Pregnant Friend Applying for a Job at my Company

Options

Comments

• bugslet
    bugslet Posts: 6,874 Forumite
    Options
    Gavin83 wrote: »
    Maybe we need to get to the point where the uptake of maternity/paternity leave is 50/50, at which point they'll be no discrimination as either parent could reasonably take extended time off.

Indeed, but that will always depend on who earns the most. Middle class families I am guessing, will always have a more equal balance between the two incomes.

Talking purely about my staff of 24, I have two that are women ( to clarify I've never discriminated against women, it's just that women don't tend to do van and truck driving). Of the male staff, I only know of two couples where I believe that the partner earns more than her husband/partner, there's two others that I don't know about their partners' jobs. From my limited experience, it seems that in more blue collar type jobs, that the men generally out earn the women.
    Savvy_Sue wrote: »
    Employers need to wake up to several facts:
    • Childbearing age now covers a much wider range than it used to
    • BOTH parents are entitled to take paid and unpaid parental leave, up to 50 weeks between them
    • This means that employers are not 'safe' if they don't employ women of 'childbearing age' (whatever that is)

Oddly Savvy, I don't need to wake up to anything.

I have a brain cell and am fully aware of all those things. I employ young drivers - when other firms won't - and am well aware that they may become fathers and want time off.
  • motorguy
    motorguy Posts: 22,479 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 18 June 2018 at 9:14AM
    Options
    bugslet wrote: »

Oddly Savvy, I don't need to wake up to anything.

I have a brain cell and am fully aware of all those things. I employ young drivers - when other firms won't - and am well aware that they may become fathers and want time off.

I dont think there'll be too many from the "its her right as a woman" camp posting now the O/P has been back and given an update on the carnage thats been created in his work and risk to his job....
  • Wyndham
    Wyndham Posts: 2,448 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    motorguy wrote: »
    I dont think there'll be too many from the "its her right as a woman" camp posting now the O/P has been back and given an update on the carnage thats been created in his work and risk to his job....

The 'carnage' has been created by his manager, not the new employee.
  • nicechap
    nicechap Posts: 2,852 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the input, seems like the community is as divided as I have been.

My friend had the job interview, and as of yesterday was hired for the role, I didn't tell anyone in my work that she was pregnant.

As soon as she was offered the role, she informed them she is 3 months pregnant, and that she will be requiring 9 months maternity leave starting in 5 months time, this hasn't gone down too well with my colleagues. Especially as she has handed in her 6 week notice at her other job, so that means she will be with us for 14 weeks before leaving (assuming everything goes to plan)

My manager has taken this especially to heart, and is considering her position within the company, I doubt she will leave but you never know.

To that part I got dragged in for a conversation (informal obviously) asking me if I knew about the situation, to which I said I wasn't aware (obviously I was ,but trying to keep my head above water), at which point I got called a liar.

It has all got a bit playground after that, my friend isn't at all worried about starting the new role, she is very thick skinned, and under the thought that in 6 weeks time she will be walking into a non hostile environment, we shall see, but I know my manager has already looked at options for attempting to dismiss myself (a 12 year employee) and her. I doubt she will succeed, but she is a very vindictive lady to say the least.

Moral of the story, never entangle friends and work.

In reverse order:

Its not acceptable to be called a liar without proof, sounds like an awful place to work & an insecure manager. No doubt your union, rather than the internet, can help you raise a grievance and stop that sort of bullying.

Really? She informed them about her pregnancy before references were taken up? That sounds convoluted & convenient for the story. Did she also demand adjustments because of her pregnancy? And is she aware if there are any differences in maternity pay between the 2 companies? Might be a short sighted decision.

Still, I'm pleased her rights have been upheld.
    Originally Posted by shortcrust
    "Contact the Ministry of Fairness....If sufficient evidence of unfairness is discovered you’ll get an apology, a permanent contract with backdated benefits, a ‘Let’s Make it Fair!’ tshirt and mug, and those guilty of unfairness will be sent on a Fairness Awareness course."
  • gettingtheresometime
    Options
    I am actually gobsmacked at the outcome.

For what it's worth OP it's my opinion that your integrity will be questioned and whilst nothing overt will happen, I think you'll find there are subtle attitude changes to you.

I'd also be aware that this will change your friendship as well ...and not necessarily for the better. Even with - and I have to say the friend putting you in this position (regardless of what people think) - working with a friend, speaking from personal experience, changes that friendship.
  • andygb
    andygb Posts: 14,631 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Wyndham wrote: »

How on earth do you come to that conclusion?
    The manager has done everything in good faith, played by the rules, and this is what they have been rewarded with - a big, fat kick in the teeth.:(
    The OP could also suffer from the fallout - again, not the OP's fault.
  • TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,556 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    edited 18 June 2018 at 11:28AM
    Options
    GlasweJen wrote: »
    At 12 weeks she'd have only just got her first scan so there was no reason for your work to think you'd know. I don't think your work can dismiss you and if they try to dismiss her they'd better have a great lawyer or a huge pot of money, especially if your friend finds your last post.

For somebody to come out and call the OP a liar I wonder if the 'friend' actually said that the OP knew she was pregnant when they informed the company.
    I really do feel for the OP, as responses have shown, they really were between the rocks and a hard place once the friend informed them they were pregnant.
    It doesn't look as if she will be entitled to SMP but will still get MA. Either way the new employer is shafted and I can't see a good working relationship with the new employee ever developing.
  • motorguy
    Options
    Wyndham wrote: »

The "carnage" was created by the O/Ps friend putting him in the position in the first place where he had to lie to his employer about knowing and her exercising her right not to tell the prospective employer.
  • motorguy
    Options
    nicechap wrote: »
    Still, I'm pleased her rights have been upheld.

Sadly at a cost to the O/P...
  • motorguy
    edited 18 June 2018 at 12:07PM
    Options
    nicechap wrote: »

Its not acceptable to be called a liar without proof, sounds like an awful place to work & an insecure manager. No doubt your union, rather than the internet, can help you raise a grievance and stop that sort of bullying.

How on earth are you drawing that conclusion??

Sounds like a place where relationships are built on trust and integrity and recommendations given and received in good faith. Clearly the O/P hasnt felt comfortable when asked directly did he know and they've deduced - correctly - hes lying.

It will be interesting to see how the O/Ps "friend" manages in that environment - i suspect not well.

If the O/P has been there for 12 years so far and recommended it to his "friend" then clearly its not an awful place to work.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure