PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

May 2018 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• Mrs_Cheshire
    Mrs_Cheshire Posts: 1,193 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Haven't had much free time to catch up on the chat this month but I've been adding my spends to my spreadsheet as usual. I'm currently at £260.49/£400, got loads of meat in the freezer and most of the bulk items that I'll need for the rest of the month.
    Grocery Challenge 2020
    Jan £377.98/£380, Feb £417.83/£370 March /£400
  • supersaver1000
    supersaver1000 Posts: 2,465 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Quick shop at Adli's on way home. £8.05 but it wasn't for veg - no veg in my basket tonight - just four lovely burgers, cheese to melt on top and some nice soft buns. Then in slipped my trolley were some Tunnock's teacakes, wafers and some yoghurt rice cakes - just jumped right in and couldn't stop them :D Few fries from the freezer and it was comfort food tonight :)

To date: £306.63/£300
    OSWL (start 13st) by 30Jun20 6/10
    £1/day Xmas'20-62 £214/£366 saved
    Grocery Challenge Jun £742/£320 spent
    Homeowner wannabe by July 2020 - WooHoo!!
    Starter Emergency Fund £1000/£1000 saved
  • MadamMim2013
    MadamMim2013 Posts: 887 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    £15.84 in MnS today.. Must haves and treats!
    Will total up..
    "There's a little witch in all of us"🥰
    DEBT FREE 06/2018
    MrsSD 2023 Decluttering Campaign:
    🏅⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • Puddleglum
    Puddleglum Posts: 851 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    My spend for this week came to £43.85 which is slightly over budget but I have been under for the earlier part of the month. There were some exceptional items in the basket like toothpaste for oh so sensitive teeth and they probably added £6 to the total. Funnily enough just buying the toothpaste seems to have done the trick, I don't think that I will actually have to use it!
    "A thousand candles can be lit from a single candle without shortening the life of that candle."

I still am Puddleglum - phew!
  • K9sandFelines
    K9sandFelines Posts: 2,578 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic Combo Breaker
    Options
    Killed some time today before college so spent £4.46 on food in Quality Save
    Then I got home earlier than usual on a Thursday, so dived in with my Dad to go to Aldi, so I could stock up on tins and a few other cupboard staples.That came to £27.02.

£31.48 total for today.

This brings my full total to just over £100.

We should have plenty to last until most of the rest of the month.
    GC £150 a month for food, toiletries and cleaning Jan £134.58 Feb £137.18 Mar £118.89 April £
    Forever learning the art of frugality
  • supersaver1000
    supersaver1000 Posts: 2,465 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    edited 17 May 2018 at 8:03PM
    Options
    Chocolate purchase today £2.20 :o

To date: £308.83/£300
    OSWL (start 13st) by 30Jun20 6/10
    £1/day Xmas'20-62 £214/£366 saved
    Grocery Challenge Jun £742/£320 spent
    Homeowner wannabe by July 2020 - WooHoo!!
    Starter Emergency Fund £1000/£1000 saved
  • turtlemonkey
    Options
    Stopped by Lidl yesterday and spent £11.12 on food and some snacks. (Also got a nice new top and a solar light for the window sill, but those come out of separate budgets.)

Total spend on groceries so far in May: £65.67. Left in budget: £44.33. NSDs: 10
  • K9sandFelines
    K9sandFelines Posts: 2,578 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic Combo Breaker
    Options
    £2.00 spent on Starburst. I went into B and M for throat lozenges (but i don't include these), and bought these aswell.
    GC £150 a month for food, toiletries and cleaning Jan £134.58 Feb £137.18 Mar £118.89 April £
    Forever learning the art of frugality
  • Doom_and_Gloom
    Doom_and_Gloom Posts: 4,695 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Spent £19.42 since last post.

£124.28/£155.
    £30.72 left.
    I am a vegan woman. My OH is a lovely omni guy :D
  • YorksLass
    YorksLass Posts: 1,720 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    I've just realised I didn't post last week :doh: (RL and all that), so here's an update.

Week 2: Small spend at Co-op (milk), Friday market trip and stock-up shop at Sainsburys. Total spend: £32.57 and 5 NSDs.

Week 3: Co-op shop (milk, beef spread, box of dried peas and YS bag of baby potatoes). The Fultons frozen foods stall in Leeds market closed a while back and this is where we normally buy our packs of Chinese curry sauce (2 for £1 and very authentic ). As we've exhausted our stash of them, DH caught the bus to Harrogate and bought some there, so that was £4 out of the (separate) bulk fund.

While he was doing this, I was at the dentist :( and paid £50+ for NHS check-up and private scale and polish :(:(. After this, a much more pleasant drop-in at 5 CSs for a mooch. Bought 5 children's books for £1 (Xmas pressies) and 3 travel size toiletries for £1.50 that I'll be using when we go on holiday later in the year. Shampoo, shower gel and body lotion, all l'Occitaine in verbena & ginger fragrance. :)

Today - trip to market (new potatoes, lunch tongue, turkey slices and 2 pork pies). Weekly shop at Sainsburys but not too bad. £1.05 saved on promotional items, an enormous YS cod fillet that will do two of us for a mid-week meal (now in freezer), extra bonus points on two items, used a £3 MOC and bill came to £20.29.

Total for Week 3 = £37.48 and 5NSDs.

There's £44.70 left in the budget and - apart from milk - I won't need any shopping at all for Week 4. There's plenty of fresh stuff in the fridge, the freezer is rammed to the point that I can't shoe-horn anything else into it :o and the store cupboards are looking very healthy. And it's rubber chicken week too! :D

It looks as if I'll be making 4 weeks dosh stretch over 5 weeks so I'm feeling pretty pleased with how it's all going.
    Be kind to others and to yourself too.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport