Crazy Cat Lady Chapter 3 - A New Beginning

Options

Comments

• beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,322 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Options
    Hope you got on ok at the bank.
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • apple_muncher
    apple_muncher Posts: 14,711 Forumite
    First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee! First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Hope the bank were nice to you. Otherwise we may have to come and sort them out...
    NST March lion #8; NSD ; MFW9/3/23 Whoop Whoop!!!
  • crazy_cat_lady
    crazy_cat_lady Posts: 7,063 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Morning all :coffee: :hello:
    Thanks for asking Beanie and Apple - it went ok at the bank (I think). I had to run through some application details and I have an agreement in principle. I've put the application in and am waiting for the valuation to come through and see what happens next. The mortgage lady was lovely and seems to think that it should all go through without a hitch over the next couple of weeks. Plus ex has to go in and meet the same lady tomorrow to confirm that he's happy for me to take the mortgage on my own. Then I just need to see my solicitor and get everything on the go. I still haven't made the appointment yet - I really want to go once I know what's happening with the house so we can start the financial side of things as well as finalising the divorce. He costs something like £150 an hour so I might as well get as much value for money as I can :D
    While I was at the bank the three kids decided between them that they would like to go to some expensive chain restaurant for lunch. Luckily enough I had a kids eat for £1 voucher which soaked up the cost a bit (but it was still a lot). We went for a wander round the shops afterwards as well and bought a few things. Nothing frivolous, and all budgeted for - me and dd got pens for next school term, I got some skincare stuff that I needed, dd got herself some new makeup, and ds and his friend got a squishy each. I was very proud of myself when I got home and updated YNAB straight away (not as quick as doing it as I went on the app but I was happy enough).
    Got home to a lovely clean house, bestie's dh picked their ds up, my ds went straight onto his Xbox, while me and dd decided to have a girlie pamper evening, with face masks and foot masks. Really funny.
    The three of us also watched Greatest Showman, again. The kids really love that film - some of the best money I ever spent getting that. It's not very often that we all agree on something but we love a good singalong with that.
    Woke up early this morning, but I don't have many real plans for the day. I've washed dishes and put a load of washing on, made a few reusable face scrubbies and facecloths (doing my bit for the environment) and looked over the budget again (have become mildly addicted to that). The weather is still warm, but grey, and I think we're forecast rain over the next few hours - kids are both upstairs on their electronics at the moment and seemingly happy enough. I just always feel a bit guilty sitting doing nothing. We shall see.
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,322 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Options
    Enjoy the moments of not doing anything.
    I on the other hand have lots of things I should be doing..........
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • crazy_cat_lady
    Options
    Of course I didn't sit doing nothing for very long. I decided to do something else that has needed doing for a while and I haven't dedicated the time or effort to - replacing some of the kids bedroom furniture. DD has been desperate for a new chest of drawers for a couple of years, and DS has had his bed frame for just over a year and it's broken. So we all went off to the land of Swedish flat pack furniture and I spent £144, which included a large chest of drawers for dd, a wooden bed frame for ds, and a few teeny bits that I tend to stock up on whenever I'm there - chocolate treats, batteries and magazine storage boxes. I wanted some new plates as well but didn't want to pay the price of the ones I liked so I didn't bother. The flat pack furniture is still boxed in the kitchen - I've told the kids I'm not assembling anything until she has sorted through everything in the old drawers and until he has cleared out under his bed. It is definitely not happening tonight. I didn't have this furniture on my annoying jobs list but I'd better put it there now. Along with a couple of other things I've been thinking about during the day.
    I took bestie to collect her car from the garage then popped to Mr S for some bread - ds has his friend staying over tonight and I want to be able to offer toast in the morning. We rarely eat cereal or toast but I know that this is not the norm. Also popped to my friend's shop for a healthy takeaway meal for myself as I didn't fancy pizza with the kids.
    We didn't get in until after 6 and then I've just sat and done not-very-much. We've all had dinner and I've sat done a bit of reading, of all things... no crochet yet today though.
    I'm just going to wash the dishes then watch something on the box for an hour before bed, and try to decide what I'm doing with my life tomorrow. :D
  • Honeysucklelou2
    Honeysucklelou2 Posts: 4,657 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Wow, sounds like a busy few days. My children enjoy the Greatest Showman film, although I have yet to see it, but they are often humming away. It's wonderful to get to the holidays and be able to simply be with your children isn't it? Have a good day today!
    paydbx2024 #2 £480/£5000 . Mortgage £144k start ~ £148k Jun 23 -
    2024 savings challenge £5/£2000
    EF £140. Savings 2 £30.00. Weekly savings envelope #17
  • SpekySquarehead
    SpekySquarehead Posts: 3,019 Forumite
    Photogenic Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    CCL - A healthy takeaway...?!?! What does that consist of if you don't mind me asking.
  • crazy_cat_lady
    Options
    Wow, sounds like a busy few days. My children enjoy the Greatest Showman film, although I have yet to see it, but they are often humming away. It's wonderful to get to the holidays and be able to simply be with your children isn't it? Have a good day today!

I love when I don't have to worry about getting to work, and I appreciate it even more when there's something that all 3 of us can enjoy together because that is a very rare occurrence these days.
    CCL - A healthy takeaway...?!?! What does that consist of if you don't mind me asking.

I don't mind at all Speky. My friend has opened up a healthy takeaway shop (something she's wanted to do for years - she was even on The Apprentice a few years ago) - it'sfresh, cooked from scratch and all gluten free as well which apparently is a good thing, although I'm fine with gluten. Last night's dinner was bunless home made burger with rice noodles and spinach, and I have a sweet potato cottage pie for tonight as well. It's good food and I don't have to make it :p

So - today is going to be a hard day for me. I've had less than 5 hours of sleep thanks to ds and his sleepover, and my house being too small to hide from the noise. So I'm grumpy before I've started.
    I am just on my way out with dd - she lost her house key yesterday while she was out with her friends. I have toyed with the idea of getting the locks changed, but it's less than 3 months since I did that, plus there are no identifying features on her keyring so I've decided that I'm just going to get a new one cut and hope for the best. As she was 2 miles from home it's unlikely that the key will be matched with our house.
    While we're out I'm going to try and get the following annoying jobs sorted out:
    dd's blazer dry cleaned
    dd's uniform ordered for next year
    return an outfit I bought for myself that I thought would be great but just makes me look even shorter and rounder than I am.
    The flat pack will remain flat packed until my kids do their side of the deal - clearing old drawers or clearing under the bed.
    Wish me luck - I think today is about survival rather than getting stuff done.
  • crazy_cat_lady
    Options
    Well, considering how tired I am - today has been reasonably successful. I'm always more accountable once I've got something written down.
    Went out early with dd - got a new key cut and put her blazer in for cleaning. Then came back via the only shop in the world that stocks her school uniform, and I bought that. It was much quieter with it being the beginning of the hols than leaving it until the last minute. And I returned my outfit so I no longer look like a potato...
    Came home, made lunch and did a bit of crochet. Almost got a nap on the sofa but ds put paid to that. Relaxed a lot and haven't done much else. The furniture remains flat packed but that is entirely because the kids haven't done what was asked of them...
    Also managed to get myself a good deal with home insurance, which is up for renewal. And I am going to get infinitely more use out of the Meerkat Meals than I have ever done with Meerkat movies. There are loads of restaurants on there.
    Desperately hoping for a good night's sleep tonight - I feel like I really need it.
  • apple_muncher
    apple_muncher Posts: 14,711 Forumite
    First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee! First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Hope you slept well x
    NST March lion #8; NSD ; MFW9/3/23 Whoop Whoop!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure