IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

Parking fine cancelled then reinstated

Options

Comments

• JodyGray
    JodyGray Posts: 43 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Nosferatu, the signs have been in place since jan2017- I informed POPLA of the inaccuracy of PE's claims but they had no interest whatsoever. You cannot challenge their decision and to be honest I wish I had never heard of POPLA. Parking Eye informed me about them and now use them to cement their case.
  • KeithP
    KeithP Posts: 37,638 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    But if you had never heard about PoPLA you would be in exactly the same position as you are now, wouldn't you?

I would suggest a more suitable statement would be 'I wish I had heard about PoPLA sooner and had sent a more appropriate PoPLA appeal'.
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 131,669 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    edited 29 April 2018 at 5:16PM
    Options
    JodyGray wrote: »
    FAO Coupon-mad:

The original PCN notice was for £60 rising to £100 if not paid within 28 days, thus the current outstanding amount is £100.

Yes...I know that, we do this every day, I see these every day and have done for ten years! But I've already told you we know PE settle for £60 when retailers or Hotels actually bother to complain properly for a customer. Hence why I said £60. Sometimes they cancel completely, to shut a retailer/Hotel client up, to make them think they are reasonable.
    Parking Eye have sent me a county claim letter with the threat of rising costs. There was a section where they offer an instalment option but they state it may not be accepted. I have 30 days to reply from Friday; 28 days now.
    So of course you've immediately scanned that letter and sent it to the nice Head Office person at the Hotel HO, and told them how scared you feel and how time is of the essence in cancelling this horrendous intimidation? Ask if they are happy that their patrons are receiving court claims and tell them this next 28 days is your last chance for them to cancel it, before an actual claim arrives and that Parking Eye are notorious, a very nasty company outed by Parliament by name in February, and not the sort of firm a decent Hotel should be letting loose with customer data:

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5787731

https://parliamentlive.tv/event/index/2f0384f2-eba5-4fff-ab07-cf24b6a22918?in=12:49:41

https://hansard.parliament.uk/Commons/2018-02-02/debates/CC84AF5E-AC6E-4E14-81B1-066E6A892807/Parking(CodeOfPractice)Bill
    Kevin Brennan MP
    Does my hon. Friend acknowledge that public authorities have a responsibility not to engage private parking companies that act irresponsibly? In my constituency, I have had dozens of complaints about ParkingEye...

Stephen Doughty MP
    I completely agree; I have had problems with ParkingEye too.

Other MPs unanimously condemned the ''scam'':
    ''outrageous abuses''; ''years of abuse by rogue parking companies, and I wish his Bill every success'';

Ask why MPs get it, that the entire industry is rotten, but the Hotel is seemingly utterly oblivious to the truth about the true agenda of their agent (money, not parking management).

Ask if they are actually happy for the sake of a £50/£60 settlement to the aggressor, to let ParkingEye sue, threaten and frighten Hotel customers and drive people away in droves, away for the future. State that this must be happening all the time and many customers would be so scared they would have just paid, thinking it was a real parking ticket from an authority, and of course the Hotel remains uninformed as to why people are not returning. This regime does not fit with the Hotel's customer service ethic.

Tel them to wake up and smell the coffee.
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • JodyGray
    Options
    Keith, no that is incorrect. HI are saying because of POPLA's involvement they will not cancel as they originally said. This is the only reason they are giving so clearly if I hadn't appealed to POPLA the PCN notice would be cancelled. I appreciate knowing what I do now then I would of gone about appealing differently but hindsight is a wonderful thing.
  • JodyGray
    Options
    Coupon-mad, I know yourself and others are equipped with a vast knowledge and excellent advice which is greatly appreciated and your ongoing support is giving me hope and the spirit to fight what is an injustice. They are asking for £100, Just wanted to be clear about that.
  • JodyGray
    Options
    The HI hq complaints procedure initiates with filling in a form. Until I hear back from them (hopefully today) it is probably best to wait. Coupon-mads points are good ones and I will follow up.
  • nosferatu1001
    nosferatu1001 Posts: 12,961 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Tell HI to cancel the damn ticket, as PE lied to POPLA about when the signs were in place.
  • Half_way
    Half_way Posts: 7,053 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    The decisions of POPLA have no bearing whatsoever on Holiday inn.
    If the landowner says cancel, then that's it, POPLA is completely irrelevant.
    What's happened is some clueless manager has consulted with either the PPC, or looked at the ppcs user/site manual, which again, to you is meaningless.
    If the landowner, or someone acting on their behalf, such as a member of staff says its cancelled then that should be it.
    From the Plain Language Commission:

"The BPA has surely become one of the most socially dangerous organisations in the UK"
  • JodyGray
    Options
    Half-way, reading your message was like reading the many messages I have sent HI. Here is the latest response from their ops manager -

Dear Jody,!

At no point have I changed my stance on the information which you have presented, which did not include POPLA. AS outlined multiple times, once POPLA have made a ruling, we as land owners are not in a position to overrule.!

Mr Gray, there is nothing more we as the hotel can do to support in this case and there will be no further communication.!

Regards,
    Ben Ringer
    Operations Manager

Parking Team!
    Holiday Inn Guildford!|!Egerton Road, Guildford, Surrey, GU2 7XZ

Main Switchboard:!+44 (0)871 942 9036
    parking@higuildford.co.uk
    https://www.higuildfordhotel.co.uk/

This hotel is owned by!Ribbon Guildford Limited!and operated by Lapithus Hotels Management UK Limited under licence from IHG Hotels Limited!!!

On 30 April 2018 at 09:24, <jog875@aol.com> wrote:
    Dear Ben,

! Thank you for your response. You have changed your mind and you were aware of all the facts in this case. POPLA's involvement is irrelevant to this and your point of over-ruling is ridiculous.
    !! There are now hundreds of people watching this online and can you please answer the previous question.... If POPLA were not involved you would of percivered in cancelling the PCN notice?
    !!! It's important that members of the public have an understanding of how the Holiday Inn operates in relation to the use of notorius companies such as Parking Eye in an unregulated industry.

!! Thanks

!!! Jody Gray

On Sunday, 29 April 2018 Parking HI Guildford <parking@higuildford.co.uk> wrote:

Hi Jody,!

As outlined multiple times before, we have not changed our mind. We agreed, and did, submit a cancellation request based on the information you had provided, which was declined on the basis of the POPLA appeal (for which we were not aware of). As outlined before, POPLA are the independent appeals committee and there ruling is final say on the parking fine, we are not in a position to overrule POPLA.!

Jody, as I have said before I understand your frustration but as a hotel there is nothing more we can do to support in this case.!

Regards,
    Ben Ringer
    Operations Manager

Parking Team!

This hotel is owned by!Ribbon Guildford Limited!and operated by Lapithus Hotels Management UK Limited under licence from IHG Hotels Limited!!!

On 24 April 2018 at 19:51, <jog875@aol.com> wrote:
    Dear Ben,

! Thank you for your email, however I am still awaiting a reason as for your change of mind regarding cancellation for the inappropriate fine. You state you were unaware of all the details which isn't correct. We liased through email and I answered truthfully any questions you had.
    ! You state you were unaware of POPLA being involved but what difference does that make? If I had contacted yourselves before 'parking eye' or POPLA then you would of cancelled? This seems ridiculous and if it's the case then it's my duty to inform other motorists of how the 'Holiday Inn' acts in these matters.

! Regards

Jody Gray

On Tuesday, 24 April 2018 Parking HI Guildford <parking@higuildford.co.uk> wrote:
    Dear Jody,!

As is have outlined in my prior emails, at no point was a notice of cancellation given. A confirmation of "request of cancellation" was sent, however we did not have the full details regarding your appeal to POPLA, which then leaves us in the situation we are in. Had we have been given the full facts from yourself, we would have been able to advise from the first moment.!

Jody, Our car park operates in the same way as thousands of others in this country including government run operations and whilst I completely understand your frustration, and anyones, with receiving a fine, ultimately the rules of our car park have not been followed and therefore a fine has been presented.!

You are more than welcome to contact our head office, who will in turn point you back in the direction of the hotel as we manage all daily operations at hotel level and car parking is one of these, and the threat of such action does not change the situation that the countries unaffiliated appeals committee POPLA has rejected your appeal and upholds your fine.!

With regards to head office contact, the best place would be the link below to reach the team.!
    https://www.ihg.com/hotels/gb/en/customer-care/

Mr Gray, we as a hotel have tried to support you in the first instance but on the findings of all information needed it puts us in a position where we are unable to cancel/overturn, I apologise for any distress caused.!

Kind Regards,
    Ben Ringer
    Operations

Parking Team!

On 22 April 2018 at 00:55, <jog875@aol.com> wrote:
    Hi Ben,

! I have been discussing this on the country's largest forum (MSE) and it seems 'parking eye' and other alike operators may well be out of business by the end of the year due to unscrupulous activities. In February MP's exposed the scam and hundreds of readers are waiting to see how Holiday Inn deal with this especially since notice of cancellation was given.
    Holiday Inn can cancel the fine but it has to come from Holiday Inn HQ. There are many cases where Holiday Inn have resolved the issue because the customer comes first. Public authorities have a responsibility not to engage with private parking companies that act irresponsibly.
    ! I will continue to fight this injustice and would appreciate the relevant contact details at Holiday Inn HQ please.
    !
    Regards

Mr J Gray

Sent from AOL Mobile Mail

On Thursday, 19 April 2018 Parking HI Guildford <parking@higuildford.co.uk> wrote:
    Dear Jody,!

I do apologies that you feel this way but as we were not made aware of the full circumstances regarding the POPLA appeal we gave advice based on what we knew.!

At no point did we confirm we had cancelled the fine, we requested a cancellation from ParkingEye as the operated of our car park who then replied to notify that this fined had been appealed to POPLA and therefore, even as land owner, I am unable to reverse or cancel.!

Unfortunately, this case is now a matter between yourself and ParkingEye and should you wish to seek legal advice this is at your discretion.!

Regards,
    Ben Ringer
    Operations Manager

Parking Team!

On 19 April 2018 at 12:48, <jog875@aol.com> wrote:

Hi,

! POPLA are an independent organisation who take an unbiased view in parking related issues with their members, parking Eye, POPLA and myself agree the fine was given legitimately. As I have previously stated neither take into account mitigating circumstances unlike yourselves who did and subsequently sent me notice of cancelling the fine. By popla upholding parking eye's claim I was left with yourselves who understood the circumstances and acted accordingly.
    ! The rules and regulations as you state are not affected by popla's decision. It makes no sense that you cancel then change your mind? You are not bound by popla's decision.
    !! I very much appreciated and thanked yourselves for cancelling the fine because you took into account the mitigating circumstances.! It seems I need to seek legal advice because as far as I'm concerned the fine has been rightly cancelled by the land owner.

Regards

Jody Gray

On Wednesday, 18 April 2018 Parking HI Guildford <parking@higuildford.co.uk> wrote:
    Jody,!

I fully appreciate your feelings and understand your confusion which I had tried to clear up in my prior email.!

Once we are made aware of parking fines we are in a position to support and request cancellation. However, once a fine has be appealed with POPLA, who as a independent appeals committee are not linked to either hotels or the parking industry, we cannot overrule those decisions.!

At the time of offering a cancellation request email to be sent, we had not been made aware of the outstanding POPLA appeal and therefore did not have all the information to hand which would have lead us to advising differently.!

Jody, I am sorry we are not in a position to help, and whilst we do understand your distress unfortunately the guidelines do have to be followed.!

With Sympathy,!
    Holiday Inn Parking Team

Parking Team!

On 15 April 2018 at 12:53, <jog875@aol.com> wrote:
    Hi,

POPLA rejected the appeal as the parking fine was valid. Parking Eye and Popla won't take into account mitigating circumstances as previously stated. Popla and the CAB advised me to contact yourselves as the land is owned by the Holiday Inn and therefore may be able to take into account the mitigating circumstances.

! You kindly appreciated that clearly I was in some distress and parked unknowingly that I was committing an offence. This was a relief that yourselves understood the situation and restored my faith in human nature.

! Yourselves then confirmed by email intent to cancel the fine. I don't really understand why you have changed your position on this? It's holiday Inn property. It seems I should of contacted yourselves first which would of saved a lot of stress.

Regards

Jody Gray

On Friday, 13 April 2018 Parking HI Guildford <parking@higuildford.co.uk> wrote:
    Dear Jody,!

Unfortunately as POPLA is an independent appeals committee, we have no way of telling if you have already contact them.!

Once a POPLA case is open, or they have given a verdict on the matter, we are unable to step in and cancel/work on any fines. The initial email from ourselves was that we would process a cancellation request, and on doing so it has discovered that you had already appealed with POPLA and they have upheld the fine.!

Regards,
    Holiday Inn Parking Team

Holiday Inn Guildford!|!Egerton Road, Guildford, GU2 7XZ, United Kingdom
    Hotel Switchboard: +44 (0)871 942 9036
    Fax: +44 (0)1483 457256

Hotel Website

This Hotel is Owned by HI (Guildford) Ltd and Operated by Ribbon HI Ltd under licence from IHG Ltd

On 12 April 2018 at 20:54, <jog875@aol.com> wrote:
    Hi,
    !!!! parking eye's statement is incorrect, I appealed to them 1st then they directed me to 'popla'. They both say I was parked on private land so are bound by the hotel's parking scheme, the mitigating circumstances were only taken into account when I contacted yourselves - finally someone cared that I might of been in considerable distress and understood that I was completely unaware of any parking restrictions.
    !!! I don't understand why you have sent this email prior to a cancellation notice.

On Thursday, 12 April 2018 Parking HI Guildford <parking@higuildford.co.uk> wrote:
    Dear Jody,
    We have received the below from Parking Eye in response to our cancellation request. Regrettably, if an appeal is lodged with POPLA it renders Parking Eye (and ourselves) unable to intervene. This is because POPLA is the independent body for appeals for parking charge noyiced issued on private land.

As you have liaised with POPLA thus far, we can only advise you to continue to do so with them directly as the matter now falls outside of our juristiction I'm afraid.

!!!8203;Good afternoon,
    !

Unfortunately we wouldn’t be able to cancel at this stage as the motorist has appealed to a separate company to ourselves called POPLA and their appeal was rejected.

!

!

Thanks,

!

!

Administration Team

Part of Capita Parking Services

T: 01772 450970

https://www.capita.co.uk!|!www.parkingeye.co.uk

!

!

Holiday Inn Guildford!|!Egerton Road, Guildford, GU2 7XZ, United Kingdom

Hotel Website

This Hotel is Owned by HI (Guildford) Ltd and Operated by Ribbon HI Ltd under licence from IHG Ltd

So there it is the entire conversation.....
  • JodyGray
    Options
    Correction these were missing including the intent to cancel......

Dear Jody,

Thank you for your email regarding the parking charge from ParkingEye, that you received recently when visiting the Holiday Inn Guildford.

Please accept this email as confirmation that a cancellation request has been submitted to the car park management provider. A response on this case should be confirmed by ParkingEye within the next 28 working days. If needed, you should be able to request an update on the timescale for cancellation from ParkingEye (please allow at least five working days from today for them to update their records with our cancellation request) via https://portal.parkingeye.co.uk/.

It is possible that you will receive reminders for this charge to be paid during the time you are waiting for the official response from ParkingEye. These reminders can be ignored but if more than two reminders are received it is recommended that you contact ParkingEye directly for an update, quoting the reference on the original parking charge notice.

Avoiding Parking Charge Notices in the future:
    Please remember to register your full and correct vehicle registration, using the touch-screen ParkingEye terminals located throughout the hotel or pay the correct parking tariff if applicable when visiting. Complimentary parking is provided when spending £10.00 or more in the bar/restaurant (per vehicle parked) or when you are staying in the hotel. Each parking charge notice cancellation request is assessed on a case-by-case basis and we may not be able to request cancellation of further charges should the correct process not be followed. For further information, please refer to the terms and conditions of parking printed on the display signage in the car park or ask a member of staff.

With Regards,
    Holiday Inn Guildford Parking Team

Holiday Inn Guildford | Egerton Road, Guildford, GU2 7XZ, United Kingdom

Hotel Website

On 27 March 2018 at 13:03, <jog875@aol.com> wrote:
    Hi,

Thank you for the prompt response, also thanks for the kind remarks regarding my ill health on that evening - suspected food poisoning as I was much better the following day but my wife and kids had eaten the same so not sure and I do the cooking so.....best forgotten!!
    I sincerely had no idea of the parking conditions and the state I was in rendered my observation skills next to useless.
    I have attached the information requested and hope that it's perfectly readable, any problems let me know.
    Thanks again for your consideration, greatly appreciated.

Jody

On Tuesday, 27 March 2018 Parking HI Guildford <parking@higuildford.co.uk> wrote:
    Dear Jody,
    sorry to hear that you were unwell, I'm glad you were able to rest at the venue. The parking controls have been in place for almost a year but I am sorry that this was not mentioned to you while you were onsite. If you could supply some details from the parking charge notice, we can request a cancellation on your behalf from Parking Eye. The details we require will be at the top right hand corner of the notice (namely the reference number, date of event, car registration and your full name as it appears on the notice). Do feel free to take a photo of this and attach to your reply if this is easiest.

With Regards,
    Holiday Inn Guildford Parking Team

Holiday Inn Guildford | Egerton Road, Guildford, GU2 7XZ, United Kingdom

Hotel Website

Forwarded message
    Date: 27 March 2018 at 09:13
    Subject: Parking Eye
    To: reservations@higuildford.co.uk

Dear sir/madam

Just over a month ago on my way to work in the early evening, I started to feel extremely unwell in an emergency I used the bathroom facilities at the holiday Inn Guildford as it was just off the A3 and having stayed there in the past I knew where to go. It was over 30 mins until I felt able to drive home and obviously cancelled my work.
    A few days later I received a parking fine from 'parking eye' and after appealing the fine is now £100, the fact I was seeking refuge and was unaware of the parking limitations isn't taken into account. The last time I stayed at the holiday Inn these parking restrictions certainly were not in place.
    I contacted the Citizens Advice Bureau who advised me to contact yourselves. It's more than a little harsh to punish someone who had been in considerable pain at your establishment especially when the reception staff were so friendly and helpful.
    I am asking you please if you could possibly waive the fine in this instance? the evening was distressing enough without a fine as well.
    When looking for your email address it was clear that you have had many customers who are not happy with the parking limitations, though these are separate cases to my own.

Regards

Jody Gray
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family