NST June 2018 A JUNE ODESSEY (Staycation)

Options

Comments

• thriftylass
    thriftylass Posts: 3,981 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    edited 30 May 2018 at 10:52AM
    Options
    Here is my plan for June

A Ask yourself 'Is this necessary?' Before purchasing anything. When you make a 'to do' list (is it realistic or even possible). The first question will need to be asked more rigorously.

My to-do-lists have massively improved. I started reading the book The Now Habit and took a time management kind of course at work which have helped a lot (acknowledge achievements rather what hasn't been done, break down to do lists into manageable tasks, schedule leisure time -like now when after a few 30 minute sections of focused uninterrupted work I allow/reward myself 15 min on here rather than procrastinating on here all morning etc etc etc).

J You will aim for 20 NSDs (tough target) I will.

U Use the food you have in the cupboards, fridge and freezer to base your meals on. Meal plan (for the month or for a few days at a time, whichever suits). Cook from scratch (short cuts permitted if you are feeling stressed) Will do that especially as the freezer needs defrosting and random bit need to be used up.

N No takeaways, coffee, chip or pie shop purchases. Purse stays at home this month. Got a dinner/night out planned this Friday but it's a prepaid deal.

E Eating well is a form of self respect. Got a plan for that too.

O Offer help and encouragement to other turtles and people you meet. Be kind to everyone, especially yourself.

D Debt or savings payments should be made first - live on what is left Need to try and stick to budget better or plan more realistically.

E Exercise according to your programme or your ability. Minimum of 3 times a week. Try to get outside every day. 5 days a week triathlon training. Only 10 weeks to first race.

S Set all your budgets before the start of the month. Food, travel, social, diy, other. Done, although see point D.

S Someone, somewhere is worse off than you. Donate to the local food bank or other charity of your choice. Clear some of your clutter and donate the goods to charity. Now is a good time to check children's clothing (I would always turn too short/ holey joggers/ trousers into shorts). Just did a massive clear out of clothes (2 out of the 4 of us done, 2 to go) for RagBag in DS' school.

E Every day check in is reccommended, especially when things go wrong. Will try a lot harder.

Y You are the most important person in your life. You are your own longest term investment. You matter. Read this and the daily quotes, take on anything you find relevant and helpful, ditch the rest. Thank you
    DEBT 09/23: CC 6347 5120, Other 1763 NSDs 0/20 Planned debt free date: Dec 2024
  • Dia_Pita
    Dia_Pita Posts: 116 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Mortgage-free Glee! Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    My plan for June

A Will ask myself 'Is this necessary?' before purchasing anything.
    J June challenge runs from 1st June to 30th
    . Aiming for 10 NSDs
    U I will make a list of all food in the freezer & cupboards & mark it off when used. To meal plan and photo list on to phone when shopping.
    N Will make own takeaways & take sandwiches & water on long trips.
    E Will try and eat healthier, with one or two treats.

O Will do.
    D Will try to reduce the amount of savings spent & any extra money received or earned (ebay) can go into new savings pot.
    E Exercise daily on battle rope 2 x a day. Go for a 1 hour walk at least 3 x week & Spend time in garden at least 2 x a week.
    S Have set my budgets.
    S Will donate, and using old curtains to make small quilts for grandchildren.
    E Will try to check in every day, but sometimes life gets in the way.
    Y Will do.

Debt Free Aug 15 :)Mortgage Free Aug 16 :j
    Early retirement 1/10/ 2016.

• shabbychic12
    shabbychic12 Posts: 315 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Please count me in. Rubbish May things can only get better l hope x
    Count down to retirement 2023
  • Dottydaisy
    Dottydaisy Posts: 101 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Please count me in for June. Posting in May has been a complete failure will try harder in June. Been on a fantastic cruise with my mum (who also paid for it for me), lots of great music from lots of famous performers. We only got off at Bilbao for the Guggenheim which I enjoyed. Had a lot of thinking time and made some decisions.
    Am going to look at taking equity release from my house. My children are all well set up and I am using at least half my income on credit cards. Doing this will release 'my money' halve their inheritance but hey I started married life with practically nothing, this will relieve the monetary pressure, and guilt about debts.
    I need to loose weight so I have joined Slimming World on my return and although I weigh less than 10 years ago I still need to lose about 3 stone. Doing this I hope to improve my diabetes, arthritis and my general health.
    I need to say no more often when asked to do things, especially if I don't want to. This should help in my poor self esteem.
    Everyday I am going to look for the positives and try to ignore the negatives. This will help with my depression.
    Speaking with lots of people on the ship everyday has made me realise I am ignoring the social aspect of life, so I am going to make an effort to get out each day. Doing this should help with all of the above.

I know this essay is not responding properly to the June challenge(I will do this later) but my thinking time last week made me realise that lots of things need to change, and writing it down and sharing with all you lovely turtles makes it all real.

Thank you for reading
    Hugs to all
    xx
    NSD 1/3,
    My mantra is After I ....I will. eg After I make my morning coffee, I will take my medication. Eventually this will become a habit,
  • Tropically
    Tropically Posts: 427 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Could you count me in for June as well? I will commit to the pledges. I'm really loving the mental support.
    Mortgage started at £318,000 in June 2016. Original MF - 2041 :eek:
    2nd Property Mortgage at £275,000. Mortgage free: 2049 :eek:
    Total OPs: £29529
  • Toni'sfriend
    Toni'sfriend Posts: 4,034 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I've had some marvellous holidays since the beginning of the year. Nothing now until October so this challenge could not have come at a better time. Next year's holidays are booked and the money is available but I'd really like to spend the next four months saving as much as I possibly can to top up the holiday fund. Loads of food in the freezers which will be used before anything else is bought. There isn't another inch of space to put anything else in. The boy told me he had been using things from the freezer. What he didn't tell me was that for every one thing he took out he put another three in!!!
    I'm going to aim for just 10 NSDs because he's moving into his flat in the next few weeks so, being a mother, I can't resist the temptation to buy the odd thing that I know he will need (nothing expensive though!). On that subject the house is seriously cluttered with boxes and things and I can feel myself getting more and more stressed about the mess. So I'm going to calm down and take it a step at a time and not feel guilty. Who sees it anyway and does what they think really matter. No. I'm sure there will be lots for the charity shop (and the food bank once I find the tins etc that he has bought and won't use).
    Another one here who needs to lose a bit but I'm not going to weigh myself. I think that just puts on pressure. Much better to start eating a bit more healthily and stop drinking (well cut it down at least).
    There are so many people in a much worse position and I am so I'm going to count my blessings.
    Thank you, Mothernerd, for the words of wisdom. xx
    Have adventures. laugh a lot and always be kind.
  • gien
    gien Posts: 1,649 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Can I join you in this month's challenge? I'm having to be super frugal at the moment since my husband isn't working and everything needs to be cut to the bone.
    A: Is this necessary? Beyond food and regular bills, this month nothing is necessary.
    J: I will go for 20 NSDs but will make an exception when I buy supplies for my baking (which I sell at our local country market).
    U: not too much food in our cupboards at the moment but we will be carefully meal planning
    N: i have a weekend away which will involve one meal out at least but I have a budget for this.
    E: I'll keep a close eye on my food
    O: I need to make sure I am kind and considerate at work particularly
    D: £250 goes directly to my savigns everymonth
    E: I have a class twice a week and go walking and running when I can
    S: Budgets. I have all these on a spreadsheet. Main costs go out on direct debits, food will be £300 for everything
    S: I'm just about to decrease my payments to charity - we just can't afford them at the moment. i usually pay £5 a month to 5 charities and will reduce this to £1 a month untill DH is working again.
    E: I will check in everyday except the weekend I am away
    Y: will look after myself.

it's so important for me to keep within our income, even though that is going to be very difficult. I really am hoping that DH gets work soon and it gets a bit easier but until then am determined to keep in budget.
    Trying to keep in budget.

• mothernerd
    mothernerd Posts: 4,827 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Dottydaisy wrote: »
    Please count me in for June. Posting in May has been a complete failure will try harder in June. Been on a fantastic cruise with my mum (who also paid for it for me), lots of great music from lots of famous performers. We only got off at Bilbao for the Guggenheim which I enjoyed. Had a lot of thinking time and made some decisions.
    Am going to look at taking equity release from my house. My children are all well set up and I am using at least half my income on credit cards. Doing this will release 'my money' halve their inheritance but hey I started married life with practically nothing, this will relieve the monetary pressure, and guilt about debts.
    I need to loose weight so I have joined Slimming World on my return and although I weigh less than 10 years ago I still need to lose about 3 stone. Doing this I hope to improve my diabetes, arthritis and my general health.
    I need to say no more often when asked to do things, especially if I don't want to. This should help in my poor self esteem.
    Everyday I am going to look for the positives and try to ignore the negatives. This will help with my depression.
    Speaking with lots of people on the ship everyday has made me realise I am ignoring the social aspect of life, so I am going to make an effort to get out each day. Doing this should help with all of the above.

I know this essay is not responding properly to the June challenge(I will do this later) but my thinking time last week made me realise that lots of things need to change, and writing it down and sharing with all you lovely turtles makes it all real.

Thank you for reading
    Hugs to all
    xx

Sounds exactly what this month is all about - stepping back, reassessing, working out easier ways of going forward.

Read up on equity release on the main site - make sure it's right for you/ consider alternatives (smaller house?).
    My mission in life is not only to survive,but to thrive and to do so with some Passion, some Compassion, some Humour and some Style.
    NST SEP No 1 No Debt No mortgage
  • bizzie
    bizzie Posts: 277 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Can I join in for June please.
    Will be back to post.
    Groceries: Personal Spend: 0 NST NSD Goals for 2024:Self: Health: Wealth :
  • Munchin
    Munchin Posts: 2,816 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Hi. I would like to join please.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family