IMPORTANT REMINDER: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information. If you are uploading images, please take extra care that you have redacted all personal information.
NOW OPEN. The MSE Forum's energy-themed Ask An Expert event is open for questions. Visit the dedicated board to ask MSE Gary & MSE Andrew about gas & electricity

Parking fine cancelled then reinstated

12346»

Replies

• JodyGrayJodyGray Forumite
    43 Posts
    10 Posts Second Anniversary
    Forumite
    Coupon-mad, my wife's sister and her husband are teachers with exactly the same opinion as yourself. I always make my own mind up on people but have to agree that whenever his name is mentioned it's in a negative way. I would say my email was on the 'fob off' list so whether Mr Gove saw it at all is unlikely, his secretary dealt with this in seconds but ought to address my title correctly !! It was worth a try though......
    43 Posts
    Forumite
    SUMMARY: The PCN has been reduced to £60 ( original amount ) due to the pressure applied from their corporate customer. My intention is to pay this and get rid of this nasty episode. It disgusts me to give these parasites anything but I want to end this asap.
    Parking Eye pay little if any attention to the landowners wishes and the Holiday Inn have very poor customer care skills both locally and their head office. They do not practice what they preach, have lied several times and the guaranteed 48hr resolution given to me from the Holiday Inn HQ 3 weeks ago was absolute garbage - still waiting.
    I'm not happy at all about what i consider to be theft from my family and the actions of the Holiday Inn fill me with complete disgust. The staff who I saw on the day were great but the management and above are no more than toothless cowards who are morally inept.
    Thanks for all the advice was kind and helpful, has been a roller coaster ride quite literally.
  • edited 30 May 2018 at 2:49AM
    Coupon-madCoupon-mad
    108.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    edited 30 May 2018 at 2:49AM
    WARNING TO NEWBIES: -

POST #58 (BELOW) SEEMS WELL-INTENTIONED BUT ALSO APPEARS SCRIPTED LIKE AN ADVERT OR NAME-DROP, POSTED BY A PERSON WHO WAS CONTACTED SPECULATIVELY 'OFF-FORUM' AND SEEMS GENUINELY UNAWARE THAT GOING OFF-FORUM IS NOT RECOMMENDED AND SEEMINGLY WITH NO IDEA OF REVIEWS IN THE PUBLIC DOMAIN:

https://uk.trustpilot.com/review/privateparkingappeals.co.uk

I believe that MSE as a whole (on forums and generally), has no reason to mistrust TrustPilot.

Nor do I.

I post the link above, for information and balance. Newbies need to check company reviews and be aware that people are not necessarily who they seem on t'internet, so no going off-forum.

If you have a PCN, stick to the forum. Do not post your email address like Jody Gray did. Anyone could contact you!

If you are randomly contacted by anyone (by pm or otherwise) offering to 'help' off forum - DO NOT GIVE THEM YOUR DATA AND PLEASE POST AND TELL US FIRST! Could be a parking firm, or anyone! Possibly someone you would not want to have your data.

Stay here on the forum where you are and will be assisted throughout, without giving your actual data to anyone except the parking firm/the landowner; only those parties who you make an informed choice to contact.

Beware of unsolicited contact made to you by anyone. In this case, in my experience, the same outcome would have been achieved anyway.
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • UmkomaasUmkomaas Forumite
    37.1K Posts
    Ninth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    I'm not happy at all about what i consider to be theft from my family and the actions of the Holiday Inn fill me with complete disgust. The staff who I saw on the day were great but the management and above are no more than toothless cowards who are morally inept.
    Let them have it .....!

https://www.facebook.com/HolidayInn/
    Please note, we are not a legal advice forum. I personally don't get involved in critiquing court case Defences/Witness Statements, so unable to help on that front. Please don't ask. .
    I provide only my personal opinion, it is not a legal opinion, it is simply a personal one. I am not a lawyer.
    Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.
    43 Posts
    Forumite
    I commented on their page, it will take them less time to delete and they won't reply - these people are very low on moral fibre - sadly this is growing ever common amongst people in positions of responsibility. I've wasted enough time dealing with these charlatans.
  • Half_wayHalf_way Forumite
    6.4K Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    If you are thinking about making a claim via the County court ( small claims track) the you should also make/keep an accurate as possible log on how much time you are spending on this, you can charge upto £19 per hour, however, personally i wouldn't claim as much as that as you need to put in a reasonable claim.

Also make a note of any stress/worry/loss of sleep that this has caused you.

If you haven't already contact Holiday inn, and let them know about this thread.

Depending on where the Holiday inn is, there may be a hoteliers association, local business association, tourist board/agency and so on, make sure you complain to them as well.

Also try here https://www.ihgplc.com/en/about-us/our-leadership/executive-committee
    From the Plain Language Commission:

"The BPA has surely become one of the most socially dangerous organisations in the UK"
    43 Posts
    Forumite
    Final comment.
    I complained to all the aforementioned with no success and no replys in a lot of cases.
    The manager at Guildford Holiday Inn finally cancelled the charge due to the following actions:

A. Whilst on this thread I was contacted by Mr John Wilkie of PPA (Private Parking Appeals) through my email which I left on the thread.

B. Mr Wilkie took on the case on a pro-bono basis and continually bombarded the Holiday Inn with very strong worded emails, with reference to their actions, behaviour and false statements.

C. After a couple of weeks the General Manager of HI Guildford gave in and cancelled the fine which apparently they couldn't do.

D. I visited the Parking Eye site and the section of the PCN to find it had been cancelled. Parking Eye never told me this.

Is it worth all the time taken going backwards and forwards? For me it was as in the end justice was served thanks to the exploits of PPA and Mr Wilkie which resulted after posting a thread here.

Thank you for all the advice and comments.

Jody Gray
  • Half_wayHalf_way Forumite
    6.4K Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    At the very least you've given them a headache, but please stop calling this a fine.
    If you get another parking charge notice, and refer to it as a fine especially when dealing with other parties to get it cancelled then it can make things harder for you, in particular if you have a hire car
    From the Plain Language Commission:

"The BPA has surely become one of the most socially dangerous organisations in the UK"
  • kilberrykilberry Forumite
    11 Posts
    Just reading this thread in relation to a PCN received from a different hotel. Would someone mind advising on the important subtleties or whether to call it a "fine" or not? In other threads (though I admit I may have misunderstood), I thought that if the landowner or their agent refer to it as a "fine", then actually it strengthens your case, as they have no legal basis to try and impose a fine? Would welcome your thoughts on this.
  • kilberrykilberry Forumite
    11 Posts
    Oh, and Jody - much respect to you!! You have clearly put a lot of time and effort into pursuing this to the fullest extent in order to achieve a just result. I greatly admire the stance you have taken, your clearly strong moral compass and how your actions have highlighted some very ineffectual and questionable management practice and lack of customer service in HI. It speaks volumes about the company, and I hope many people read your thread and question whether HI is a company to which they wish to give their custom. Have a lovely Bank Holiday!
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Homes, hornets & high heels

This week's MSE Forum highlights

MSE Forum

Kids eat for 'free' or £1 this summer

Little ones can enjoy hot meals for less

MSE Deals