Car released from garage without authority

Options
12345679»

Comments

• photome
    photome Posts: 16,362 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Bake Off Boss!
    Options

When I found out that they had let him take my car, without my authorisation or relevant paperwork etc..I was told by a solicitor friend, that the first thing to do was to log it with the police, so I have a crime ref in place. I did not want to contact the transport guy, as was worried and wary of discussing anything with him – if someone burgled your house, and you found out who it was, would you contact them,
    or would you go to police and start down the correct channels ???

OP, are your really expecting us to believe any of this?

I’m not asking anyone to believe me or not, I just wanted some constructive advice

But you havent gone down the correct channels as you havent informed your insurer.
  • eschaton
    eschaton Posts: 2,024 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Can't believe how many people on here are asking things that are clearly laid out in my initial post ??
    Please read before asking, as I seem to be going round in cirlces - Thanks

You certainly are going round in circles and will continue to do so.

Please read what you are posting and stop wasting our time.
  • Mercdriver
    Mercdriver Posts: 3,898 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    They are not connected

All it was, is that he had an empty place, and I said it would be good if I could ask my insurance company if he could transport the written off car back to UK for them, resulting in him earning for an empty place on his lorry, which he would then take as payment for transporting my Land Rover back to the UK - simple - done him a favour and he done me a favour

Sounds highly irregular. Still doesn't make any sense. I wouldn't take a payment by A N Other only when I could invoice both parties. There's also the added aspect of Liability insurance while the cars are being transported.

Are you sure he isn't holding the car because you haven't paid him? When it comes to valuable goods I wouldn't go via informal arrangements. Leaves you too exposed to all sorts of issues. No way I would hand over my car to someone without a proper invoice that made his responsible to take care of the property and ensuring that the transporter had proper insurances - Goods in Transit and liability insurance.
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,148 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    They are not connected

All it was, is that he had an empty place, and I said it would be good if I could ask my insurance company if he could transport the written off car back to UK for them, resulting in him earning for an empty place on his lorry, which he would then take as payment for transporting my Land Rover back to the UK - simple - done him a favour and he done me a favour

f he could transport the written off car back to UK for them, resulting in him earning for an empty place on his lorry, which he would then take as payment for transporting my Land Rover back to the UK - simple - done him a favour and he done me a favour

That does not make sense

he was due £x from you for transporting your landrover

He was due £y from the insurance company for transporting the car.

You say yourself he would earn money for the empty space on his lorry so that payment was all his by right.

If that was used to cover your bill then he did not get paid for the empty space on his lorry.

he is due all the money for the empty space on his lorry AND payment from you for transporting the landrover.

He is due £x + £y not £y - £x.
  • arcon5
    arcon5 Posts: 14,099 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    So have you phoned him yet?
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Any news OP ?
  • bertiewhite
    bertiewhite Posts: 1,904 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    I think he's gone
  • k3lvc
    k3lvc Posts: 4,174 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I think he's gone
    Suspect the 'transport guy' might have caught up with him :eek:
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I think he's gone

Yes I think he has, a shame really as I was looking forward to the final part of the events.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure