XS Direct - Is it a scam?!

Options
Dear Readers,

I took out an insurance policy with this company last year. I paid for it through a comparison website and it came up with "insure your motor." I never realized this was just the broker until I had an accident in February this year.

It was a minor incident where I reversed into a car at less than 5mph. He was already close behind me so the impact was minimal. I called my insurance company (insure your motor) who redirected me to XS Direct. This is the first time I heard of them.When I called them they informed me that I had an all section excess of £3000 which meant I was liable to pay up to this sum which I never realized.

They than called me a few days later saying the other party was claiming for injury so they sent someone to investigate my car and take pictures.

I did not hear from them again until this week (3 months later). They said they posted a letter to me (which I never received) so they emailed me on Thursday stating it was the last date of payment for the full £3000. I was shocked! I was abroad so I called them on my return on Friday. They agreed to give me another 2 weeks to sort out the payment, but advised if I paid before the end of the month they could give me a 10% discount which I found quite strange.

I asked them to send me a break down of the charges thinking I was paying for injury compensation but when they sent me the breakdown the total amount was all for repair works carried out on the car. I think they have made all of this up! But not sure what to do...Do I have to pay? Is there any way around this? Anyone else dealt with this company before? Pls help!

Comments

• DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    zakary wrote: »
    Dear Readers,

I took out an insurance policy with this company last year. I paid for it through a comparison website and it came up with "insure your motor." I never realized this was just the broker until I had an accident in February this year.

It was a minor incident where I reversed into a car at less than 5mph. He was already close behind me so the impact was minimal. I called my insurance company (insure your motor) who redirected me to XS Direct. This is the first time I heard of them.When I called them they informed me that I had an all section excess of £3000 which meant I was liable to pay up to this sum which I never realized.

They than called me a few days later saying the other party was claiming for injury so they sent someone to investigate my car and take pictures.

I did not hear from them again until this week (3 months later). They said they posted a letter to me (which I never received) so they emailed me on Thursday stating it was the last date of payment for the full £3000. I was shocked! I was abroad so I called them on my return on Friday. They agreed to give me another 2 weeks to sort out the payment, but advised if I paid before the end of the month they could give me a 10% discount which I found quite strange.

I asked them to send me a break down of the charges thinking I was paying for injury compensation but when they sent me the breakdown the total amount was all for repair works carried out on the car. I think they have made all of this up! But not sure what to do...Do I have to pay? Is there any way around this? Anyone else dealt with this company before? Pls help!

What does your documents state the excess amounts are ?
  • csgohan4
    csgohan4 Posts: 10,597 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Did you not realise this charge because you went for the cheapest cover and didn't read the Terms and conditions?? This is a common reason for the cheap cover, higher excess
    "It is prudent when shopping for something important, not to limit yourself to Pound land/Estate Agents"

G_M/ Bowlhead99 RIP
  • zakary
    zakary Posts: 8 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    This is the first time I was taking out car insurance so to be honest I didn't even know what an excess meant..If I had understood I'd rather have paid more and not end up in this situation. I agree this is my fault. What I want to fight is the bill that they have sent me amounting to repairs over £3k. The two cars barely touched so I know its impossible for the repairs to have amounted to this much.
  • huckster
    huckster Posts: 4,839 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    There is a long running complaint thread on the motor insurance page of Consumer Action Group. Worth reading. Complaint has been with the Financial Ombudsman for over a year.
    The comments I post are personal opinion. Always refer to official information sources before relying on internet forums. If you have a problem with any organisation, enter into their official complaints process at the earliest opportunity, as sometimes complaints have to be started within a certain time frame.
  • keith1950
    keith1950 Posts: 2,597 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 23 June 2018 at 9:52AM
    Options
    Am I missing something here... your excess is only for your own repairs so if the damage is , as you say , so slight just pay for a repair.
    As far as the other party your insurance have to settle any claims and there's no excess involved ??
  • Zorillo
    Zorillo Posts: 774 Forumite
    Options
    Yes, you're missing the XS direct policy terms which applies an excess to all sections. Buyer beware.
  • huckster
    Options
    XS direct is underwritten by a large US Insurers via Gibraltar.

They are bringing US style Insurance to UK market and needs to come with a big health warning.

Younger drivers taking out these policies are not realising they are contracting to a potential debt. If they are at fault for an accident XS Direct pay the third party and then send a bill to their policyholder for up to £3000, which is the all sections excess.
    The comments I post are personal opinion. Always refer to official information sources before relying on internet forums. If you have a problem with any organisation, enter into their official complaints process at the earliest opportunity, as sometimes complaints have to be started within a certain time frame.
  • zakary
    zakary Posts: 8 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    @huckster have you got the link for this pls?
  • Zorillo
    Zorillo Posts: 774 Forumite
    Options
    You don't need a link Zakary. You need to look at your insurance documents.
  • huckster
    Options
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback