10 Posts Second Anniversary
edited 1 December 2020 at 8:32AM in Credit Cards
[deleted.]

Replies

• eskbankereskbanker Forumite
    19.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The short answer to your question is no, there isn't any way of knowing what credit limit you'd be offered without applying.

No harm in taking an objective view of your credit situation as it'll be seen by prospective lenders though, so consider the following....

Underwriters will consider total available credit as well as other affordability measures - even if you're not running any large balances then do you have other credit cards?

Having said that, it can be a double-edged sword - if you don't have other credit cards, and evidence of managing them well, then getting a new one with a credit limit of over £20K is somewhat unlikely.

Have you checked what your credit files look like, and tried the eligibility checker on here at https://creditcards.moneysavingexpert.com/?money-transfers?
  • MallyGirlMallyGirl Forumite, Board Guide
    5.5K Posts
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Intrepid Forum Explorer
    ✭✭✭✭
    I would make one application. If you get it then go for the loan at a reduced size, if not then the loan @ 2.8% for the required settlement (as long as that is a lower APR than you are currently paying.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Debt-free Wannabe, Loans & Credit Cards boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to [email protected]
    Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • DobbibillDobbibill Forumite, Board Guide
    4K Posts
    Seventh Anniversary 1,000 Posts Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    and as long as that is the rate offered - many don't get the headline rate so read the info carefully.

See what credit limit you are offered on application - some of it at 0% is better than none ;)
    I'm a Board Guide on the Energy, Student Money Saving, UK Armed Forces and
    Local Money Saving - Wales boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge posts there.
    Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to [email protected]. Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.

It's not about being the best -
    It's about being better than you were yesterday.
  • jonesMUFCforeverjonesMUFCforever Forumite
    28.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dobbibill wrote: »
    and as long as that is the rate offered - many don't get the headline rate so read the info carefully.

See what credit limit you are offered on application - some of it at 0% is better than none ;)

..........but is it though?

Partial loan repayment may mean the monthly repayment staying the same plus then at least a minimum payment on the card.

IMO getting a loan at a lower rate would be a better solution with as many overpayments as the OP could afford.
  • Ben8282Ben8282
    4.8K Posts
    1,000 Posts Combo Breaker Newshound!
    ✭✭✭✭
    The chance of your getting a money transfer card with an initial credit limit in excess of £20K is very very low.
    If your current credit card has a £5K limit then expect a credit limit in that range. You will not suddenly be given £20K elsewhere. even though your current available credit is disproportionately low in relation to your income.
    The existence of £21K outstanding debt will not help the situation.
  • SncjwSncjw Forumite
    2.8K Posts
    Seventh Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Also take in account your effectively being assessed on double the debt. So 40k debt.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Tesco launches its first ever...

...checkout-free supermarket store

MSE News

25+ ways to stop scams

Plus what to do if you're a victim

MSE Guides

Beauty Advent calendar round-up

The Body Shop, Holland & Barrett etc

MSE Deals