Car released from garage without authority

Options
Good morning - New on here, and my first thread

I have a Landrover Discovery 4, 2012 54k miles. Broke down in France. Got in touch with English transport guy via a web site in France. He agreed to transport to Landrover dealer in UK for xx amount - nothing signed, and stayed at our place for few days..got on well

Delivered car to main dealer. It has been there for 10 weeks while I have been wrangling with Landrover over warranties..contribuitions etc... Dealer had no problem with holding vehicle there for me

Meanwhile, in France wrote off my other car when lorry pulled across me on motorway forcing me into barriers, and cleared off. Anyway, was a write off, got paid out, and told they would collect it.

8 weeks later no collection. Phoned insurance for update. Told they had to arrange for it to come back to UK. At the time the transport guy who recovered my Landrover to UK was staying for few days as was collecting cars near us. He had a spare place on his transporter, so I suggested to insurance that maybe he could recover it back to UK. They called him and all arranged and off he went, after we had agreed that he would use their payment to cover my cost...so we were quits

Something didn't ring right with this transport guy..gut feeling, so 2 weeks ago I phoned Landrover dealer and instructed them to only deal with myself, and specifically not to deal with the transport guy, or his company

Imagine my shock, when I phoned the Landrover dealer yesterday to inform them that I had arranged for a friend to collect my car from them, and was informed that someone had collected it last week!!

I asked who had signed for it, and they told me it was the guy from the transport company, who I had specifically told them not to deal with, and they had not even contacted me for authorisation! No receipt signed or anything. They said “well he had the correct paperwork” which was a photo of the front page of the log book I had sent him for when he initially transported it to UK

Told them that they were liable and that it was down to them to recover my car. They would check with the manager, who was off yesterday, and come back to me – No call back so far

So….as far as I am concerned, the dealer is liable, due to negligence, on the following points;

• They released the vehicle without my authorisation, and without any correct paperwork
  • I specifically informed them not to deal with anyone except myself, and in particular not the transport guy or his company – (I have voice recording of the conversation)

I have logged this with my local police station, and have a crime reference number, as my vehicle has been stolen, taken without my permission, but they think it might be a civil matter??? They are forwarding the report to the county where the vehicle was taken from, and they will decide if civil case or not

Am correct in my thinking, and how should I progress ?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Ant555
    Ant555 Posts: 1,569 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Where is the car now - have you rang the 'transport company' or even the driver that stayed at your place?
  • Nobbie1967
    Nobbie1967 Posts: 1,475 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Why did you get involved in recovering your written off car to the UK when you had been paid out for it?

So you now think the transport guy has nicked your car? The same guy that you have been having stay at your house! Have you not got any contact details or addresses for them?

No wonder the police don't want to to touch it, it sounds like there is something you're not telling us? Maybe this is just a private arrangement with the transport guy that has gone wrong and he's holding the vehicle pending payment?
  • Johnnyboywdz
    Options
    I have the details of the transport guy, and have passed them to the police

I got involved in the recovery of the written off car, as it was sitting on my property for 8 weeks, without any update from my insurance company, after they had initially informed me that someone would contact me in a few days

I have not spoken to the transport guy, as want to follow correct channels - don't know where the car is now
  • Nobbie1967
    Nobbie1967 Posts: 1,475 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I have the details of the transport guy, and have passed them to the police

I got involved in the recovery of the written off car, as it was sitting on my property for 8 weeks, without any update from my insurance company, after they had initially informed me that someone would contact me in a few days

I have not spoken to the transport guy, as want to follow correct channels - don't know where the car is now

Thanks for the clarification, but isn't the obvious first step to contact the person who you think has your property and ask for it back?

My neighbour at the allotment had borrowed my rotavator, but rather than calling the police, I asked for it back. All resolved now:D
  • Johnnyboywdz
    Options
    He hasn't borrowed a tool, he has stolen a £30k car, without even a word

Spoken to dealer again, and guy I spoke to agreed it is total incompetence and that he had put my instructions on my file, which they didn't look at when they released the car!
    Manager is off today - training day at Land Rover!!! Will phone me tomorrow
  • atrixblue.-MFR-.
    Options
    He hasn't borrowed a tool, he has stolen a £30k car, without even a word

Spoken to dealer again, and guy I spoke to agreed it is total incompetence and that he had put my instructions on my file, which they didn't look at when they released the car!
    Manager is off today - training day at Land Rover!!! Will phone me tomorrow
    SOD the manager and awaiting a call get the dealership principal if not him a director if not him a CEO if not him tell them to get ready to be massively sued and papers contacted, tell the phone goone to get someone NOW to deal with this ASAP tell them you not waiting days for the manager, get dealership principle and their liability insurance.
  • Johnnyboywdz
    Options
    Right - I will get on it! Thanks
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    You live in France, but your cars are registered and insured in the UK, and the LR has a UK-only used car warranty on it? Do you live in France full-time, or split your time between the two, and just happen to be particularly unlucky with cars while there?

If anybody has stolen your LR, it is not the garage. It is the delivery guy. The garage may or may not have been negligent in allowing him to take it, but that doesn't affect the fact it was not stolen by them. Have you informed your insurer of the theft?
  • Johnnyboywdz
    Options
    No, only part time in France - just been unlucky with cars over there....even my Luton van's engine blew just outside Paris last year :(

I'm not saying the dealership have stolen the car, the transport guy has stolen it. I'm saying they have been incompetent and negligent in letting him take it
    Haven't told my insurance yet, as don't see why I should have to claim through them, giving them a reason to put my insurance up even more, when if anything it should be handled by the dealerships insurance, as they appear to be liable
  • wgl2014
    wgl2014 Posts: 1,144 Forumite
    Options
    I don't understand why you haven't contacted the person you believe has your car?
    I would also suggest that by not telling your insurance the car has been stolen (regardless of if you claim from them) it could cause issues down the line. Consider what would happen if someone else driving your car had an accident your insurer ends up liable for, your insurer finds out you reported the car as stolen to Police and didn't let them know........ could mean a big bill coming your way.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure