CREDIT APPLICATIONS - Not registered at address but on the Electoral Roll?

Options
After being told I had a 'very good credit score' for someone of my age and student status at my bank recently, I thought it was time (after much hesitation) that I allow myself to apply for credit.

I visited a mobile phone store to obtain a device on 'contract' and in the application for credit was horrified to see that I had been declined. I was confused from the beginning as although he said it was a hard search, he did not ask me for 3 years worth of address or any financial income details... None the less, the store could give me no explanation as to why I was declined credit and I was concerned as to why it had happened after the words of encouragement I received from my bank.

Later that day, a friend who works in car rental ran my details through an identity check software called ' I.D 3' (the software checks a person is who they say they are and that they are registered to an address, and their details are accurate and up to date). My search returned red flags for all the different sub-sections- no landline, surname not registered at that address and not on the electoral roll... I had no green flags what so ever, and as you can imagine was quite scared at this point.

I wasn't surprised about the landline, as the internet and indeed all of the household bills are paid for through my fiance's account, and I bank transfer him half at the beginning of every month, however, I KNEW I was on the electoral roll as in the recent Brexit election, my polling card was delivered to me via post to the address in question and I also registered to vote whilst at this address online. To eliminate any uncertainty though, I went into my local council offices to double check everything was well, they assured me I was on the 'Electoral Roll' and they were as unsure as I was as to why the credit reference agencies did not know I was there. I also confirmed with my banks (HSBC and Lloyds) who also confirmed that my address details are up-to-date and accurate just in case that was a factoring issue.

I later had a look online at my personal details for my credit score trackers. I found that both 'Experian' and 'ClearScore' do not know I live at this address, and I am alarmed as to why credit reference agencies and brokers alike are unaware of my residential status.
I would like to start to build my credit score ready to apply for a mortgage in a few years and help to pay off my upcoming wedding through the aid of credit cards and short 'good' term debt, and feel I am unable to apply until the issue is resolved, for fear of damaging the credit score I have worked hard to protect!

Could someone help to shed some light on the situation or advise me on the next steps I should take to resolve the matter?

Thanks in advance! -Tiffany x

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    It may be that the CRAs have not yet received your council's ER updates.

They may do it manually if you contact them. Raise a dispute with each of them.

Remember that you don't have a credit score, so please don't use the pretend ones from the CRAs as a guide.
  • Krisko
    Krisko Posts: 61 Forumite
    Options
    It might not be all that strange that you couldn't get a device financed if you don't have any credit history apart from your two current accounts. I wouldn't be very concerned about this.

I'm not completely sure what you mean by Experian and Clearscore (Equifax) not knowing your residential address. Do you show as not registered on the electoral roll on your reports? If that's the case I'd give them a call.
    Is your HSBC and Lloyds accounts showing on you report (reporting to your current address)?
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    It may be that the CRAs have not yet received your council's ER updates.

They may do it manually if you contact them. Raise a dispute with each of them.

Remember that you don't have a credit score, so please don't use the pretend ones from the CRAs as a guide.

Nor when declined for a loan say you have an very good score so you should be given a loan.

OP have you actuallly checked your credit files, dont take the bank staffs word your sxore is very good, not that it means much.
  • ywlgy
    ywlgy Posts: 146 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Maybe OP didn't even pass the first check when accessing reports so couldn't check them.

OP, do you live in a flat. The address format could cause some problems.

Also I didn't pass that ID3 check. I am surprised to know the staff can actually see what subsections are flagged. The lad in Enterprise told me he couldn't see.
  • Dobbibill
    Dobbibill Posts: 4,136 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Hi Tiffany,
    Welcome to the forum.

It can take time for address details to filter through to CRAs. A relative of mine had diffculties with some of the CRAs not updating even months after moving and like you being registered to vote.

Raise a dispute with each of the CRAs that hold inaccurate information.

You can check all 3 with these links
    Experian via MSE Credit Club https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/creditclub
    Equifax via Clearscore https://www.clearscore.com/
    Call Credit via Noddle https://www.noddle.co.uk/
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Budgeting & Bank Accounts, Credit Cards, Credit File & Ratings and Energy boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

If you can't be the best -
    Just be better than you were yesterday.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family