Hotel pre-authorisation legalities?

Options

Comments

• hasaposse
    hasaposse Posts: 38 Forumite
    Options
    I'm not asking what things might potentially cost extra in a hotel. If you don't understand the question then maybe just don't answer it instead of being patronising.
  • hollydays
    hollydays Posts: 19,812 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Not being patronising just being clear, it's usually the best way forward
  • jonesMUFCforever
    jonesMUFCforever Posts: 28,898 Forumite
    Options
    hollydays wrote: »
    Not being patronising just being clear, it's usually the best way forward

To (try) and answer your question - yes it is legal for them to charge you any amount as long as within their terms and conditions BECAUSE by booking their room YOU are entering into a contract accepting THEIR terms.

You have the choice to book elsewhere if you don't like the terms in the contract.
  • zagfles
    zagfles Posts: 20,323 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Chutzpah Haggler
    Options
    Just posted this in a similar couple of threads - might be of interest - Barclaycard telling hotels they can't charge the card for damage to the room, and other interesting stuff.
    https://www.barclaycard.co.uk/business/files/Lodging_or_Accommodation.pdf
  • hasaposse
    Options
    Thanks jonesMUFCforever but that's not actually the question.

I'll have a read through that zagfles, thank you!
  • peachyprice
    peachyprice Posts: 22,346 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    hasaposse wrote: »
    Thanks. Yup that part I understand, but I'm trying to find out what the law is regarding charging that non specified amount to your card. If it's not specified beforehand, are they allowed to just take it from the pre-authorised amount because you already authorised the charge on the card, or do they have to get a signature on a bill to do that?

Why do you have reason to believe they won't tell you at the time? Just because they don't publish corkage charges online doesn't mean they won't tell you how much it will be when you ask them to open your bottle. Or, you could jut take your own bottle opener and use it in your room.
    Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear
  • hasaposse
    Options
    Why do you have reason to believe they won't tell you at the time? Just because they don't publish corkage charges online doesn't mean they won't tell you how much it will be when you ask them to open your bottle. Or, you could jut take your own bottle opener and use it in your room.
    That's not really the point. I'm aware I can ask for specifics The corkage charge was just an example of something in the T&Cs that's an unspecified amount that they could therefore potentially charge anything for.

The question is whether I would still have to approve those sort of charges or whether they could just take it off of the card because I'd pre-approved the charge.

Although I'm repeating myself here.
  • KeithP
    KeithP Posts: 37,663 Forumite
    Options
    I'm aware that they don't need a second authorisation if your "final bill" is within 15% of the pre-authorised amount...

Where did you get that 15% from?
  • hasaposse
    edited 28 May 2018 at 12:09AM
    Options
    KeithP wrote: »
    I'm not actually allowed to post links but it's a VISA rule. MasterCard is slightly different. Not entirely sure about AMEX. Edit: If you Google "procedure-guide-nov17.pdf" the first link should be to a Barclays PDF and it's mentioned on P41.
  • KeithP
    KeithP Posts: 37,663 Forumite
    edited 28 May 2018 at 12:43AM
    Options
    KeithP wrote: »
    I'm not actually allowed to post links but it's a VISA rule. MasterCard is slightly different. Not entirely sure about AMEX. Edit: If you Google "procedure-guide-nov17.pdf" the first link should be to a Barclays PDF and it's mentioned on P41.
    Thanks for that. Here's the link:
    https://www.barclaycard.co.uk/business/files/procedure-guide-nov17.pdf

That appears to be some sort of rules that Barclaycard have agreed with their merchants.

What obligations does that place on the cardholder?

I ask because as a cardholder, I don't recall agreeing to anything like that.

Interested to see this on page 3:
    This guide is part of your Agreement with us
    So please keep it in a safe place - and in easy reach of your employees (but not your customers).
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure