purchases in full but then will be able to chip away at the debt on the 0% promo deal.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Energy, Student Money Saving, UK Armed Forces and
    Local Money Saving - Wales boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge posts there.
    Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to [email protected]. Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.

It's not about being the best -
    It's about being better than you were yesterday.
  • shiny76shiny76 Forumite
    526 posts
    Ninth Anniversary 500 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    JT200492 wrote: »
    how often can I do a balance transfer? Can I transfer this balance to another card and cut the card up to stop me from spending?
    X

It appears the Santander card allows 0% BT with 0% fee throughout the 27 month offer period. Some cards/providers limit BTs to the first 60/90 days - I believe.