🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Be careful out there.

Options
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5755585/Victim-sophisticated-banking-scam-reveals-tricked-losing-4-000.html

After reading this I've decided if I ever have the remotest doubt about anybody calling me regarding banking issues I'm banging the phone down and checking in person at my nearest branches.

Comments

• shortcrust
    shortcrust Posts: 2,697 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary Newshound!
    Options
    I will!:)

Gave up trying to read the article, what with adverts coving most of the screen and the page jumping about like pop corn as more were loading.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Another sob story.

If you fall for these things, much like the calls from "microsoft", then you shouldn't be allowed near the technology that provides it.
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 32,075 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    edited 22 May 2018 at 12:05PM
    Options
    !!! wrote: »
    Another sob story.

If you fall for these things, much like the calls from "microsoft", then you shouldn't be allowed near the technology that provides it.
    This "push fraud" is only able to go ahead because the account holder most likely already has lax security somewhere else. Watching a programme the other day and they were driving around picking up open and poorly secured home wireless networks. The amount of paperwork I have found in the street on a windy recycling day is a bit of an eye opener. If someone wants any of my discarded paperwork they are free to re-assemble the cross cut shredded pieces from my compost bin ;)
  • Silvertabby
    Silvertabby Posts: 9,115 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 22 May 2018 at 12:26PM
    Options
    Sounds reasonably plausible - we've had similar genuine calls - until you get to the bit when this Nat West customer is told to open a new account with Barclays and to transfer her money into the new account.

Common sense, peoples.
  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 31,733 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Be careful out there.

[Daily Mail link]
    I wonder if there's been any analysis of the newspaper-reading habits of those who are scammed?

It wouldn't surprise me to learn that those who take the Daily Mail seriously are inherently more gullible and lacking of critical faculties than the rest of the population at large....
  • seashore22
    seashore22 Posts: 1,443 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I'm not sure I would call that a new or sophisticated scam.

I've certainly heard of it a few times.

As someone has already said, it's common sense that no bank would need me to be transferring money anywhere.

I'm afraid that anyone calling me on the landline phone or mobile is immediately treated with extreme caution unless they are family or friends. I think it's the only way to be these days.
  • soulsaver
    soulsaver Posts: 6,041 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    "I am neither gullible nor a Luddite. I'm a middle-aged mother-of-three who considers herself to be sassy and alert..."

Well.. you may be right about a MAM of 3...but you're on your own with the other opinions now, sister.
  • Yorkshire_Pud
    Yorkshire_Pud Posts: 1,864 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    The government should bring in an idiots tax to pay for all these 'sophisticated' scams lol. Beggers belief.
  • robatwork
    robatwork Posts: 7,116 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I read the whole article.

Even when dressed up with lots of caveats, the woman who professes herself sensible, intelligent and clear minded is anything but. Her story almost garnered sympathy until she transferred the money into another account. And an account not with the same bank.

Why did she not just transfer it to another account of hers? She seems a woman of some substance who would have another account somewhere.

Where I do have a problem with banks is the phrase "random Barclays account". It's not random - someone opened that account jumping through the hoops that Barclays puts up. And Barclays know who that is - or their systems aren't working. It's not good enough to just pay compensation and case closed. Either the Barclays account holder is a sophisticated fraudster and needs to be investigated and locked up, or things like this could be some huge scam between the complainant and the "random Barclays account" to get free compensation.

Couldn't I transfer £4k to a mate, get him to close his account, and ring up Natwest and Barclays now, tell them a story just like this and get the £4k back? If my mate was never investigated, it's easy money.....
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 11 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.5K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport