Hotel pre-authorisation legalities?

Options

Comments

• hasaposse
    hasaposse Posts: 38 Forumite
    Options
    zagfles wrote: »
    Let's see if the OP of the thread linked gets their money back. Hopefully they'll update us.
    Thanks, I've not actually had any weird charges as of yet. It's just that I stay in hotels very regularly, and always have a pre-authorisation which is obviously normal, but never really looked into the legalities of it.

The reason I was posting was because the hotel I've booked next month had a couple of charges listed in their T&Cs that didn't state how much they were, so it got me thinking and my curiosity got the best of me, then I was surprised that I couldn't really find any clear information online.
  • zagfles
    zagfles Posts: 20,323 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Chutzpah Haggler
    Options
    JReacher1 wrote: »
    That is just one UK card company so I do not believe that is 100% accurate for all cards, countries etc.

The travelodge specifically put in their booking terms they will charge you for damages to your room, with or without permission.
    So what? It doesn't mean they can charge your card. It's well known that companies often have clauses in their T&Cs that can't be enforced. Even banks do (eg one of mine says I'm liable for all credit card losses if negligent, whereas the CCA 1974 limits it to £50).

They can of course sue you for any damage you do. Or send you a bill. Doesn't mean they can charge your card. Barclays merchant services are one of the largest providers of merchant services, they aren't going be some odd exception.
  • JReacher1
    JReacher1 Posts: 4,652 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    So what? It doesn't mean they can charge your card. It's well known that companies often have clauses in their T&Cs that can't be enforced. Even banks do (eg one of mine says I'm liable for all credit card losses if negligent, whereas the CCA 1974 limits it to £50).

They can of course sue you for any damage you do. Or send you a bill. Doesn't mean they can charge your card. Barclays merchant services are one of the largest providers of merchant services, they aren't going be some odd exception.

Well they specifically state they can and will charge your card. There are also many examples of people online who have had their card charged by travelodge for damages.
  • zagfles
    Options
    Well they specifically state they can and will charge your card. There are also many examples of people online who have had their card charged by travelodge for damages.
    Just like many merchants DCC without asking. It's cute how people seem to be under the illusion merchants never do something they shouldn't ;)
  • hasaposse
    Options
    Doing something doesn't mean they're allowed to. Large companies work simply on numbers. If they figure out they can charge customers for something and the amount they lose through court cases or legal action is less than the profit they make, they'll do it.
  • JReacher1
    Options
    Just like many merchants DCC without asking. It's cute how people seem to be under the illusion merchants never do something they shouldn't ;)

It is cute how people who don’t understand contract law try and deflect ;)
  • hasaposse
    Options
    The actual law > contracts.
  • JReacher1
    Options
    hasaposse wrote: »
    The actual law > contracts.

Contract law is the actual law.....
  • hasaposse
    Options
    Contract law is the actual law.....
    Oh good lord. You can't write something into a contract that usurps the law.
  • zagfles
    Options
    It's cute how some people don't seem to understand that we're talking whether they can charge your card, not whether you have a contractual liability to pay. Who should I believe, Barclays Merchant Services or some random person on the internet? Hmm....let me think...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure