Amazon came into my back garden!

Options

Comments

• tastyhog
    tastyhog Posts: 847 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Was hanging washing out today when the back gate opened and in came an Amazon driver saying he was looking for house x ! You can't access the garden from the side of the house - we live in a terrace so you have to go down the alley round the back.
    I'm really upset that he did this. Really feels like an invasion of my privacy. I was wearing just a night dress. My daughter is now worried to play in the garden. Made me realize I need a lock on the gate if nothing else.:naughty:

maybe you shouldn't be putting the fear of god in to her about the strange man that was lurking in your garden.
  • kingfisherblue
    kingfisherblue Posts: 9,203 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Xmas Saver!
    Options
    Presumably you were unable to answer a knock at your door, OP, as you didn't hear it. So, rather than just popping a card through, the delivery man decided to try to leave the parcel in a safe place - your back garden. You create a fuss about it.

Now, let's turn it around a little. The delivery man doesn't get a reply when he knocks (because you don't hear him - you are in the back garden). He leaves a card saying that he has called. You then post stating how useless he is, because you were at home the whole time...
  • Fosterdog
    Fosterdog Posts: 4,948 Forumite
    Options
    It's also possible with all of this that the parcel actually had safeplace instructions printed on it saying to leave in the back garden (all of my amazon deliveries have our safe place printed on them). Maybe the gates at the back are not numbered and he miscounted the houses by the time he got into the lane and couldn't work out which house it should be. Then he either heard somebody in a garden and decided to ask or thought that it was the correct garden and at finding the gate unlocked assumed it was the right house until coming face to face with OP in her nightie and her child.

Living in a terraced house, if you don't want people to see you in your nightie you just don't go outside wearing just that, your neighbours will be able to see you so why would one extra person be a problem.
  • warby68
    warby68 Posts: 3,035 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I don't see why a back gate is any different to a front gate. It leads to a door to knock on.

If you don't want it used, lock it.

If you have a child who plays there the fact that you don't already have a lock is the most startling thing here.
  • lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,718 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    In my pre-teen years I grew up in a small area of late Victorian/ Edwardian houses. Back in the 1950s/60s (obviously earlier) hardly any caller came to the front door. If you went to call for your friends you went to the back door. Apart from the milkman and postman, nearly all deliveries were to the back door.

Even in the 1970s, some people still expected visitors to use the back door. So perhaps our Amazon delivery man was of the "old school".
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • LadyDee
    LadyDee Posts: 4,293 Forumite
    Options
    Many years ago my Scottish MIL lived in a small village, various deliveries (meat, veg, fish etc) were made by the appropriate vendors and she used to leave each payment on the kitchen table, door unlocked, with a note as to who it was for, while she was up the road having a cuppa with her friend! Those were the days.
  • LilElvis
    LilElvis Posts: 5,835 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    In my pre-teen years I grew up in a small area of late Victorian/ Edwardian houses. Back in the 1950s/60s (obviously earlier) hardly any caller came to the front door. If you went to call for your friends you went to the back door. Apart from the milkman and postman, nearly all deliveries were to the back door.

Even in the 1970s, some people still expected visitors to use the back door. So perhaps our Amazon delivery man was of the "old school".

The parents live in an Arts and Crafts house which has a gated driveway leading to the front door and, about 6 feet to the right, a gate and footpath going to the side door. The little gate still has the original brass plaque with "Tradesmen" written on it. No one has used the little gate in years but the previous owner of the house insisted that the binmen/ postie and milkman did. The binmen were particularly pleased when they were told they didn't need to use it anymore as the gate is on savage springs which made opening it and getting the rubbish out a logistical nightmare.
  • Enterprise_1701C
    Enterprise_1701C Posts: 23,409 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    I have to admit I would be rather annoyed if someone came through my back gate uninvited.

If we are out we are fortunate to have neighbours that are happy to take in packages (as do we) for us, one or two of the delivery drivers pop packages over the fence for us, but they do not come into the back garden.

Suggest you get a bolt for the gate.
    What is this life if, full of care, we have no time to stand and stare
  • custardy
    custardy Posts: 38,365 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Courier goes the extra effort to deliver a package.
    Gets chastised for it.......
  • marliepanda
    marliepanda Posts: 7,186 Forumite
    Options
    I have to admit I would be rather annoyed if someone came through my back gate uninvited.

Being annoyed is one thing, I get that.

Having a child who is now too worried to play in the garden because 'a stranger came in' is an overreaction. The man did nothing scary or worrying, she should be no more scared of him than a random man in the street. As is mentioning what you were wearing as if that has any bearing on the situation. naked, nightdress, boiler suit. You're outside in it, you should expect to be seen in it.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure