Pregnant Friend Applying for a Job at my Company

Options

Comments

• motorguy
    motorguy Posts: 22,479 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    andygb wrote: »
    How on earth do you come to that conclusion?
    The manager has done everything in good faith, played by the rules, and this is what they have been rewarded with - a big, fat kick in the teeth.:(
    The OP could also suffer from the fallout - again, not the OP's fault.

+1

Wholly agree.

I'd be mortified if put in the O/Ps position in a company where he has clearly built a long term relationship and his "friend" comes along and stamps all over that for no good reason at all
  • Wyndham
    Wyndham Posts: 2,448 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 18 June 2018 at 2:24PM
    Options
    andygb wrote: »
    How on earth do you come to that conclusion?
    The manager has done everything in good faith, played by the rules, and this is what they have been rewarded with - a big, fat kick in the teeth.:(
    The OP could also suffer from the fallout - again, not the OP's fault.

Post #67
    "I know my manager has already looked at options for attempting to dismiss myself (a 12 year employee) and her. I doubt she will succeed, but she is a very vindictive lady to say the least."

If that's the outcome, then I'm glad I don't work in such a place!
  • happyandcontented
    Options
    I understand the legalities, but employment is trust based on both sides and if there is anything that would prevent you from doing the job for a prolonged period that you are aware of at interview stage then in my view it should be disclosed.

You are asked about your sick record and judged on that (which is something beyond your control) so if you are already pregnant prior to interview/job offer then I think in the interests of fairness you should disclose it.

I am aware that legally it is not required, but imo morally it should be a given that something so material is disclosed. From the responses from some managers on here, it wouldn't affect the offer anyway so there would be no issue.
  • ChrisL123456
    Options
    I thought I would give everyone an update today, this seems to be an ongoing saga.....

So to put everyone in the know, I have worked for my company for 12 years now, my manager has worked here for 2, I have not always worked in the department I am in now, this is a very high stress area in the workplace, and my manager was hired on the basis she would be able to take this high work load on, streamline processes and make everyone's life easier, we are paid very well for what we do.

Because of the high work load, we have relied very heavily on recommendations, apart from myself the other current 3 team members are recommendations, our unit started 4 years ago and in that time we have seen many people come and go until we were left with our team now.

I see an earlier post questioning the practise of our company in hiring individuals, please note this job was never advertised, we were asked if anybody knew someone suitable to help the team, as it turns out my friend fit the bill and was subsequently hired. To that end I feel I have done nothing wrong, and stand by my decision to recommend.

Some will ask would it have changed my mind to recommend if I knew she was pregnant before hand, unfortunately the answer is yes, I wouldn't have recommended her, not just because of the current situation I am now in, but also because this would allow me to work less hours in the next two years, some may call this selfish, but I do have my own family to think about during all of this, they will now be suffering too.

I got on well with my manager before this, as some have said it has now turned to a trust issue, only time will tell if it can be rebuilt, but I don't think it will ever be the same.
  • motorguy
    motorguy Posts: 22,479 Forumite
    edited 18 June 2018 at 4:00PM
    Options
    Wyndham wrote: »
    Post #67
    "I know my manager has already looked at options for attempting to dismiss myself (a 12 year employee) and her. I doubt she will succeed, but she is a very vindictive lady to say the least."

If that's the outcome, then I'm glad I don't work in such a place!

Yes because of the breach of trust, not because until now it has been a bad place to work.

The O/P has intimated they're a close team who work hard and work long hours and rely on each other. No wonder there is a sense of being let down.

"I got on well with my manager before this, as some have said it has now turned to a trust issue, only time will tell if it can be rebuilt, but I don't think it will ever be the same."

Wholly selfish thing to do by the O/Ps "friend". She exploited the law for her own ends and to hell with the friendship and any possibility of establishing a good working relationship with her new employer and colleagues.
  • NeilCr
    NeilCr Posts: 4,430 Forumite
    edited 18 June 2018 at 7:16PM
    Options
    Hmm

Many, many moons ago I was a manager. We had a temp working for us who was excellent and applied for her job on a permanent basis. She got it and, pretty much straightaway, she told us she was pregnant. I could have sworn but we worked through it and she is now (35 years later) in a senior position in the organisation and highly valued. The organisation is very very happy we employed her. We interviewed looking at the long term.

But, more to the point. As her manager and part of the interview panel, absolutely the last thing I would have done, on learning she was pregnant, was to blab to the whole team (otherwise how would they know) the fact that she was - and, in addition, all the details of what she wanted in terms of maternity leave. Before she had started the permanent job..

Totally rubbish management and I can fully see why the manager the OP has referenced is considering their position.

And, yes, the OP, assuming the story is factual, was put in a very difficult situation. But, they didn't do the recruitment. What has happened is between the applicant and the interview panel (and the company).
  • GlasweJen
    GlasweJen Posts: 7,451 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    That's a good point, the manager has just disclosed her pregnancy to you, is that even legal?

I'm getting special leave to have a tooth out in the next few weeks and it's just in the calendar as leave, everyone's been asking me where I'm going on holiday because my manager can't tell them about my very minor medical procedure, surely that means the OPs boss is already on a wicket by disclosing the pregnancy to the OP?
  • nicechap
    nicechap Posts: 2,852 Forumite
    edited 18 June 2018 at 5:54PM
    Options
    I thought I would give everyone an update today, this seems to be an ongoing saga.....

So to put everyone in the know, I have worked for my company for 12 years now, my manager has worked here for 2, I have not always worked in the department I am in now, this is a very high stress area in the workplace, and my manager was hired on the basis she would be able to take this high work load on, streamline processes and make everyone's life easier, we are paid very well for what we do.

Because of the high work load, we have relied very heavily on recommendations, apart from myself the other current 3 team members are recommendations, our unit started 4 years ago and in that time we have seen many people come and go until we were left with our team now.

I see an earlier post questioning the practise of our company in hiring individuals, please note this job was never advertised, we were asked if anybody knew someone suitable to help the team, as it turns out my friend fit the bill and was subsequently hired. To that end I feel I have done nothing wrong, and stand by my decision to recommend.

Some will ask would it have changed my mind to recommend if I knew she was pregnant before hand, unfortunately the answer is yes, I wouldn't have recommended her, not just because of the current situation I am now in, but also because this would allow me to work less hours in the next two years, some may call this selfish, but I do have my own family to think about during all of this, they will now be suffering too.

I got on well with my manager before this, as some have said it has now turned to a trust issue, only time will tell if it can be rebuilt, but I don't think it will ever be the same.

Whilst it may not be illegal to not advertise, it does leave them open to accusations of institutionalised racism. Recruiting in their own likeness leads to groupthink and lack of innovation. Maybe that doesn't matter in this particular industry.
    Originally Posted by shortcrust
    "Contact the Ministry of Fairness....If sufficient evidence of unfairness is discovered you’ll get an apology, a permanent contract with backdated benefits, a ‘Let’s Make it Fair!’ tshirt and mug, and those guilty of unfairness will be sent on a Fairness Awareness course."
  • theoretica
    theoretica Posts: 12,344 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    It does sound to me like a company with recruitment and personnel management problems if the possibility of needing to get maternity cover causes such stress. How would it cope with long term illness and an unknown return date?

However, I know in my work when anyone needs long term leave or resigns we spend a day or so in a surprised flap of how will we cope without you - then calm down and develop a workable plan. So I hope the OPs boss will come around and cope fine.
    But a banker, engaged at enormous expense,
    Had the whole of their cash in his care.
    Lewis Carroll
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,107 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    bugslet wrote: »
    Oddly Savvy, I don't need to wake up to anything.

I have a brain cell and am fully aware of all those things. I employ young drivers - when other firms won't - and am well aware that they may become fathers and want time off.
    I do apologise, I should have said SOME employers - it just always surprises me how many people post as if equalities legislation was an 'optional extra' for employers.
    Wyndham wrote: »
    The 'carnage' has been created by his manager, not the new employee.
    I agree. To react to something like this by immediately thinking about how an employee of 12 years might be dismissed ... seriously?
    You are asked about your sick record and judged on that (which is something beyond your control) so if you are already pregnant prior to interview/job offer then I think in the interests of fairness you should disclose it.
    Employers cannot now ask about sickness until after an offer of employment has been made. A sensible employer will make the offer subject to receipt of satisfactory references, and a health check could also be made, but the questions can't be asked before making an initial decision.
    Signature removed for peace of mind
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport