Smart Meter

Options
I am moving to a house which has a British gas smart meter for both electric and gas meters with one of those gadgets to measure usage/ spend in the lounge. the current owners are with British gas, I want to change to N power as the tariffs are much cheaper, Is this possible to do straight away even with first gen smart meters?

or will he meters need changing before I move suppliers?

Comments

• Dobbibill
    Dobbibill Posts: 4,136 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    The meters are specific to supplier at the moment.

You need to create an account with BG if they are the suppliers, once set up with those you are then free to move to a supplier of your choice.

The meters will not work with a new supplier but this does't prevent you moving. You are then able to have a meter from your new supplier if you wish. You don't wait for a smart meter first. You can submit meter readings regularly to receive accurate bills until a NP provide a new smart meter.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Budgeting & Bank Accounts, Credit Cards, Credit File & Ratings and Energy boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

If you can't be the best -
    Just be better than you were yesterday.
  • Robin9
    Robin9 Posts: 12,135 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Once you have changed suppliers the device in the lounge will become useless (if was any use before)
    Never pay on an estimated bill
  • System
    System Posts: 178,103 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    thiscounty wrote: »
    I am moving to a house which has a British gas smart meter for both electric and gas meters with one of those gadgets to measure usage/ spend in the lounge. the current owners are with British gas, I want to change to N power as the tariffs are much cheaper, Is this possible to do straight away even with first gen smart meters?

The industry has in theory to change 53M domestic meters by the end of 2020. So far, as at 31 Dec 2017, the grand total of 9.029M smart meters have been installed. In my view, suppliers should not be changing smart meters each time a consumer changes supplier as this just adds additional costs to the final bill that we are all paying for this ill thought through and poorly managed rollout programme.

I know that a lot of suppliers' websites still state that they do not support smart meters. This is not quite what it seems. It means that they have no immediate plans to deploy smart meters to their customers as they are waiting to see how the next generation of smart meters (SMETS2) work in practice.

As far as your smart meter is concerned, you just have to read it as others have said. On current plans, your smart meter will be firmware updated by 2020, or replaced if this is not possible, to enable supplier switching.
  • AndyPK
    AndyPK Posts: 4,241 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    have a look at sainsburys energy. They are basically B.Gas but cheaper,
    and I think the smart meters will still work.

Npower aren't cheap anymore
  • thiscounty
    Options
    Thanks, so I can move my supplies and in effect the meters become dum again like a normal one and I just send readings as normall
  • System
    Options
    Thanks, so I can move my supplies and in effect the meters become dum again like a normal one and I just send readings as normall

Yes. Make sure that you take any opening readings on switch off the meter and not the IHD. There have been a number of posts where the the IHD changes gas volume - cubic metres - to kWhs and this reading has been submitted causing untold confusion.
  • bwff
    bwff Posts: 30 Forumite
    Options

You cannot do anything until you move in.

Then you need to register with the existing supplier(s) - you can do that on the day you move in via a simple telephone call

Then you can apply to switch supplier (which will take a minimum of 17 days from application to occur)
  • bwff
    Options
    Hengus wrote: »
    ...There have been a number of posts where the the IHD changes gas volume - cubic metres - to kWhs and this reading has been submitted causing untold confusion.

How does it do this? :huh:

How does it know the calorific value real time???

Or are these smart meters so smart that they also measure the CV?
    :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:
  • System
    Options
    bwff wrote: »
    How does it do this? :huh:

How does it know the calorific value real time???

Or are these smart meters so smart that they also measure the CV?
    :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

I suspect that it does what most of us to do to check a bill. It multiplies the metric usage reading by 11.22. It is, of course, possible that CV information from the National Grid is downloaded by the supplier to the meter, as is the case with the tariff. However it is done, actual billing will be based on readings taken from the meters using CV data taken across the whole of the billing period; for example 1 to 31 May - add up all the daily CVs; divide by 31 and truncate to 1 decimal place.
  • bwff
    Options
    Hengus wrote: »
    I suspect that it does what most of us to do to check a bill. It multiplies the metric usage reading by 11.22. It is, of course, possible that CV information from the National Grid is downloaded by the supplier to the meter, as is the case with the tariff. However it is done, actual billing will be based on readings taken from the meters using CV data taken across the whole of the billing period; for example 1 to 31 May - add up all the daily CVs; divide by 31 and truncate to 1 decimal place.

How do you know what most of us do???

I can only speak for myself, but if I wish to check a bill, I use the calculation method described on the bill.
    If I wish to verify the calculation method used on the bill, google is a good friend of mine ;)

You can also find verification of the CV values from my good friend, if you are so supsicious of your supplier that you don't trust that either.

If you care to check with my friend, he/she is very friendly and will help anyone, you will also see it is not possible according to law to ' download CV data from the National Grid' in real time.
    If you have any understanding of how the CV value is arrived at, you would know that.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure