0% Card to pay off loan remainder

Options
mode500
mode500 Posts: 9 Forumite
First Anniversary
Hi all,

I took out a loan for £3,500.00 ( 6.7%) over 60 months via Zopa to partly pay for a new car in September 2016. At present I still have £2,885 owing.

I would ideally like some help in regards to using one of the Money Transfer cards mentioned on here as I do not fully understand how this whole process works but understand that it is most probably the best way to pay of the remainder of the money.

There are two options from what I can tell ... Either use the MBNA card where I get 48 months at 4.9% or wait a little until I have paid off a bit more on the loan until I can pay the remainder using one of the 0% 32-36 months on offer. Which do you think would be the better way of doing it?

Thank you in advance :)

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    It depends on how quickly you can clear it and what cards you can get.

The cheapest option, if you can get it, is to get it onto 0% and clear it within the promo timeframe.
  • mode500
    First Anniversary
    edited 24 April 2018 at 3:28PM
    Options
    Wow that was a quick response! Yeah I know and understand that much but I don't fully understand how balance transfer cards work as I have never used one before (I've only ever owned and used one credit card for the purchase of a computer which I paid off within 18 months) ... I mean could you possibly walk me through a scenario please given the details above.

I mean I am currently paying £68.70 per month for the loan so my thinking is if I transfer that to 0% card I will be able to pay it off quicker as I will no longer be paying the 6.7% on the loan, correct?
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    With a money transfer card, you transfer money into your bank account for a fee (usually around 3-4%).

You can then use that money for anything - such as paying off a loan.

You then need to pay off the balance on your card, making at least minimum payments. Any remaining balance after the promo ends will be charged at the standard APR on the card.
  • mode500
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Ahh okay I see I understand it a lot better now so thank you so much! So yeah I basically pay a small percentage fee for transferring the money into my bank account to pay off the loan, okay got it, good :)
  • Dobbibill
    Dobbibill Posts: 4,135 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Make sure the card you opt for has a MT option rather than a BT only option. ;)
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Budgeting & Bank Accounts, Credit Cards, Credit File & Ratings and Energy boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

If you can't be the best -
    Just be better than you were yesterday.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family