in Motoring
36 replies 9.9K views

Replies

• mromro Forumite
    813 Posts
    Sixth Anniversary 500 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    Car_54 wrote: »
    Slight exagerration perhaps? A one-off charge of £12.50 is hardly the end of the world.
    Every day !
  • mromro Forumite
    813 Posts
    Sixth Anniversary 500 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    Check your car here:

ULEZ vehicle checker
  • RichardD1970RichardD1970 Forumite
    3.7K Posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    mro wrote: »
    Every day !

But not in the scenario onomatopoeia99 was suggesting, which was what Car 54 was replying to.
  • esuhlesuhl Forumite
    9.4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Thank goodness more is being done to improve air quality and reduce congestion. £12.50 is a small price to pay. Anyone paying that every day needs to reconsider their use of transport.
  • RichardD1970RichardD1970 Forumite
    3.7K Posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Just checked our cars.

Mine, 64 Ford Grand C-Max 1.5 diesel, have to pay.

Wife's, 65 Kia Picanto 1.0 petrol, doesn't pay.

Not that I have ever, or plan on, driving to London. ;)
  • reduxredux Forumite
    22.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is the thread title correct?

MSE News: Even more London drivers to face emissions charges from 2021

I wonder, as with other measures in London, do they want to divert the blame and charge visitors more than they charge themselves?

I've been to London about 10 times in 30 years. Most of the pollution is caused by people there all the time, so why give themselves discounts and exemptions?
  • Typhoon2000Typhoon2000 Forumite
    1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    Yes it is the buses, taxis, PHV, delivery vehicles and others that spend most of the day driving around London that causes the problems. 10min journeys popping to the shops, dropping off the children at the periphery of the Zone isnt going to add much.
    What this will cause is the already busy North and South circular to be even more congested. Cars that could have made a short journey through the periphery of the Zone will now make longer ones around it cauing even more pollution. People will buy new cars to escape the charge adding more green house gases and pollution due to new car production.
  • SystemSystem Forumite
    177.9K Posts
    10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes it is the buses, taxis, PHV, delivery vehicles and others that spend most of the day driving around London that causes the problems. 10min journeys popping to the shops, dropping off the children at the periphery of the Zone isnt going to add much.
    Those 10 minute popping to the shops and dropping off kids to places you can walk to are actually what is making things worse. The buses that take up the space of 3 cars but are carrying up to 60 people and the trucks that take up the space of four to five cars but are carrying 20+ tonnes of goods aren't the issue, its the cars with one or two people in doing journeys that could've been done on PT, bicycle or foot.
  • AnotherJoeAnotherJoe Forumite
    19.6K Posts
    10,000 Posts Fifth Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    mro wrote: »
    Every day !

I doubt the OP will be helping their friend move every day.
  • NBLondonNBLondon Forumite
    4.2K Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    I live just inside the South Circular. If I'm headed inwards - I'm unlikely to drive as public transport is more convenient. If I'm headed outwards, that's when the car becomes more convenient. So if I had an older car - I'd be paying £12.50 for the first and last 1/3 mile of the journey. If I did it regularly - the solution would be to park just outside the zone and walk the last bit. Which is hypothetical as both our cars are petrol and not affected - by the time the rules change again in 2025 I might well have saved up and changed to a hybrid or something.

So it doesn't affect me. The people who will be hit are my less well-off neighbours who a) have older diesels and b) have small children and stuff to cart about. So they are least placed to change their car or park it outside the zone. I wonder if they will do the sums and see if they can get rid of the car and just use Uber when needed? There are also a few Zipcars about - which will be new enough to be exempt - so again, that could be a more cost-effective solution if it averages out. Which could actually do something about congestion and pollution if enough people make the change.

I think Tarambor has a point - that a lot of the short journeys (including the school run) are a significant factor where people jump in the car for convenience or to save 5 minutes without thinking whether they could actually be walked. Public Transport isn't always a sensible option - especially out here where the Tube doesn't reach - as it is mostly designed around heading in or out rather than around the edges.
    Wash your Knobs and Knockers... Keep the Postie safe!
This discussion has been closed.
Latest News and Guides