PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

May 2018 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• pipkin71
    pipkin71 Posts: 21,821 Forumite
    Options
    zafiro1984 wrote: »
    Spent 30.16 at the weekend on essentials which brings the total up to 76.57/150 and its half way through the month so I think if I'm careful I should be OK. Next shop will be for the dog as he's getting low on food, maybe I could have a look in the freezer and use some of that for him.

I don't know if you feed your dog a meat or dog food diet, but since you mentioned the freezer, I often buy three chicken for £10.00 from M&S, cook them in the slow cooker then strip and freeze portions for the dogs, which gives quite a few meals as they're Jack Russells. It's useful if they can't eat what others in the house are eating. They also like a mix of rice, eggs and minced up meat, cooked like a meatloaf and sliced.
    There is something delicious about writing the first words of a story. You never quite know where they'll take you - Beatrix Potter
  • MadamMim2013
    MadamMim2013 Posts: 887 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    A spend in both Mr A and Mr L's of £72.96 combined, bringing my total spend up to £203.56.
    I'm v happy with this, could have been much worse, I have been really strict with myself over spending out unnecessarily.:j
    Am slightly concerned as to the end of the month as it will be DS1's 18th:eek:, will cross that bridge when it comes about..
    "There's a little witch in all of us"🥰
    DEBT FREE 06/2018
    MrsSD 2023 Decluttering Campaign:
    🏅⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • Doom_and_Gloom
    Doom_and_Gloom Posts: 4,695 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Spent £18.71 since last post.

£104.86/£155.
    £50.14 left.

Looks bad but we do have lots in the freezer and cupboards. Most of what we need is fresh. We should be fine.
    I am a vegan woman. My OH is a lovely omni guy :D
  • Merlin's_Beard
    Merlin's_Beard Posts: 1,436 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    £76.36/£100, £23 left...
    Start mortgage date: August 2022; Start mortgage amount: £240,999; Original mortgage free date: August 2056
    Current mortgage amount: £233.529.75
    Start student loan 2012: £29,750; current student loan: £11.400.50; OP offset fund: £750
  • supersaver1000
    supersaver1000 Posts: 2,465 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Had another go at making a 'slay the dragon' - couldn't find any recipes anywhere but found something similar and then found a pineapple rassam recipe. Mixed the two together (did double spices this time)and added the baby onions (well, shallots), cherry tomatoes and peppers together with the chunks of pineapple and chicken. Came out really well, won't put as much water in next time and will try adding some brown sugar to try and get that syrupy texture. Slay the dragon is a bit like an indian sweet and sour. It went down very well again - am really liking this experimenting - not quite master chef though.

Spent a quid at lunchtime again but not much else. I drew down my PayPal money and bank reward cash and now have £25 in the food budget, plus a tenner in my purse. Should get some more in the bank by Friday as well, so will survive to the end of the month but will break the £300. Not unhappy though as there have been a few extras this month - more so than normal.
    OSWL (start 13st) by 30Jun20 6/10
    £1/day Xmas'20-62 £214/£366 saved
    Grocery Challenge Jun £742/£320 spent
    Homeowner wannabe by July 2020 - WooHoo!!
    Starter Emergency Fund £1000/£1000 saved
  • K9sandFelines
    K9sandFelines Posts: 2,573 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic Combo Breaker
    Options
    Just logging this here ,so I don't forget but will add later.
    Spent £4.18yesterday in Morrisons and 54p at work.

Half way there people :T
    GC £150 a month for food, toiletries and cleaning Jan £134.58 Feb £137.18 Mar £118.89 April £
    Forever learning the art of frugality
  • turtlemonkey
    Options
    Nipped into Waitrose yesterday as I was driving past anyway - I don't usually shop there, but since I live so far from all the supermarkets it works out cheaper to shop there and avoid the petrol cost of driving to a cheaper store. I spent £11.89 on food, all of it organic veg plus a vanilla yogurt to go with the organic blueberries I bought (both were on offer).

I am now halfway through the month and halfway through my budget, but I have lots of food at home so I am still hoping to come in under budget at the end of May.

Total spend on groceries so far in May: £54.55. Left in budget: £55.45. NSDs: 8
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Pipney Jane - Thanks very much for the recipes. I'm vegan, but definately can do the pesto, swapping the cheese for nutritional yeast and will have a go another time at the nut roast, using something instead of eggs.

JingsMyBucket - Like the sound of the lentil curry - I do a ton of curries, but never made that. I have a ton of red/brown lentils. Also have a ton of cauliflower, which is destined for caulflower rice for the freezer, but definately will save some back for that salad.

I have only spent £10.61 grocery this month. I have been going through stores of jars, packets, eating various pastas, lentils, beans etc I have in stores. Also, I have been taking rolls from work and and using them with homemade burgers and salad. I need lettuce, cucumber, vegan cheese/mayo, cabbage, spinach, nutritional yeast, so some spends on the cards. ANYWAY, 95p spent on some mushrooms and £2.79 on alcohol (the first of the month - wow !!). Have updated sig.
  • zafiro1984
    zafiro1984 Posts: 2,445 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Called in a Sainsbobs yesterday on the way home from the Hospital to get some dog food and coffee. £40.80 spent.
    That will teach me not to go shopping without a list. But to add insult to injury I came home to read Pipkin71 brilliant posting (higher up this page) about making a meatloaf for the dog. Now I'm not only annoyed about spending but also feel stupid - lesson learnt.
  • pipkin71
    pipkin71 Posts: 21,821 Forumite
    Options
    zafiro1984 wrote: »
    Called in a Sainsbobs yesterday on the way home from the Hospital to get some dog food and coffee. £40.80 spent.
    That will teach me not to go shopping without a list. But to add insult to injury I came home to read Pipkin71 brilliant posting (higher up this page) about making a meatloaf for the dog. Now I'm not only annoyed about spending but also feel stupid - lesson learnt.

There are loads of doggie meatloaf recipes if you Google, zafiro. They can even have the egg shells - just blend them in with everything else :)
    There is something delicious about writing the first words of a story. You never quite know where they'll take you - Beatrix Potter
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure