MSE.com Attacked: PPI Campaign Suffers

Options

Comments

• madfrenchgirl
    Options
    I am glad the site is back! I cannot add anything else to all the speculations, it is only my personal opinion. May I venture saying something about big loan companies not being involved because they have to be law-abiding: there are plenty of documented cases of big companies bullying the underdog via unlawful methods (BA versus Virgin Atlantic anyone?). Best guess is: We will never know.

Congrats to the MSE techie team: I hope they get a BIG xmas bonus this year!

And Martin: why not getting a Tonight's special about the attack for telling people on how to secure their computers with this attack as an example. The vengeful in me might say to use this incident to get yourself and ourselves more publicity but my brain says no: it will only make us appear spiteful, bitter and judgemental to the rest of the world.
    "Don't cry, Don't Raise your Eye
    It's only teenage wasteland"
    The Who - Baba O'Riley
    Who's Next (1971)

RIP Keith Moon
    RIP John Entwistle
  • MrsW82
    MrsW82 Posts: 97 Forumite
    Options
    I'm a bit behind with everything - I've only just found out what's happened! (I thought it was my 'Net connection/ pc that was playing up!)
    Can't believe that anybody could be so malicious though - Now who could feel threatened by a non-profit site such as this, in order to attack it?!:mad:
    But Yay! to Martin and the techy guys - there's no keeping 'em down!:T
  • BorisTheSpider_3
    Options
    MrsW82 wrote: »
    Can't believe that anybody could be so malicious though - Now who could feel threatened by a non-profit site such as this, in order to attack it?!:mad:

It's definitely not non-profit, although not everything generates revenue.
  • Dill
    Dill Posts: 1,743 Forumite
    Options
    At first I thought the servers might have conked under the amount of users, but was quite shocked to find out that someone had deliberately set out to attack the site!

I guess the disturbing and frustrating thing about acts like this which are comitted in cyberspace is that it may never come to light who was behind the attack and why they felt compelled to go to such lengths.

A big THANKYOU to Martin and the team for working so hard to restore the service, - like so many others I've really missed the site over the past few days.
  • DaveAshton
    DaveAshton Posts: 7,851 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    You can't keep a good man/site down. Great work tech-guys, your work is much appreciated.
    Back on MSE after a 5 year hiatus.

:heart2: Rhi :heart2:
  • iolanthe07
    iolanthe07 Posts: 5,493 Forumite
    Options
    If this attack was from financial institution, then it was a kind of compliment in a way - a compliment to the site's effectiveness. Personally though I lean towards the spotty geek theory.
    I used to think that good grammar is important, but now I know that good wine is importanter.
  • beverleyhills
    Options
    Martin and techie team

Well done for all your hard work to resusitate the site. I'm sure that lessons will be learned so that some good may come from evil.
    'You can't change the past, you can only change the future' Gary Boulet.

'Show me the person who never makes a mistake and I'll show you the person who never makes anything'. Anon
  • bedfontbob
    Options
    I agree with everyone about this site. it is one of the most valuable and informative sites I have come across on the net and All power to Maritn and his team,

:j :money: :T :money: :T :money: :j
    Keep up the great work,lets hope that the culprits get everything they deserve.
  • Edna_Bucket_2
    Options
    ceridwen wrote: »
    ...Now I am sure the attacker/s are reading this - so, for their benefit the following:

I doubt it ceridwen - I know you meant well but you used words that were probably far too long for the 14 year old misfit probably behind the disruption to understand.

There's nothing "personal" about the attack on MSE, despite what some have said; it's just a juicy hugely popular site which clearly had some security flaws, and was attractive to the maladjusted teen who was trying to show his friends how "clever" he was.

Anyway, good to see that it's back up and that Martin hasn't wasted his time while it was down - judging from the picture at the top the hair replacement treatment is coming along very nicely!
    :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :money: :money: :money:
  • gizmos
    gizmos Posts: 359 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    jmarko wrote: »
    Martin and team - well done on getting this up and running again! :D :T :T :T

Hope you realise from all the posts how much your work is appreciated!

Can I also add a quick thanks to the people on paidtoshop who gave us a temporary refugee and those who helped spread the word on Facebook and elsewhere? I know it wasn't quite the same but they gave us a little place on their forum and made us a sticky so we were easy to find. And, in times of crisis, it's good to see who your friends are! :D

jmarko

thats nice of you to mention us - we're still clearing up your campt - that portoloo - yuk ;) - damn was trying to use one of the PTS smilies there
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure