MSE News: Even more London drivers to face emissions charges from 2021

in Motoring
36 replies 9.9K views

Replies

• Indout96Indout96 Forumite
    2.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Not that I will be driving there but my car is efficient enough to be £0 VED but not efficient to drive in London.
    When we go down (maybe twice a year) we stop at Edgeware so as long as that stays outside the zone we are fine.
    Understeer is when the front of the car hits the wall.
    Oversteer is when the back of the car hits the wall
    BHP is how fast you hit the wall
    Torque is how far you take the wall after you hit it.
  • mromro Forumite
    813 Posts
    Sixth Anniversary 500 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    But not in the scenario onomatopoeia99 was suggesting, which was what Car 54 was replying to.
    It's bigger than one scenario or one person.

One off visit of 1 or 2 days maybe isn't big deal.

If you visit for a week you're going to be hammered/punished.
  • StokeStoke Forumite
    3.2K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Just avoid London. It's a dump :)
  • RichardD1970RichardD1970 Forumite
    3.7K Posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    mro wrote: »
    It's bigger than one scenario or one person.

One off visit of 1 or 2 days maybe isn't big deal.

If you visit for a week you're going to be hammered/punished.

Yes, we know, but it was a reply to a specific poster about a specific situation.
  • Nodding_DonkeyNodding_Donkey Forumite
    2.7K Posts
    Seventh Anniversary 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Shouldn't we be worrying about what's happening with the ULEZ next year first?
  • SIGN THIS PETITION!!!

Compulsory compensation by local authorities.
    Following the introduction of the ULEZ coming into action in April 2019, millions of Londoners are being deprived of their valued possessions by the decision of the local authorities.
  • ArklightArklight Forumite
    3.1K Posts
    Sixth Anniversary 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Um... no petition bro
  • sevenhillssevenhills Forumite
    3.7K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    NBLondon wrote: »
    I live just inside the South Circular. If I'm headed inwards - I'm unlikely to drive as public transport is more convenient.

Couriers from the North have been known to park up and do the same, they will all do that once the new rules come into force.

However some manufacturers may have made vehicles to a higher emissions standard than was mandatory at the time.

What about the above vehicles, surely they should be able to register and gain exemption?
  • NBLondonNBLondon Forumite
    4.2K Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    sevenhills wrote: »
    What about the above vehicles, surely they should be able to register and gain exemption?
    You mean vehicles that operated above the minimum standard required at the time of manufacture? Maybe there could be a look up in a Type Approval register or something that says a 2009 Wossname is over the limit and pays but a 2010 Wossname is under and is exempt rather than a blanket cut-off for the year. Don't know if there is a master list that covers all manufacturers. Or whether it's independent or relies on manufacturer data (remember the VW emissions scandal?) Bit too complex for local government that - you'd have to be able to check the reg number against the V5 (to get the correct model) against the master register and we all know that V5 can be wrong. Plus modifications or standards of maintenance could affect the real amount of emissions. That's too much for a soundbite...
    Wash your Knobs and Knockers... Keep the Postie safe!
  • sevenhillssevenhills Forumite
    3.7K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    NBLondon wrote: »
    You mean vehicles that operated above the minimum standard required at the time of manufacture? Maybe there could be a look up in a Type Approval register or something that says a 2009 Wossname is over the limit and pays but a 2010 Wossname is under and is exempt rather than a blanket cut-off for the year.

I understand some countries test for Nox in their yearly equivalent of the MOT.
    Our MOT system is just a money making scam for garages.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Bacon flavoured toothpaste

Can you help this Forumite track some down?

Join the Forum discussion

£10 Christmas bonus

For benefits recipients

MSE News