XS Direct - Is it a scam?!

Options
1235»

Comments

• Daz2020
    Daz2020 Posts: 9 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    I have already said, ever number I have been able to get for XSD puts me through to IYM the broker, no matter what number (and I have alot for each company) I am always redirected to the same people on different numbers. IYM wont discuss their debt at all because it has been passed on, the company that they passed it to I have emailed and made an offer of repayment. That is AS FAR AS IYM WILL GO REGARDING THIS DEBT OF THE MONTHLY INSTALLMENT I DEFAULTED ON. I have tried to look for a contact for XSD but again, EACH TIME I PHONE A NUMBER IT IS TO THE CLAIMS DEPT. I am not replying to this anymore as I'm getting zero useful answers. I have asked the only contact I have for XSD about the policy to pass my proposal on because I have NO other form of contact with any other department. It IS CIRCLES!!! 
    My only option is to wait an see what or if they contact me now. The claims manager said the claim had not been settled in an email this morning, and to contact the broker about a policy. I did this yesterday and the people I was speaking to were IYM (the broker XSD tells me to talk with) and it was them who told me the said claim HAD been settled and informed me of the cost. One is lying either way. I have no other way of speaking to different departments other than the ones i am already being passed to and fro between so i dont see what else i can do other than wait and see if XSD accept what i have suggested or decline and that will result in either a policy with repayments on top to pay the excess on the claim, or declining which will result in no policy and the repayment of the excess for which my only offer has been made.
    Thank you for your input and replies I appreciate them but this is getting me nowhere, it's like trying to progress with the issue of insurance with the companies themselves, again circles!.
    Thanks and regards,
    Enjoy your day.
  • harryboy73
    Options
    Dear Readers,
    I am going through a very difficult time courtesy XS direct with whom I had taken out a comprehensive car insurance policy for my BMW 320 d Xdrive, 2 years ago. I was therefore wondering if anyone here could help by giving me some advice. Im sorry the story is going to be a bit long but please do read as Im in dire need of some advice.

To begin with I wasn't even aware of XS direct, as the the policy was taken through 'Insure Your Motor' who i didn't realise, was just the broker until I met with an accident this January. I was waiting at a busy cross junction to turn right at around 4:30 pm. I was first in the queue and as the  the right turn filter turned from red to amber and then green, I slowly started turning right. There was no on-coming traffic when I started moving (which I didn't expect to see anyway as they would have had the red lights on) but as I was half way through the turn and doing around 10 mph I saw a scooter speeding towards me form the corner of my eye. I slammed on the brakes and came to a complete halt and watched as the guy in the scooter frantically swerved to his left in vain to avoid me, hit my bumper on the driver side corner, loose control and fall off the scooter and skid off along with the scooter and come to a halt at the pavement some 15 yards behind and to my right. I switched off the car and ran to him to see if he was fine. He obviously was okay with no external injury. He then got up and after confirming that I was the driver started verbally abusing me and accusing me of causing the accident. I argued back that it was no fault of mine as I had right of passage as I had the filter green lights on. A pedestrian who was at the scene then came along and asked him stop arguing as she had seen him jump the red lights. However he continued to argue and I had to get back to my car as it was causing a traffic block. After parking it safely at a side road I approached the gentleman who was by now seated on his scooter (a Yamaha GPD-125 NMax with a L board) and texting on his phone. He appeared to be a courier guy with a big box attached to the back seat. He got much more verbally aggressive with me this time and I had to call the police. As I was explaining the events to the police on the phone I approached his scooter to give them his reg number. This kind of enraged him and then launched physical attack on me grabbing me by my neck. Fortunately the police was still on the phone and after listening to my distress they immediately dispatched their guys to the scene. Though he initially denied physically attacking me, there were fortunately witnesses to the attack who the police could very my story with.  They told me I could charge a case on him or opt for an apology from him and I chose the latter. However they did say that he'll be on their criminal records.  After about a couple of hours, we parted ways shaking hands and exchanging insurance details. Apart from some damage to the front of his vehicle there seemed to be no other damage (he even rode the vehicle and tried to get away from the scene before the police arrived) to the vehicle or to his person.
    As for the accident unfortunately there were no cameras at the junction and I didn't have a dash cam. In the heat of the moment it didn't occur to me to take the contact details of the lady who was witness to him jumping the red lights.

I informed Insure your motor about the incident and they took all the details and told me that Xs direct would call the following days to take all the details. Thats when I first heard of them. I told XS direct the same story I had told insure your motor the previous day. A couple of week later XS direct sent one of their investigators to my residence to take a very detailed accident report from me. He also took photographs of the damage to my car (along with a few photos I had taken) and rode with me to the accident site and took photos of the place as well. He left saying that their part of the report is done and now they have to wait for the third party's insurance company to come up with their report and if there's no conclusive evidence favouring any particular side it might end in a 50:50 shared liability for both the parties.

Following this there was no progress on the case and despite repeated calls to them, they kept telling me that they haven't yet heard from the third party. Finally on one of my calls they told me rather rudely that they have the report fro the third party and they have decided that I was guilty. I argued that it was my right of passage and that he had jumped the red lights but they kept arguing that I did not have evidence. I asked them if they had evidence that I jumped but they simply said that I had to look out for oncoming traffic even if it was a filter green light and therefore it was my mistake. Further to that conversation (which was in early March) they have now sent me a letter stating that they have settled the amount of £6463 with the third party as they are convinced it was my mistake and therefore wanted me to pay them at the earliest.

My excess is 3000 but they said I'll have to pay the whole amount as broken one of the clauses of the cover - the accident happened when I was returning from work and my cover didn't include commute to work. That was an oversight as we had 2 cars initially, the BMW which is my wife's and a Golf which was mine. We were both insured on the BMW but I was the only driver for the Golf which was the car for commute and it was insured with Churchill ( I had to get the BMW insured by XS direct due to the high premium on it as a result of licence points on me and a claim earlier - Churchil wasn't willing to cover due to the high premium). I had sold my Golf in 2018 and we were using my wife's car for all purposes but forgot to inform the insurance guys about it.

I feel throughly cheated in many ways. First of all it wasn't my mistake at all. Unfortunately there's no evidence to prove his fault. But then there's no evidence for them to point fingers at me either. And the claim quotes damage of 3835 - I checked out the price for a brand new Yamaha GPD 125 NMax which comes to just £3174. And on top of that personal injury 2350 when he could physically assault me and then stand there and talk for another 2 hours with the police without any issues. 

I have phoned them on receipt of this letter and have expressed shock and disagreement. I have asked for complaints procedure and they have given me their complaints email ID. They said they will respond within 6 to 8 weeks of receiving the complaint and if I further disagree with them I could if I wanted take it to the financial Ombudsman.

Kindly advise
    Is there any point in going ahead with the complaint and then the financial ombudsman complaint ?
    Would the outcome be favourable or would I only buy time ?
    Would I in the end, even if I have to settle it in whole be able to get out of their grips and get cover from another decent insurance company ?
  • zakary
    zakary Posts: 8 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    This accident was clearly not your fault as you've explained. I would have told you to take it further. The problem is that you used the car for communting without informing the insurer which is actually illegal. They could use this against you and you could have difficult getting insured in the future from other providers. So unfortunately I dont think theres much you could do. You could ask them to provide a full breakdown for the repairs. I had done that. The numbers never added up to me when I did recieve them, although the ombudsman still took their side anyways! Sorry
  • YOU CAN AVOID PAYING THIS COMPANY; Anyone dealing with this fraud company should do their research you will find everything you need to know. I personally was rear ended on cctv and they attempted not to pay out which is ridiculous in any circumstance. They are definitely running on the boundaries of law which helps when they ask you to pay huge sums, battle with them and offer to pay nothing eventually they will leave you alone. Take it into your own hands.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback