🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Be careful out there.

Options

Comments

• kidmugsy
    kidmugsy Posts: 12,709 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Free the dunston one next time too.
  • kidmugsy
    kidmugsy Posts: 12,709 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    molerat wrote: »
    If someone wants any of my discarded paperwork they are free to re-assemble the cross cut shredded pieces from my compost bin ;)

Or our garden fire.
    Free the dunston one next time too.
  • robatwork
    robatwork Posts: 7,116 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    soulsaver wrote: »
    Like a high stake refer a friend scheme?

Exactly that! Potential payout of 1000s. Potential risk of losing your freedom, the friend, and any future bank account. Even given that I bet plenty are playing that game...and some of the OPs on this board who quickly shut up when carefully questioned give off very suspicious vibes of this scheme.
  • robatwork
    robatwork Posts: 7,116 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Another one from the article - not sure if D Mail are quoting verbatim or putting in "I have a degree" comments themselves:
    Others have been less fortunate.Hugh Milsom, 64, a funeral celebrant who lives in Swindon with his wife Erica, lost £7,800 when he believed he was talking to a NatWest employee when he was called one Saturday.

‘I have a degree, I worked in technology for 30 years and pulling the wool over my eyes is quite difficult, or so I thought,’ he says.

‘But my complaint was rejected as I’d been tricked into giving my PIN and authorising the transfer.’

I just wonder what you could tell someone "with a degree" that would make him reveal his PIN when we all know that nobody ever needs to know that.
  • Uxb
    Uxb Posts: 1,340 Forumite
    Options
    robatwork wrote: »
    Where I do have a problem with banks is the phrase "random Barclays account". It's not random - someone opened that account jumping through the hoops that Barclays puts up. And Barclays know who that is - or their systems aren't working. It's not good enough to just pay compensation and case closed. Either the Barclays account holder is a sophisticated fraudster and needs to be investigated and locked up, or things like this could be some huge scam between the complainant and the "random Barclays account" to get free compensation.

Destination could well be one of the overseas students accounts who "sell" their bank accounts to fraudsters when they leave the UK as they are not coming back and don't about anything or anyone else for that matter either.
    So the fraudsters take over the account totally unbeknown to the bank.
  • harrym1byt
    harrym1byt Posts: 64 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    A primary mistake was believing that because a number came up on the phone, as Nat West, that the caller was ringing from Nat West. It is now trivially easy to spoof any number a fraudster might care to want to use. 2 in 5 nuisance callers are spoofing an otherwise genuine phone number. They spoof a local STD number to you, to appear to be a local business ringing - they can be anywhere in the world. Even genuine callers sometimes spoof numbers.

So even your phone can lie to you..
  • heatherw_01
    heatherw_01 Posts: 6,554 Ambassador
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    I never give any info out to anyone that calls me out of the blue, no matter who they say they are.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Quick Grabbit, Freebies, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning and the UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards.
    If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.
    All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • ValiantSon
    ValiantSon Posts: 2,586 Forumite
    Options
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5755585/Victim-sophisticated-banking-scam-reveals-tricked-losing-4-000.html

After reading this I've decided if I ever have the remotest doubt about anybody calling me regarding banking issues I'm banging the phone down and checking in person at my nearest branches.

Funny, because my normal reaction to having read anything in the Daily Mail is an overriding urge to shower and scrub myself clean with carbolic soap.
  • maninthestreet
    maninthestreet Posts: 16,127 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    What is a 'funeral celebrant' ???
    "You were only supposed to blow the bl**dy doors off!!"
  • datlex
    datlex Posts: 2,239 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Why do people insist on taking unsolicited calls from banks. If there is a issue they will message you often in their apps or on their webpage. Then you can ring them.
    Paid off the last of my unsecured debts in 2016. Then saved up and bought a property. Current aim is to pay off my mortgage as early as possible. Currently over paying every month. Mortgage due to be paid off in 2036 hoping to get it paid off much earlier. Set up my own bespoke spreadsheet to manage my money.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 11 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport