Busy Mee's Last Leg

Options
1848586878890»

Comments

• Cornish_mum
    Cornish_mum Posts: 630 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Dear BusyMee, I am very sorry to hear about your FIL. Many congratulations on DD’s baby that’s lovely news. Very nice to see you back and finding out what you have been doing since retirement. CM
  • Suffolk_lass
    Suffolk_lass Posts: 9,345 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Hooray you are back (me too, but mine is a two week holiday with only slight withdrawal symptoms from here). I am so pleased your retirement experience echoes mine - all the reassurances that other things simply fill the work void and we are never bored, I just don't think others believe it until they have it for themselves.

I am sorry to hear about your FIL - it is hard. My Mum (92) is feeling a bit slower and less inclined to do stuff. I suspect she has mild heart failure (they only ever did one side when she was 87, and I suspect at 92 they would consider her too old now) but she still takes pleasure in life and managed a lovely roast and shepherd's pie while we were staying with her a fortnight ago (when I removed a whole shoulder of lamb from her freezer and announced we should eat it while there were enough of us to warrant cooking it!)

Your grandchild too - what a delight. Treasure every moment! I don't need to say just how fast they grow. Congratulations and enjoy! Don't forget you can gift your grandchildren some tax free cash every year... should you wish to

Your finances sound sound, although I am personally very anti-interest paying, I understand the flexibility it offers, with other things to TIC.
    Save £12k in 2024 - #2 target is £5000 only £798.34 so far
    OS Grocery Challenge 2024 31.1% spent or £932.98/£3,000 annual
    I also Reverse Meal Plan on that thread and grow much of our own premium price fruit and veg, joining in on the Grow your own thread
    My Debt Free Diary Get a grip Woman
  • South_coast
    South_coast Posts: 4,918 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    My Mum and I disposed of £2.17 in coppers in the self-checkout the other day, as I refused to allow her to use the Coinstar on principle 🤣! We had plenty more, too - only stopped when it started spitting them back out as we must have filled it to capacity for those demoninations 😳 Going to intersperse with silver for our next visit 😀😀😀!

My BF has various drawers of doom, good luck with the clearing out!
    Mortgage start: £65,495 (March 2016)
    Cleared 🧚‍♀️🧚‍♀️🧚‍♀️!!! In 5 years, 1 month and 29 days
    Total amount repaid: £72,307.03. £1.10 repaid for every £1.00 borrowed

Finally earning interest instead of paying it!!!
  • maggiem
    maggiem Posts: 1,647 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Pleased to see you are back BusyMee. Sorry to hear about FIL. It's hard losing a parent and I think house clearing afterwards is one of the worst jobs I have ever had to do. Reminds me I must have another go through my house so it's not that awful for my children. 

Lovely to hear about new grandson though and that they have moved closer to you. New baby cuddles make everything better and it's fascinating watching them grow and develop - if rather exhausting too. There is definitely a reason we have children when we are younger😂😂😂

hope the budgeting goes well and you get the right balance too. 

• LadyGnome
    LadyGnome Posts: 801 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Lovely to see you back Busy Mee.  It's clearly been quite a rollercoaster.  Sympathy for your loss and congratulations on the good news.
    MortgageStart Nov 2012 £310,000
    Oct 2022 £143,277.74
    Reduction £166,722.26
    OriginalEnd Sept 2034 / Current official end Apr 2032 (but I have a cunning plan...)
    2022 MFW #78 £10200/£12000
    MFiT-6 #28 £21,772 /£75000
  • savingholmes
    savingholmes Posts: 27,396 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    The garden visit sounds lovely
    Achieve FIRE/Mortgage Neutrality by mid 2030
    1) MFW Nov 21 £201,999 with 237 payments to go - now £184,341 Equity 26.26%
    2) Spend on handyman & external building works & new patio door £12.3K
    3) CC £4.9K on 0% spends card but offset by £34.1K savings (part EF, part future home improvement)
    4) Mortgage neutral by June 2030 AVC £9.6K/£127.5K AVC target 7.5% value at 15/4
    5) FI Age 60 annual income target £13.7/30K 45.7%
  • Busy_Mee
    Busy_Mee Posts: 422 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 15 May 2022 at 1:04PM
    Options
    Morning. Back from my trip to give my Step Mum a break from caring for my Dad. He is being difficult again. Mum wanted to get carers to put him to bed as it is taking her ages (she is 82) and he wouldn't agree.

Anyway bad cop ( me) arrived and told him that if he wants to stay at home then he will have to. So he has reluctantly agreed but is barely speaking to me ......it is so stressful and draining. I was glad to get home.

We had a lovely day yesterday. The kids, dogs and Baby Mee came to watch the football and we had a barbecue. It was lovely and helped rid me of the stress of the previous few days.

In financial news I am loving the new Chase account. I have transferred our day to day living expenses and am using it like a pre loaded card. It is really helping with the budget, as I can see exactly where I am. The 1.5% on savings, 1% cashback on spending and the round up facility are all brilliant too.

I feel like I have a grip on our finances again. We have been leaking a lot of money since I retired and I feel much better to have control again.

In other frugalling news I have been feeding my 20p jar into the self service checkouts £10 at a time and then moving £10 into my odds and sods account.

I also had a great M&S haul this morning as I had a £5 off £40 spend. Lots of 3 for £10 offers and yellow stickers. So lots of things to make meals with.

Hope you are all having a great Sunday. I am looking after Baby Mee for a couple of hours this afternoon so think I will take him for a walk in the pushchair. ( Our very MSE second hand, scrubbed up like new pushchair 😊)
  • savingholmes
    savingholmes Posts: 27,396 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Enjoy your time with your grandson. Hopefully he outshines some of life's other challenges. 

Glad your money is back on track. Well done on helping your parents even if your Dad is unappreciative / finding it hard to adjust.
    Achieve FIRE/Mortgage Neutrality by mid 2030
    1) MFW Nov 21 £201,999 with 237 payments to go - now £184,341 Equity 26.26%
    2) Spend on handyman & external building works & new patio door £12.3K
    3) CC £4.9K on 0% spends card but offset by £34.1K savings (part EF, part future home improvement)
    4) Mortgage neutral by June 2030 AVC £9.6K/£127.5K AVC target 7.5% value at 15/4
    5) FI Age 60 annual income target £13.7/30K 45.7%
  • try_harder
    try_harder Posts: 1,527 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Missing you Busy_Mee 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts